Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2010, 12:37 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mounting a flat screen TV ??

We want to mount a 26" flat screen TV in our 01 Tradewinds in a different place. Currently we have a conventional TV in the cabinet above the driver. In our model coach we have a "hutch" in back of the dining area that consists of an upper cabinet and a base cabinet that is wide enough and has enough space from the counter top to the bottom of the upper cabinet to place a flat screen. The countertop is corian. I want to mount the TV with it's base on top of this corian countertop. How would one go about securing the TV to the countertop? Any suggestions or has anyone done this before? I do not want to use a wall bracket as the wall behind is not substantial enough to support the weight while traveling down our sometimes bumpy roads.

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Without seeing what you have there exactly it's going to be difficult to make a recommendation. LCDs no matter how they are mounted in the RV are going to get bounced around. I was just looking at my LCD TV stand off off my Sony and it's all plastic. Anchoring the TV to Corian may involve drilling a couple of holes perhaps since you can't mount it on the wall. I wish I were there or short of that a picture of the space where you want to setup the TV would be helpful.

You can get specialty fasteners at Lowes or Home Depot that will help you match the finish of the stand. You may have to mount the stand 1st and then if you leave yourself enough room and use a stubby Philip's driver you can drop the TV on the stand and then reach behind and mount the screws that'll hold the TV to the stand.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #3

The one I'm putting in the bedroom will be mounted to a board which will be attached to the wall giving extra strength and spreading the load on the wall. The board will be stained to match the cabenitry in that area. What is the weight is your TV? I doubt it would be much mor than my 22 inch wihich is only 9-10 pounds. It seems like mounting to the back of the TV would be more substantial than depending on a plastic foot that actually has very little contact area with the body of the set to make it a rigid installation.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired and Happy View Post
The one I'm putting in the bedroom will be mounted to a board which will be attached to the wall giving extra strength and spreading the load on the wall..
Retired and Happy, That's exactly what I would have considered if I had to engineer this thing. Using a number of smaller fasteners quite possibly large aluminum rivets into the luan paneling distributed evenly and frequently would no doubt meet a 10 to 14 pound load.

The OP has ruled out wall mounting so however when Vegasdan sets up his set it'll be interesting to see.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:19 AM   #5
paz

Vegasdan, another option is to transport the TV flat on the bed and just set it onto the countertop and hook it up when you get to your destination. I think the bases that came with our new LCD TVs had holes in them, but I wouldn't trust screws holding on the Corian. Corian is somewhat brittle.

Other than that, I recommend mounting the TV from the back. The only problem is most interior RV walls are thin luan and are hollow. You would need to mount the TV to a more substantial piece of wood, then mount that wood to the wall using multiple fastening points or to the thicker wood of the cabinet itself.

FYI the 26" LCD TV I just installed in our bedroom weighs 22.5 lbs without the stand. If you're going to all the trouble of mounting the TV to the wall, you might want to consider a 32" if you have the room. The 32" TV I mounted in front weighs only 29.5 lbs and only cost about $80 more than the 26" I put in the bedroom.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:31 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I relocated and replaced the CRT television that came in our motorhome with a 27 inch LCD model, very much like the way you are planning on doing. I used a standard wall mount for the back of the TV, the weight of the television is carried by the cabinet top that it is sitting on, and the rear mount only serves to keep the set from moving side to side or fore and aft. I did not want to drill into the cabinet top, and used a couple of pieces of Velcro self adhesive tape between the bottom of the TV and the cabinet. This takes care of any tendecy for creep, and eleminates any scratching of the cabinet top surface. This has worked well for me for going on two years.

Dieselclacker
Old 02-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #7

TV Mods

Here is what I did in our motorhome. I replaced the front TV with an LCD and removed the one in the bedroom.

Not exactly what you might be looking for, but other ideas always help.

Good luck with the mods.

Picasa Web Albums - Yves et Murielle - tv_mods_07_al...#
Old 02-06-2010, 07:40 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I should have mentioned the other reason for not wanting to wall mount. The wall is also covered with mirrors. A 32" would be great, unfortunately there isn't enough room between the countertop and the upper wall cabinet. The one response about taking it off the counter when we are traveling and put it on the bed is the most logical so far. I agree the plastic bases I've seen look fairly fragile especially considering the weight of the TV will act as a lever. I have seen under cabinet mounts but they are for TVs up to 17".
Old 02-07-2010, 06:18 AM   #9
paz

dieselclacker had a good idea when he suggested resting the weight on the countertop and just using the rear mount to steady the TV. You can't do that since you have a mirror behind, but would it be possible to do something similar by using the under cabinet mount to steady the TV? The under cabinet mount is only made for a 17" TV, but the weight would be carried by the countertop, not the mount.

Yet another option would be to remove the mirror. I'm not sure you want to see the back of the TV in the mirror with all the wires anyway.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
CD

Vegasdan
My thought is to use some " nonskid material" under the base and mount some thing to the under side of the upper cabinet with a channel that will hold the TV top. A bungee cord around it will steady it during travel.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Vegasdan,

It sounds like your configuration is something similar to the 32" LCD in my 08 Allegro Bay as installed by Tiffin. The TV is a Panasonic "Viera" model. I've attached photos of the bare mount and with the TV in position. The vertical wall the mount is attached to is 3/4" plywood.

Just thought this might help you with alternatives.

Wayne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New_TV_Mount.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	2729   Click image for larger version

Name:	New_TV.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	2730  

Wayneey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Velcro tape should do it on the base and then some on the back against the flimsy wall- just to add some rigidity to the Whole setup. Just tilt it forward to release it-- if need be.

I've used 3m two sided tape to hold down lamps in two rigs now-- no problems.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mounting a TV

Hi Vegasdan:
I used some "thumb lock fasteners" TV grips to mount a TV. You will find them in the West Marine Catalog. I don't know if Vegas has a West Marine store. There is one in Henderson (702) 567-1166. The catalog has lots of goodies that will work in a MH.
Some time ago you were seeking advice on what to carry on a trip to Florida to buy a MH. What happened? What did you carry?
Is the Tradewinds the one that you wanted in Florida.
Thanks
Milt--Kettle Falls, Wa
Old 02-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by popsuscdds View Post
Hi Vegasdan:
I used some "thumb lock fasteners" TV grips to mount a TV. You will find them in the West Marine Catalog. I don't know if Vegas has a West Marine store. There is one in Henderson (702) 567-1166. The catalog has lots of goodies that will work in a MH.
Some time ago you were seeking advice on what to carry on a trip to Florida to buy a MH. What happened? What did you carry?
Is the Tradewinds the one that you wanted in Florida.
Thanks
Milt--Kettle Falls, Wa
Yes the Tradewinds was the one. We took some linens, a couple towels, basic tools, a Garmin, a laptop, our clothes etc. Had a great trip back. You can view what we are doing to the Tradewinds on the National forum here. The title of the thread is Renovating a Tradewinds.