Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #29

The kitchen is a deal breaker for me. We were newbies two years ago and initially thought that I would do most of my preparation and cooking outside so the kitchen size and configuration was overlooked. As time progressed I found myself doing more and more preparation and cooking in the MH. We went from a 31' Class C to a 33" Class A gasser to our present 38' Class A FRED with what I consider a huge kitchen for a MH. I am now a "Happy Camper". 2008 Gulf Stream 8367 FRED.

Kim

Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #30

Official iRV2 Sponsor

There are two very different perspectives being expressed here. Fulltimers and vacationers look at MH kitchens very differently. When you fulltime you know there will be days when you can't or don't want to eat outside. Adequate kitchens do exist, but they're mostly found in larger and more expensive rigs. Here's ours:

docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:49 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
There are two very different perspectives being expressed here. Fulltimers and vacationers look at MH kitchens very differently. When you fulltime you know there will be days when you can't or don't want to eat outside. Adequate kitchens do exist, but they're mostly found in larger and more expensive rigs. Here's ours:
This might be true in allot of the cases however we are not full timers! As vacationers... we put over 11,000 miles on our MH last year thus I prepared quite a few meals on our travels. I would venture to say that most "cooks" would opt for a larger work area if given the choice. The unfortunate part is the larger the kitchen the larger the unit and in most cases the larger the cost.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #32

Adapt and adjust one way or the other. See Simple Recipes . We're limited only by what will fit in the oven or cooker.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
That was the deal breaker for DW...a lot of counter space for prep.....We finally found a cougar 327RES 5er which has hands down the most counter space once the slide is open.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #34

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Remember that you can also design your own kitchen and have an aftermarket company put it in. Clearly not something I would want to pay to have done on a new coach, but it the "bones" of the coach it what you want, modifications can be made.

Heck, it will take a lot of living in it before you FINALLY decide what you want.
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Have been looking at newer M/Hs.
I want more counter space, at least three burners,
and would like an oven.
The train of thought seems to be:
Huge fridge with no place to cook what you have in it.

Wake up designers. Larger kitchens, and less bathrooms.
Why do we need Bath and a half??????
Old 12-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #36

National RV Owners Club
When we plan on making a trip that will take a few day to get to where we want to be.
The wife will prefix some meals and put them in the fridge that way she will not have to do a lot of cooking.
When it convenient we will go out to a restraint.
Beside that I am lucky to have a wife who loves to cook she has been doing it for the last 61 years.
This is from a very happy camper.
Just a thought.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #37

Our coach has a 10' long counter and cooking is not an issue. However I have noticed a distinct correlation that shows the bigger and fancier the motorhome the less cooking is done and the more eating out at restaurants there is. A friend of mine with a 45' American Coach only has a pack of beer in his 20 cu. ft. refrigerator!
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:17 PM   #38

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
Have been looking at newer M/Hs.
I want more counter space, at least three burners,
and would like an oven.
The train of thought seems to be:
Huge fridge with no place to cook what you have in it.

Wake up designers. Larger kitchens, and less bathrooms.
Why do we need Bath and a half??????

Not being difficult, BUT I think JUST the opposite. Why would only two of us want all that kitchen space? I sorta agree with you about the 1/2 bath, but different strokes for different folks, eh?
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #39

My DH and I have been fulltiming for 15 years. We started in a converted bus and one of my happiest parts of the conversion was when we finally got my 3-burner stove w/oven. We have upgraded 3 times since and I have made sure we got a 3-burner stove w/0ven in every rv. I have cooked HUGE meals using it. Oh I forgot to mention when we started out we still had 4 children at home and 2 grand children who spent many weeks with us. We have had as many as 6 grandchildren and 2 children and their spouses stay with us at a time. And I have used my rv kitchen with no problem! I use my oven ALL of the time (and yes even on frozen pizza!) and never had a problem with it. So it takes an extra minute to light? We just make adjustments to enjoy our home.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was dismayed to find most new coaches now have two burner ranges and no oven, until I realized that we never used more than 2 burners at a time anyway and discovered that we really love our microwave/convection oven; does everything (and better) than the conventional gas oven. Our Aspect has a three burner range top, but have never used more than two at a time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #41

We have a 1997 37 ft. HR Endeavor. It's a single slide ... residential 10cf reefer, 3 burner cooktop plus standalone induction burner, microwave (not convection) ... no oven. A cutting board covers the cooktop when not in use. Frankly, it's all satisfactory for the 2 of us ... we cook to eat (the actual process has never been exciting to us) ... if we entertain its outside or at a restaurant.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:57 AM   #42

National RV Owners Club
Been said several ways but will repeat it. The kitchen in some ways will dictate what you can prepare. If you are only going out in the summer and have a BBQ and so on, then a more minimalist kitchen will likely do you. I have the basic 3 burner, convection MW arrangement and my DW and I have found it quite usable for many palatable meals. I wouldn't expect Cordon Bleu quality even though for some it may be possible. We also make sure that we have our blend tek with us. Between the soups and sauces and blendings for shakes, it can really free up other parts of your kitchen and make meals easier to prepare. So even though RV kitchens may be minimalist in some instances, that doesn't automatically mean restrictive if you plan well.

Tags
motorhome