Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Motorhome insurance question

Received quote from Blue Sky of $704/year for coverage as shown. Since this is my first experience, I do no know what it should be nor what coverage I should (must) have.

Coverage NameLimitDeductibleBodily Injury$100,000/$300,000
Property Damage$50,000
Comprehensive (Other Than Collision) $500
Collision $500
Personal Injury Protection Uninsured/Underinsured Bodily Injury$100,000/$300,000 Hurricane Catastrophe Fund Emergency Assessment
Policy Fee
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Forgot a ask about road service contracts. Is AAA OK?
Old 04-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

The total price you mention doesn't seem out of line to me but the limits of liability really depend on one's personal financial situation. It some cases they need to be higher than you quote.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #4

Adding my Welcome too...

Without knowing the make/model/year/gas or diesel or our motorhome, your premium seems reasonable. If your other vehicles are insured with the same company you may wish to consider an umbrella policy, appropriate to protect your assets.

After a couple very unsatisfactory experiences with rv AAA road service in California we dropped them in favor of Good Sam. We had had AAA for our autos and pickups for years but they did not have a clue as to what tow equipment would be right for our rv. Good Sam has been great for us. I also read generally favorable comments about Coach Net but I have not used them myself.

Satisfaction with AAA seems to vary around the country but now we avoid them.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #5

Vehicle insurance costs will vary depending on so many factors, it is almost impossible to say whether a quoted price is reasonable. The age/value of the insured vehicle, the driving records of operators, where it will be parked, how many miles it is used, the owner's credit score, what you do for a living, and where you live will all go into the rating. We carry higher limits on our liabilities. Our nephew blew a tire on his pickup and crashed into a Mercedes new car lot. $50K would not have covered even one of the cars he totaled. Is there coverage for contents included?

AAA is a group of regional offices. Not all provide the same level of rv coverage. If you find yourself in one of the non supported areas you might be on your own to find help, and then have to submit receipts later. You may want to compare Coach Net or Good Sam roadside assistance.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZDZIT View Post
Adding my Welcome too...

Without knowing the make/model/year/gas or diesel or our motorhome, your premium seems reasonable.
Satisfaction with AAA seems to vary around the country but now we avoid them.
I'm working on getting my info in the signature line - getting an error message.

1999 National Tradewinds 7371; Cat 3126; 6 Speed Allison
Old 04-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I'll add a vote for Coach Net as a roadside service provider.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

As for desirable coverages, that will also vary with your personal situation. For example, if you have other personal medical insurance, e.g. Medicare or health plan at work, there is no reason to pay for Uninsured Motorist Coverage on yourself (or your family either, if they have medical insurance as well). You might opt out of PIP for the same reason. Florida allows this, but agents rarely even explain it, let alone recommend doing without it.

Whether 100/300 is enough liability coverage is subjective. If you have a plenty of assets, you may be a target for a deep pockets lawsuit and want more insurance. Besides, it doesn't take long to run up a $100k medical bill these days if you injure someone and they are hospitalized or need surgery.

You have $500 deductible, which means you pay the first $500 towards any repairs on your RV. A higher deductible lowers the premium, while a lower one raises the premium. If you did not get quotes on both higher and lower deductibles before making a decision, ask for them now. You may find some savings - or you may find you can get much more coverage for only a few dollars a year.

Ask the agent if the liability coverage protects you while the RV is parked, at home or in a campground. Suppose a visitor falls down the step or walks into an awning arm? Are you covered? Some policies are essentially only applicable while the RV is in motion, i.e. you have to hit something with it. You may want additional coverage if that is the case, but before buying it, see if your homeowner or renter insurance covers you for that sort of thing.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
For example, if you have other personal medical insurance, e.g. Medicare or health plan at work, there is no reason to pay for Uninsured Motorist Coverage on yourself (or your family either, if they have medical insurance as well). You might opt out of PIP for the same reason. Florida allows this, but agents rarely even explain it, let alone recommend doing without it.

You may find some savings - or you may find you can get much more coverage for only a few dollars a year.

Ask the agent if the liability coverage protects you while the RV is parked, at home or in a campground. Suppose a visitor falls down the step or walks into an awning arm? Are you covered? Some policies are essentially only applicable while the RV is in motion, i.e. you have to hit something with it. You may want additional coverage if that is the case, but before buying it, see if your homeowner or renter insurance covers you for that sort of thing.
Thanks, Gary
Your last paragraph was enlightening. I need to check those issues.

I've had the uninsured and PIP arguments/discussions with a couple of my auto agents.

I see we are in the same neck of the ONF. Where are you?
Old 04-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm sure that your insurance agent would be happy not to tell you cost savings loopholes , unless you ask him the correct question and exactly what you want, you would be surprised how much $$$ you can save without renewing your policy.

Insurance agents tend to not offer any valuable information for cost savings.

Good luck,

James
Jimooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Property Damage$50,000
When I first looked at what was available and what amounts were mandatory, I was amazed at how low the offered coverage amounts were. They wouldn't fully cover the cost of replacing a derelict chicken coop let alone the cost of a multiple vehicle collision that was my doing.

Took three attempts before the progressive agent reluctantly raised all the coverage to the maximum possible and even then it seemed too low. He kept saying that no American bothers with such coverage.
I recently dropped the coverage to the minimums allowable under CA law because it won't be on the road for nearly a year, and the coverage is absolutely paltry - which perhaps explains the claimed high incidence of at fault drivers trying to do a runner if at all possible.

Quote:
State requirements of $15,000 per person / $30,000 per accident and $10,000 property damage (liability), lowering your Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage to $10,000 each person/$30,000 per accident, reducing your Vacation Liability to $10,000 and removing your personal Effects coverage to $0, having the usage at less than 30 days
Old 04-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
Received quote from Blue Sky of $704/year for coverage as shown. Since this is my first experience, I do no know what it should be nor what coverage I should (must) have.

Coverage NameLimitDeductibleBodily Injury$100,000/$300,000
Property Damage$50,000
Comprehensive (Other Than Collision) $500
Collision $500
Personal Injury Protection Uninsured/Underinsured Bodily Injury$100,000/$300,000 Hurricane Catastrophe Fund Emergency Assessment
Policy Fee
The liability limits you'll want are dependant on your personal assets. The more you own, the more you have to protect. Someone with nothing, who's only income is their Social Security check, needs only the minimum required by law. A multi gazzillionaire probably can't buy enough. Most of us are somewhere in between.

Do you have a 401k or IRA account? Do you collect a private pension? You'll want to protect them The "Injury $100,000/$300,000" will provide a total of $300,000 to cover any and all injuries you cause to others, with a maximum of $100,000 available to any one person. My last ER bill, (for pneumonia) was $18k. I was not admitted but sent home with a prescription. Imagine what the bill would have been if I'd presented with serious and multiple physical injuries and had required a prolonged hospital stay. Now ad the cost of hiring someone to do home chores for the injured, or maybe home care needed to take care of the injured, or the cost of lifetime care of a permanent injury. On top of this ad "pain and suffering", and so on... That $100k will be gone in a heartbeat and then they'll come after you, if you have anything to get. You decide what is appropriate for you.

$50k is in no way enough for property damage, in my opinion. Even a pickup truck can hit $50k in price these days, not to mention something like a Cadillac - or how about another motorhome?

Only you can say what deductibles you're comfortable with, but a bigger deductible can make a big difference in the cost of collision and/or comprehensive coverage.

Underinsured/Uninsured are NOT just to pay the medical bills. They will also compensate you, or anyone else in your vehicle, for those extras I hinted to above. Lifetime care, mowing the lawn if you can't, or even pain and suffering. This in the case where the responsible party has no insurance or not enough to pay the full value of your claim. Your own medical coverage will pay the bills, period, and those will be subject to any deductibles or co-pays you have on your plan.

Bottom line, you have to access what you're needs are and what will allow you to sleep at night.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #13

I have Blue Sky and recently filed a claim for a $3,500 windshield. Claim was handled just fine. Very prompt. As far as liability limits, that's your choice. I have the required limits for my umbrella policy. I like the special RV full replacement coverages and diminishing deductible coverages. Roadside? I have Good Sam, but have yet to use their services and hope not to!
Old 05-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
As no value is shown for the motorhome, it would appear that your quote DOES NOT include a "full replacement" value should the MH be totaled. This means the insurance company gives you what THEY think it's worth after a total loss. You need an "agreed value" policy with a predetermined value.........
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, motorhome