Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #1

Motorhome is leaning rear right side

Greetings all:
We are new owners and need your help, our monaco diplomat 04 started leaning, will not start, and drains out the battery with each try......
We were fine one day, the nex morning we were leaning, the low air was lid on the dash when we tried to start...

We are concerned that this can seriously damage the chassis, some one mentioned the "the air bags"?????

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

Ricardo cita

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Welcome to iRV2.com, Ricardo! It looks like you may be having multiple problems with your chassis, onr related to the air bags and the other relating to the engine starting problem. Intermittent problems are always the most difficult to troubleshoot.

It would help if we had some more info, like were you plugged in overnight, how long had you left the coach before you tried starting it (i.e. overnight stop or longer term), had you leveled or was the coach sitting on it's suspension overnight, etc.

Temperature can greatly affect battery performance, so if you were not plugged in and it was cold the batteries would be discharged much faster than on warmer nights.

Again, welcome and good luck!
Stewart

Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #3

Thank you stewart for your reply:
As new owner's i will try to be as clear and siple as posible..
Our mh is a 2004 and only has 6,000 miles, weve had it for 2 years one of whitch was parked in storage on its own suspension, until 3 week's ago, we had to jump the battery to get it started, we have been driving and living with no problems for the last couple of weeks until now..

We have been hooking up from the source of our friends home, the monitor display inside the mh reads 30 amp, and all lights and appliances are working fine.. As for temperature we are in los angeles at this moment, i have been reading the manual backward and foward but it is not helping much, on the contrary, we are way more confused...

Thank you for your welcome and kindness, we truly appreciate your help.

Ricardo and cita
Old 01-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #4

I could be all wet here-the leaning is simply the air leaking out of you air suspension [stuff happens when you leave 'em sit for months/yrs.] It may be low milage however the air bags were flat/folded for all the time in storage and they are rubber and as old -older than the MH.
The engine may not start because the batteries may be the same age and due to age,corrosion and lack of maint. they may not be able to crank the engine fast enough to start.
Any one else??
Old 01-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Ricardo: I agree with Bob. If I were you I'd concentrate on the battery issue first, which you should be able to fix by replacing the battery.

With the coach stored for 2 years the battery is most likely bad if they were not being charged while in storage. Even if the coach was plugged in the chassis batteries may not have been charged unless your coach has a BIRD or a trickle charger connected to the chassis battery.

Can you check the acid levels and specific gravity (with a hygrometer) of the battery cells? You could also get an auto store like Auto Zone or Advance Auto to check the battery, they will do a load test. They will most likely find it to be bad, so make sure you want to buy a battery from the store you go to.

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Welcome to the list!!

As others have said, the batteries are likely shot They need to be used and regularly charged to stay in shape, and even then will die from old age. My '03 has on '02 chassis. The chassis batteries wore out in 2005, and the house batteries in 2007. If your coach has the original batteries they are pretty much due, particularly since they haven't been cared for during part of their life.

As for the "leaning," airbags do leak a bit. Most rigs will sag on one or more air bags over a period of several days. That is pretty normal. I always store my MH with the leveling jacks down, partly to maintain level, and partly to take some of the load off the tires. I wouldn't worry about the air bags at this point, although it is possible they have some dry rot from not being used. Use them, and if they can't maintain air pressure while driving, that is the time to worry about them.