Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Motorhome rattles

To start with, we bought our first motorhome 2 years ago...a 2005 Intruder.
We had a pull trailer when our kids were small but been looking at motorhomes for years.
I started chasing creaks and rattles right from the beginning. The dash is where I get most of the noise. Going over bridges where the road ends and the overpass begins is like hitting a big hole. Now after having the MH for two years, I started wondering if all MH homes make all this crazy noise. Is this something you have to live with or can I eventually fix most of them.
I know it's a big box going down the road. Are DP quieter than Gas MH?
I have been told by 5th wheels owners that this is why they do not own a MH.
I can live with it if everyone has the same problems with rattles.
Please made me feel better or made me continue to keep fixing.

Thanks
Mark

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We have never owned a gas motor home. But this may make you feel better. We had a 2002 Winnebago Journey that made a racket going over bumps. Our current motor home a 2006 Monaco Dynasty is very quiet compared to the Winnie. But it still makes some noise. I think they all so it, some worse than others.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #3

I have been in and American Heritage Eagle and heard rattles. They dog me too. Dashboard creaks often come from loose screws causing plastic to rub against plastic. Other that hand tightening every screw you can find there is little you can do. It is often hard to locate the rattles because the sound bounces around before it gets to your ear. The most common rattle comes from the door with the screen. You can isolate the metal to metal squeeks by putting felt furniture pads in between the door and the screen door. You can also wrap the door post with electrical tape. The only hope that I can offer you is that as you get older, your hearing will start to go and you will hear less. Not very hopeful is it. If someone has a good cure for that Awning strap that flaps against the side of the MH as you drive down the road, I''d like to hear it.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #4

Mine is the same. I just turn the radio up. I think as said a lot of plastic and flexing going on. I do try to track the bad ones down. Jim
Old 06-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by D in Davie View Post
If someone has a good cure for that Awning strap that flaps against the side of the MH as you drive down the road, I''d like to hear it.
As I let the awning roll back. I pull the strap to the back of the RV causing the strap to spiral around the awning, rolling up more of the strap into the awning. It took me a couple of tries to get the right amount rolled in, but now I can roll the awning only leaving about an inch of strap sticking out to get the awning rod to hook on. I wish I could say I thought of it but I saw it on some little video on you tube. I looked for it today but could not find it.

I have just about quieted all the rattles in my Pace at this point. Well until my last trip and I think it is the Satellite dish rattling against the roof, now that is driving me nuts till I get it silenced.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:51 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1505 View Post
To start with, we bought our first motorhome 2 years ago...a 2005 Intruder.
We had a pull trailer when our kids were small but been looking at motorhomes for years.
I started chasing creaks and rattles right from the beginning. The dash is where I get most of the noise. Going over bridges where the road ends and the overpass begins is like hitting a big hole. Now after having the MH for two years, I started wondering if all MH homes make all this crazy noise. Is this something you have to live with or can I eventually fix most of them.
I know it's a big box going down the road. Are DP quieter than Gas MH?
I have been told by 5th wheels owners that this is why they do not own a MH.
I can live with it if everyone has the same problems with rattles.
Please made me feel better or made me continue to keep fixing.

Thanks
Mark
it will help if you add more info about your coach in the signature section of your profile.
i installed koni fsd shocks on my moho when it had about 8k miles on it. i got mine from shox.com, good price and great service.
before the koni's, the ride was so rough and the overhead tv shook and rattled so much that i thought that the tv was going to come loose and fall down.
the koni's made a huge difference.

Koni-RV

Bilstein Shocks | Bilstein PSS10 | Bilstein PSS9 | Eibach Springs | Koni Shocks | Tokico Shocks
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Truth is, we all have some rattles. Doesn't keep many of us from continually chasing them, but a 100% rattle free ride is about as elusive as a unicorn.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #8

Wally World CRC Heavy Duty Silicone Spray works wonders. My wife drives, I spray every nook and cranny where I find a rattle.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have loud squeaks, coming from under my dash, in and around the steering wheel. They about drove me crazy, when I first bought the MH. I sprayed everywhere I could think of, under the dash. However, the noise comes only when we are driving down a bumpy/wavy road. The only sure way of finding it, is to let someone lay down on the floor, under the dash and between my legs, as I drive down the road. It would have to be a child or some man very small and that's not going to happen. So I've had to live with it. I "Tune it out".
Old 06-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Truth is, we all have some rattles. Doesn't keep many of us from continually chasing them, but a 100% rattle free ride is about as elusive as a unicorn.
^^ This. You can try to minimize rattles by packing dishes, pots, and other "rattley" items with packing materials to help keep them quiet. It's the loud CRASHES that you have to be concerned about. My sister's coffeemaker managed to "walk" off the countertop in their moho as they were cruising along. They almost had dual heart attacks.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Consider you are in a house that is also in a continuous earthquake when you are moving.

Yep, I have rattles, and I tune them out. I'm good at that. Started learning that right at the beginning of marriage. Now I am told I have "selective hearing." It's real nice to have hearing aids that have a remote control hanging around my neck, inside my shirt, so no one can see what I'm actually doing when I push a finger on my chest. Hee hee!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #12

The source of a rattle or squeak may not actually be where you think you are hearing it. I had a squeak that sounded like it was under dashboard just below the steering wheel. It was actually coming from the hinges on the door on the opposite site.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
The source of a rattle or squeak may not actually be where you think you are hearing it. I had a squeak that sounded like it was under dashboard just below the steering wheel. It was actually coming from the hinges on the door on the opposite site.
Don, maybe your ears are wired wrong!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #14

I to have squeaks and rattles sound from around the dash area of my gasser, and I'm sure there's more squeaks throughout the motor home, but I just hear the ones near the dash since I'm driving. Once I park, I forget all about them.

Tags
motorhome