Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2019, 08:39 PM   #15

Samsons here
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2019, 10:42 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check loves truck stops, they beat my price on toyo's from fmca
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:15 AM   #17

I agree, check around for the best price once you settle on which brand you want. I went with Sailun truck tires. ALL tires sold in the U.S.A. must meet the same USDOT standards regardless of where they are made.
I had Goodyear G670's on our MH; when they aged-out I bought 6 Sailun S637 275/70R22.5 load range H tires, final bill was $1,280 for them( price a bit raised since then). Sailun used to make them in China, but moved their truck tire division to Vietnam in 2015. That was a tough pill to swallow for me, but I suppose no different than rebuilding Japan after WWII. Buying something expensive that must be thrown-away within 10 years made me focus on price.
FWIW, Sailun has(best I can identify) the same tire construction as Michelin.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:20 AM   #18

Put the best tires you can on the steering axle
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLove View Post
I have Ironman tires. I only have about 500 Miles on them so not a full report but so far so good. They have 500# of extra load bearing weight on them as well. Some people hate them some love them. Personally, I can't complain, the price was right and the 500 miles I have out on them has been good.
Our motorhome came with new Ironman tires on it. I bought another one from Simple Tire to carry as an unmounted spare. When it was delivered, the Fedex driver mentioned that they use Ironman on all of their trucks. We now have 4000 miles on them and I have no complaints about how they handle or are wearing so far. We had Michelin's on our previous Itasca for 8000 miles and do not think they were any better or any worse.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Put the best tires you can on the steering axle
That's one reason I bought Sailun truck tires, I had walked around many truck stops observing the brand of tires on steer axles. Sailun was one of the top 3.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer;4800

I personally don't care if the tire [U
factory[/U] is in China as long as it is made to the standards of a major tire brand. If Michelin is operating a factory in China, you can bet they are making sure it's good enough to carry their name and can stand behind it.
Exactly. I've used Chinese tires on everything from a Mustang Cobra to boat trailers, to RV's and my personal vehicles for 15+ years. Literally hundreds of thousands of km's. Never had an issue. The only ONE issue I had with a tire, was a Firestone. Made in the USA.

Attitudes about Chinese just isn't warranted like it used to be. Yes there are still inferior products being made there, but I have to say, some domestic products are no better.

I remember when the joke was that stuff made in Japan was garbage ("Jap Crap")/ Who's laughing now? Korea? Yep, they're like the new Japan.

Until the US (and here in Canada), gets on board,and starts to pull up their socks, we'll be conquered by commerce. No need to invade. My dollar goes to the products that are justified by their price. I don;t mind spending a bit more on a domestic product IF it has the quality to justify the price difference., That seldom happens anymore.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:33 AM   #22

Is there anything wrong with the tires you have on now other than the 7 year itch to replace good rubber? I don’t know about Continental but GY and Michelin say you can go to 10 years if they are in good shape and you have them inspected on an annual basis.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Is there anything wrong with the tires you have on now other than the 7 year itch to replace good rubber? I don’t know about Continental but GY and Michelin say you can go to 10 years if they are in good shape and you have them inspected on an annual basis.

The tires are in great shape, we were just reaching our for advice. The motorhome has approximately 23,000 miles and runs and rides very nicely. We did have the tires inspected.

We purchased a tire and wheel warranty with our ExtraRide Extended Warranty that will cover expense of road damage but we realize that we will have to pay for new tires with normal wear.

Joining IRV was a great move because of all the amazing folks who give caring attention to information requests. Thank you and all the other kind members who contributed to this thread.
yaakbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Way to many people have the 7 year itch on tire replacement. Even read it on this forum as low as 4 years. Actual tire condition being totally irrelevant.
I say let em spend their money. After all, you can't take it with you. Good for the economy, tax revenue and truckers who pick up very good used tires.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #25

Until you have an old tire blow out.
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmweb View Post
Until you have an old tire blow out.
I guess after 50 years of driving, it is just dumb luck having no blow outs. Right?
Plenty of ways to spend your money. Go for it. You can't take it with you.
50+ years of just dumb luck. Wow.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:15 AM   #27

AMEN! Fight the good fight for frugality and old tires! Tires only connect your vehicle to the road. For goodness sakes, wise up and spend your money on something important! Lets see another post telling people how stupid and frivolous they are for acting out of an abundance of caution. These folks must be saved from themselves.

This spring I watched the dealer take my 6yr old steer tires off and mount them on an dump truck that was already in the next bay waiting for them! I couldn't care less. Hope he gets 10 more years out of them. He is transporting gravel. I'm transporting my loved ones.

I might go 7-10 yrs on drive axle tires, if they look perfect, but fresh steer tires (Michelins for me btw) are cheap peace of mind.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
AMEN! Fight the good fight for frugality and old tires! Tires only connect your vehicle to the road. For goodness sakes, wise up and spend your money on something important! Lets see another post telling people how stupid and frivolous they are for acting out of an abundance of caution. These folks must be saved from themselves.

This spring I watched the dealer take my 6yr old steer tires off and mount them on an dump truck that was already in the next bay waiting for them! I couldn't care less. Hope he gets 10 more years out of them. He is transporting gravel. I'm transporting my loved ones.

I might go 7-10 yrs on drive axle tires, if they look perfect, but fresh steer tires (Michelins for me btw) are cheap peace of mind.
Using your "acting out of caution" rationale, you should probably stay off the roads altogether. Probably 80% of vehicles on the road drive on tires older than the ones you discarded as unsafe. And many tires out there on vehicles are old enough to qualify for a driver's license.
Driving on chronically under inflated tires is what causes almost all tire failures of tires that otherwise appear outwardly as being sound. My money is on a tpms that functions properly.
But hey, if you feel better with those new tires, that's all that matters. Have a good day.

Tags
motorhome, tires