Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
Member
 
Wingrydr57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 57
Motorhome "live in " garage

Hello everyone! Right now we are in the search mode for a class a motorhome. My thought is to buy a few acres of land in the Wisconsin north woods and build some kind of carport for the mh. Something we could put out the slides and still be able to look outside from the motorhome. Would also have sewer hookup, water and 50 amp service . Also have a small room for laundry and lawn mower etc. just looking for ideas. We would be living in the mh so building a house with a big garage would not be an option
Has anyone done this and has pics would love to see them. In the winter months we plan to snowbird to Florida in an rv park.

Clear skies, Steve
__________________

__________________
Wingrydr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,333
Car port or an enclosed RV metal or wood, secure building? No home nearby?
__________________

__________________
2003 Dolphin LX 6355 w/ W22 chassis; 8.1L gasser & Allison 1000
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
Member
 
Wingrydr57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
Car port or an enclosed RV metal or wood, secure building? No home nearby?
We have home in wisc. So just a car port would be a good choice , dosent matter wood or metal. Our daughter will take care of our house while we live in our rv .
__________________
Wingrydr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingrydr57 View Post
Hello everyone! Right now we are in the search mode for a class a motorhome. My thought is to buy a few acres of land in the Wisconsin north woods and build some kind of carport for the mh. Something we could put out the slides and still be able to look outside from the motorhome. Would also have sewer hookup, water and 50 amp service . Also have a small room for laundry and lawn mower etc. just looking for ideas. We would be living in the mh so building a house with a big garage would not be an option
Has anyone done this and has pics would love to see them. In the winter months we plan to snowbird to Florida in an rv park.

Clear skies, Steve
We looked into buying some land in the north woods of Wisconsin, grading a drive, pouring a slab, and parking our motorhome on it for summer vacations. It quickly turned into an expensive proposition.

Pouring the slab and building the overhead shelter were the least expensive parts of the puzzle. If there isn't electric power nearby you'll have to pay to have it run from the nearest transformer. In our case that would have been 1/2 a mile and it got expensive very quickly.

The next and even more complicated expense was the installation of a sewer system. The septic system is sized by the square footage of the residence it serves. It doesn't matter whether it's a full time dwelling or occupied 1 weekend per year. The soil has to be large enough to accommodate the proper size septic system and drain field. It has to be a certain distance from the residence and any nearby body of water. It has to be high enough to drain properly and be perk tested to be sure it can handle the maximum flow the system is rated for.

The final piece of the puzzle was drilling a well. The property had the be large enough to handle both the septic system and a well. The well had to be upstream a minimum distance from the septic system and drain field. Both the septic system and the well had to meet several additional criteria imposed by the Wisconsin DNR.

What appeared to be a minimal $50,000.00 investment in a piece of vacation property quickly ballooned into a $150,000.00+ expense. It sounded like a good idea at the time, but the overall costs of construction and maintenance didn't warrant the investment. Then there's always the never ending annual property taxes.

For the few times we would have used the property we decided it would be more cost effective and less work to just rent a campsite at one of the nearby TV parks.
__________________
Hikerdogs
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
Member
 
Wingrydr57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
We looked into buying some land in the north woods of Wisconsin, grading a drive, pouring a slab, and parking our motorhome on it for summer vacations. It quickly turned into an expensive proposition.

Pouring the slab and building the overhead shelter were the least expensive parts of the puzzle. If there isn't electric power nearby you'll have to pay to have it run from the nearest transformer. In our case that would have been 1/2 a mile and it got expensive very quickly.

The next and even more complicated expense was the installation of a sewer system. The septic system is sized by the square footage of the residence it serves. It doesn't matter whether it's a full time dwelling or occupied 1 weekend per year. The soil has to be large enough to accommodate the proper size septic system and drain field. It has to be a certain distance from the residence and any nearby body of water. It has to be high enough to drain properly and be perk tested to be sure it can handle the maximum flow the system is rated for.

The final piece of the puzzle was drilling a well. The property had the be large enough to handle both the septic system and a well. The well had to be upstream a minimum distance from the septic system and drain field. Both the septic system and the well had to meet several additional criteria imposed by the Wisconsin DNR.

What appeared to be a minimal $50,000.00 investment in a piece of vacation property quickly ballooned into a $150,000.00+ expense. It sounded like a good idea at the time, but the overall costs of construction and maintenance didn't warrant the investment. Then there's always the never ending annual property taxes.

For the few times we would have used the property we decided it would be more cost effective and less work to just rent a campsite at one of the nearby TV parks.
WOW! I didn't realize all of that! Hmmmm maybe I will re think this! Thanks.
__________________
Wingrydr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
motorhome



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NC Motorhome Property Taxes Maggie8 Class A Motorhome Discussions 30 12-16-2014 11:51 PM
Cool Diesel Toy Hauler RVs with Large Garage PioanoMan Class C Motorhome Discussions 4 10-10-2014 08:35 PM
Thor Motor Coach Ranks #1 Motorhome Brand US & North America DriVer RV Industry Press 9 06-12-2014 12:26 AM
Motorhome Garage - Concrete thickness Gary.Jones iRV2.com General Discussion 13 05-26-2014 07:23 PM
Winnebago Motorhomes Receive MotorHome Magazine Readers' Choice Awards DriVer RV Industry Press 1 12-02-2013 03:00 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.