Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2013, 05:33 PM   #15

Minimal? Yep.
Nuff space to cook the finest gormet meals? Oh yeah!

It aint rocket science. Just cooking.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #16
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I don't think they are minimalist. You get what you pay for!

Longer coach means more counterspace and cabinetry. Separate ice maker means more freezer room.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2513878266.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	499.9 KB
ID:	52889

Name:	image-3005736050.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	502.9 KB
ID:	52890

Name:	image-4042596267.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	52891

Name:	image-962004691.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	360.5 KB
ID:	52892
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
We cook at home 8-9 months a year. When we travel, we are on vacation and enjoy sampling the local cuisine. We grill a lot and enjoy that more than heating up the MH. We just ordered a new 43 ft MH and the Kitchen amenities was the least concern.

We had an oven in our last MH and used it once in 10 years. Just the way we travel. We are out and about seeing the country and the last thing we want to do is come home and prepare a large meal. I think the MH manufactures are seeing more of this trend.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
We cook at home 8-9 months a year. When we travel, we are on vacation and enjoy sampling the local cuisine. We grill a lot and enjoy that more than heating up the MH. We just ordered a new 43 ft MH and the Kitchen amenities was the least concern.

We had an oven in our last MH and used it once in 10 years. Just the way we travel. We are out and about seeing the country and the last thing we want to do is come home and prepare a large meal. I think the MH manufactures are seeing more of this trend.
Agreed brobox!!

Spend a few minutes and figure out where the "locals" eat, good food, good prices, and a taste of the part of the country that we're in.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #19

Our MH has a nice size kitchen, about a 9ft counter plus a slide out counter which makes it L shaped and we both can be in the kitchen area at the sametime prepareing meals. No oven, but we have a good size toaster oven on side counter. From whar we have seen, ours is larger then most MHs. 2009 Berkshire 390QS floor plan.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #20

As a single roller, it's fine to have a small space to hone my compact skills. It also helps that I am not cooking for lots of folk. It also, encourages others with generous spaces, to invite me to their table.
UncleRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
I had little counter space and a big double sink, so I had a new counter top made and installed a bar size sink, plus had a flip up extension made over the stack of drawers. Has made a world of difference!! Also bought a large cutting board then used the band saw to cut it down to size to fit over the bar sink. My oven is hard to light, so I use it for storage. You learn to only carry items that are used. We have a 2003 Windsong made by Forest River.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	70.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	52902  
calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My kitchen is a small one, breakfast is done inside. Lunch and dinner on the grill. My oven is for baking biscuits mostly. Beats the kitchen I had in my tent back in the 80's.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. M View Post
The space and appliances in most motorhome kitchens seem pretty minimal, especially compared to some of the more homelike fifth wheels. Many have scarce or almost no counterspace (which isn't a sink or stove cover), only 2 or maybe 3 burners, and often not even an oven, just a convection microwave.

If you like to cook, do you find this adequate? Please include what your kitchen is like, and what RV it is in.

Thanks,
James
Will you be full timers or vacationers? We take several trips a year in our RV and don't live in it, so I find the minimal kitchen easy to manage. We do a lot of cooking outside, either grilling or using portable electric appliances plugged into exterior outlets. We also eat out a lot (I'm on vacation, too!! ) or make quick meals, crock pot dishes, and sandwiches.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
The only reason I have a kitchen is because it came with the coach. Same thing with the house back in Tucson. For display purposes only. I prefer eating out. I only have my bowl of grape nuts in the AM and that's it. THe cabinets make a great place for all the alcohol bottles and the sink is a great wet bar! Residential frige holds mixers, olives and marichino cherries.
Mario-John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:12 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Our kitchen is a decent size for an RV. We do not have an oven, only a microwave/convection oven and do everything in there that I would in an oven - bake, broil, roast etc. I can make a large meal or a small one. We only have 2 burners on the stove top but that's ok since we never really used more than that on the stove top that had 4 in the house.
We have gotten rid of some things since we just don't use them so why have them.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
This and living space are the main reasons we won't be buying anthing on the market now. Keep the old HR Nav. and live with it. Coach designers, and buyers, must spend all their time in the crapper or in the bedroom looking at how big it is. We go in the bedroom and sleep. Who cares how big it is? Same with the bathroom. We just go into perform bodily maintenance and then out to live.
LOL - So true, our thought's exactly.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #27

I love to cook so the MH kitchen was a large factor in our purchase decision when we went full-timing. The bottom line is if the kitchen is important to you than you will find a coach that has a nice kitchen – keep looking and good luck.

StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:12 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes it is small but you learn to adapt. The biggest shortage is that 4th burner, it's not going to be there. But when it comes to counter space.. A portable "Folding leg" table can add a lot of space that does not otherwise exist, may be at a different height but you can use it like your computers "Swap File" Recipie says: Mix this up and set aside.. Set it on the table, Now mix that up and set it aside (beside the THIS) now prepare the other thing and combine them (Back to the counter) and put in oven.

That is, in fact, how I do it.. And I get to do ALL the cooking here now.

Tags
motorhome