Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2009, 12:44 AM   #1

Motorhome insurance with replacement cost

do any of you have motorhome insurance that will pay replacement cost of the rv in the event it is totaled in an accident??? if so with who and phone number would be appreciative. also if you have the replacement insurance, is it for rvs only for certain years old. we have purchased a 2004 class a. thanks for all the help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2009, 07:12 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We also have an '04 MH and "agreed value" (replacement) coverage. It is with Progressive and their contact information should be available in a local phone book.

H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Try GMAC at 800-325-1190 or, another good one I recently heard about is Farm & City Insurance. They're an agent out of Forest City, IA. Guess who they deal with? The number is 800-331-1520. Their rates are very good and they have replacement also.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
paz

Our Progressive Insurance will cover replacement cost for the first 5 years, after which it will pay the amount we originally paid for the motorhome. With the high cost of a motorhome, the length of time it is financed, and the rapid depreciation, you DO NOT want your motorhome insured for depreciated value the way most cars are insured.

We have our insurance through Miller Insurance. They are independent agents and represent a number of companies. Give them a call - they are easy to deal with. They will be able to give you competitive quotes and answer your questions.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Our Progressive Insurance will cover replacement cost for the first 5 years, after which it will pay the amount we originally paid for the motorhome. With the high cost of a motorhome, the length of time it is financed, and the rapid depreciation, you DO NOT want your motorhome insured for depreciated value the way most cars are insured.

We have our insurance through Miller Insurance. They are independent agents and represent a number of companies. Give them a call - they are easy to deal with. They will be able to give you competitive quotes and answer your questions.

how is it fulltiming??? do you ever get tired of not being able to go back to that one place that use to be home???i've been in rural georgia for all of my life and my family lives here also,,, i love to travel but after a week or so, i can't wait to get home//thanks for the insurance info, i'm going to call tomorrow.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We have "agreed value" coverage on our 2004 from National Interstate (explorerrv.com). The "agreed value" is the price we paid for it when we bought it used.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just bought a used MH and didn't know what company to use. USAA sent me to progressive. I sent them a copy of the Nada values that the dealer gave me. So I will be insured for 49500 although I think I could have got a little more if I pushed. Good for 5 years. Don't know if their good or bad so time will tell. There number is 800-876-5581
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Our Progressive Insurance will cover replacement cost for the first 5 years, after which it will pay the amount we originally paid for the motorhome.
I have the same coverage with National Interstate Insurance. If my 2005 Dutch Star is totaled I will get a new 2009 Dutch Star. After five years I will receive the price I paid for my motorhome plus all modifications I have made to it. I added a Whirlpool washer and dryer, solar panels, a Surge Guard and many other upgrades and I sent National Interstate copies of the bills. That added those amounts to my coverage.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #9
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
how is it fulltiming??? do you ever get tired of not being able to go back to that one place that use to be home???i've been in rural georgia for all of my life and my family lives here also,,, i love to travel but after a week or so, i can't wait to get home//thanks for the insurance info, i'm going to call tomorrow.
Faye, full-timing is great. Sometimes I miss my garden and workshop, and sometimes my wife misses getting together with her friends, but that usually passes with the excitement of seeing amazing things on our travels, and making new friends along the way.

Mostly, we miss family, but our daughter and her husband have room to park our motorhome beside their garage, so we usually get there with the motorhome once or twice a year. We also drive to their house in the car from where we winter in Florida for Christmas and stay in their guest room.

These days, with cell phones, email, Facebook, etc., it's easy to stay in touch.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #10

I have National Insurance also and have replacement value based on purchase price for 5 years. After my 5 years, plan on going with an agreed value price as most seem to do and not use the NADA used values.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:40 AM   #11

I have National Insurance and have the agreed value replacement. I have had claims with this company and was very pleased with the way they handled them.
I can get coverage a little cheaper with other companies but will stay with this one because of their track record with me and how they handled my claims.

and in spirit, chance.
jurzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Gilbert RV Insurance also offers it. They are based out of Orlando but write all over and for different company's.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #13

I have Insurance with Amica;
My motorhome is a 1999 coachman 33.5 ft. catilina class A, the insurance policy says I'm insured for $24000 (thats what I paid for it)
I had an accident (someone ran into me).
$15000 damage
The Insurance company wanted to total the motorhome, they said they would only give me cash value for the motorhome ($15000).
I'm paying for $24000 coverage but they said the motorhome was only worth $15000 cash value. I said if the motorhome was totaled, I wanted them to buy me one just like it. They said no. they would ony pay cash value.
Something just doesn't seem right here.
After much arguing they did agree to have the motorhome repaired; As soon as the motorhome is repared I think maybe I should be looking for another insurance company.
What do you think folks? any insurance companys you know that will insure a motorhome like mine for about $600 a year?
Old 08-13-2009, 04:29 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Faye, I could be wrong but I believe when you buy a used RV all insurance companies will cover you for what is called agreed value which is the purchase price. My last coach was bought new with replacement coverage the first five years then coverage went to purchase price. With my present coach, which was bought used, the coverage is for purchase price.Replacement was not an option with Progressive who I first insured it with and also Allied who I changed to after the first year because, like many others received quite an increase from Progressive. I have my insurance thru Farm and City and even though I have a Winnie I know several people who don't and insure through them.

I have been fulltiming for over 8 years now and hope I never have to give it up. I agree with paz in that I do miss family from time to time but it is so easy to keep in touch these days. It is also not for everyone. I have always had a roaming spirit and was gone almost every weekend when I had a stick house and a job. My husband and I traveled as much as possible and I continued that after his death. I remember passing RVs on my way to work at times and having my heart just ache to be out there on the road. I tell everyone who asks about going full time and are unsure to go for an extended trip before one even thinks about selling it all.

Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote