Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-18-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
Motorhome water heater

The threads on the hot water heater plug are bad, plug leaks and pops out under pressure. Any of you pros know of any inexpensive repair for this problem? thanks for your input

spectrum581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Are you saying your water heater's drain hole is stripped out and the plug/anode rod (depending on make) won't stay in?

2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #3
water heater

I just purchased this motor home last august, the water heater just has a drain plug in it
Old 05-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
Get a new drain plug
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
water heater

I replaced the drain plug, put teflon tape on the threads and still have the same problem.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:01 PM   #6
Most Atwood water heaters have a nylon drain plug and do not recommend using Teflon tape. If a metal plug was used it might have buggered up the threads.
Terry & Alice
2006 Bounder 38L DP
2012 GMC Terrain
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
It sounds like the former owner had a problem and stripped the hole. I would look for an expandable rubber plug that fit... Google is your friend. Measure the old plug to get a size. Consider using one that has a hex bolt or where any cam lever can be replaced with a hex bolt if there is a clearance issue.

I also use teflon tape as the supplied plugs often do not seal after a few years. Not enough taper molded in.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #8

If the tank is damaged beyond repair you can purchase a replacement tank and put all the original parts on it. I was looking for a mixing valve last week and noticed the tank for sale on Amazon.

Good luck.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Good things come to those that wait.
jtermini30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:45 PM   #9
Someone may have previously used a Hott Rod and buggered up the internal threads.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #10
If the threads are messed up as it sounds they are, then the cheap solution is an expanding rubber plug as suggested by nothermark.
2005 Kenworth Showhauler truck conversion.
. 44 ft, Cummins ISX15 450 hp, 10 speed, twin screw
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #11
Mid Atlantic Campers
You could go to your local hardware, or even big box store and pick up a pipe tap to clean up the threads. Most I have seen are 1/8" or 1/4" NPT. Cost should be around $10 U.S.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
You could go to your local hardware, or even big box store and pick up a pipe tap to clean up the threads. Most I have seen are 1/8" or 1/4" NPT. Cost should be around $10 U.S.
The plastic drain plug is roughly an inch in diameter thus probably 3/4 IPT. Given that one can find a tap cheap there is still the problem that the nylon plugs still often bottom without sealing so opening the hole a bit more still leaves one with a leak. That assumes the hole is not already oversized. If it is one can also go to something like a heli-coil thread repair but the end result will always be a lot of time and a lot of money compared to an expandable rubber plug made for hot water use. Even if you toss a plug a year break even will take a while.

The one other thing I might try is to check the size and buy a metal plug that size and see what happens with some teflon tape. Less than $10 for a reasonable last ditch try. The reason I think that might work is the stronger threads on the metal plug compared to the plastic.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:51 AM   #13
How does an expandable rubber plug seal against threads?

I would think a brass plug and some potable water safe thread sealing compound would be your best shot.
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:06 AM   #14
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The plastic plug is 1/2 inch IPT.. IF you have not tried a new plug, it is most likely it is the plug that is stripped, not the hole, unless the prior owner put in a metal plug

If the plug is stripped, Get a plastic 1/2 inch to barbed (hose) adapter and put a hose on it, clamp the hose on well (It has to take 50 or more PSI after all) on the other end of the short (like 1 foot or a bit less) hose put a 2nd connector of the same type,, On to that screw a quarter turn valve, and screw the metal or plastic plug into that when using water heater

To drain heater

Remove plug, hold hose OUTSIDE the compartment, I like to add a length of half inch pipe (optional) Point valve away from you (to side for example) and open. Then open TPR valve to let air in.

This needs to be done from time to time.

IF it is the hole that is stripped, it can be re threaded to a slightly larger size.. I would suggest having this done as the tools needed cost more than the labor to do it.

This will require a slightly larger barbed hose adapter (Once you have good threads again, Go with the extended valve plug)

This all assumes it is an Atwood heater as well

If it is a Surburan heater with an anode rod.. I can not assist you, but a professinal may be able to go next size up and thread in a reducer (metal) to accept the standard anode rod.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote

heater, motorhome, water, water heater