Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2015, 10:53 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mounting a ScanGauge

I installed a ScanGauge D in my motorhome. While I love it’s function, there are two things that make it frustrating to use.

I currently have the unit velcroed to the bottom of my dash. This makes it difficult to view while driving. If the manufacturer made some sort of mounting bracket, I could most likely find a better and more permanent spot to mount it.

Secondly, my ScanGauge will not power down completely after the engine is turned off. I must unplug the data cable which again is a lousy design. There should be a power button IMO.

Anyone have a fix for these issues?

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Seems like you could buy a cheap suction cup mount to velcro it to....

Here's a not so cheap one

I'm getting ready to do the same thing with one of the two scanguages II's
I acquired over the years... anyone want one ?

Old 06-12-2015, 11:13 AM   #3

I used two command strips, the velcro was to loose holding. Installed mine towards the top of my dash for safe viewing and ease of selection.
Go into the menu and set the on and off commands. This will solve the "off" problem.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:59 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
My scan Guage stays on for about 20 seconds after the key is removed then powers down. I also bought the mount from the company and it works great if you want to get one from there.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
I installed a ScanGauge D in my motorhome. While I love itís function, there are two things that make it frustrating to use.

I currently have the unit velcroed to the bottom of my dash. This makes it difficult to view while driving. If the manufacturer made some sort of mounting bracket, I could most likely find a better and more permanent spot to mount it.

Secondly, my ScanGauge will not power down completely after the engine is turned off. I must unplug the data cable which again is a lousy design. There should be a power button IMO.

Craig
Check out my post #42

ScanGuage D?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
I installed a ScanGauge D in my motorhome. While I love itís function, there are two things that make it frustrating to use.

Craig
Gadget Man
!.) Velcroing my ScanGuuge D display module near the top of my dash solved that problem.

2.) I rewired the 12V positive (+) power wire to the J1939 connector under my dash through my ignition switch to fix that.
(Now it shuts down 15-20 seconds or so after the key is turned OFF).

I hope that helps.
Mel
'96 Safari, 3126 Cat
Old 06-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will try the power settings first. If that doesnít work Iíll consider Melís suggestion.

I donít like the windshield mount as my windshield is too far away. Itís a shame ScanGauge doesnít offer some type of permanent mounting bracket. Iíll probably resort to Joeís mounting method.

Thanks again guys!

Craig

Old 06-12-2015, 07:24 PM   #8

Scangauge does make a windshield/dash mount. https://www.scangauge.com/store/deluxe-window-mount/ I agree the windshield is too far away, but may be able to mount on your side window like I do my Garmin GPS and turn it enough to face back towards the driver. I mount my GPS near the front of the side window so it doesn't get in the way of opening the slider -- I think I'll get one of these mounts and do the same thing with my scanguage as mine is hard to see near the bottom of my dash.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's a picture of the mount I bought with the Ultra Scan Guage. It is adhesive backed and just mounts to my 2000 Winnebago Adventurer dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1434219348488.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	97158   Click image for larger version

Name:	1434219363948.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	97159  

Old 06-13-2015, 03:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcgin View Post
Here's a picture of the mount I bought with the Ultra Scan Guage. It is adhesive backed and just mounts to my 2000 Winnebago Adventurer dash.
joemcgin
I can find information about the "Ultraguage" and the "Scangauge II" for vehicles with gasoline engines...and the "Scangauge D" for diesel powered vehicles, (which is the subject of this thread).
BUT I can find nothing anything about a product/gauge named/called
"Ultra Scan Guage".

What is the make/brand/name of the gauge in your posted photos?
Where did you get it, (and the mount)?
Thanks
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-13-2015, 04:02 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Project Complete!

I was able to find the setting to put my ScanGauge to sleep when it see’s 0 RPM. Thanks for the heads up.

I decided to follow MSHappyCampers lead and installed my ScanGauge on my instrument cluster panel. Unfortunately I didn’t have the room he did, so it made the job a little tougher than just drilling a hole. Using my Dremel’s cutting bit, I notched out part of the cluster panel, but this didn’t give me enough room for the massive plug on the back of the ScanGauge. I had to also notch out part of the dash, just above the instrument cluster. The problem is, this area had a metal backplate that the cutting bit couldn’t penetrate. I switched the Dremel head to a cutting disk and blazed through the metal. I then attached the ScanGauge with velcro.

You’re probably wondering about the velcro on the curvature of my dash at the top of the photos. It’s used to secure my dash cover. I removed the dash cover during the installation for fear that sparks from the cutting disk would fly up and damage the cover. Needless to say, there was a nice mess to clean up afterwards, but I’m happy with the ScanGauge’s new home.

The ScanGauge blocked the lower half of the “Fleetwood” symbol etched on the dash, which made it look funky. I covered the symbol with black tape, hoping it now looks less funky.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Craig

Old 06-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
joemcgin
I can find information about the "Ultraguage" and the "Scangauge II" for vehicles with gasoline engines...and the "Scangauge D" for diesel powered vehicles, (which is the subject of this thread).
BUT I can find nothing anything about a product/gauge named/called
"Ultra Scan Guage".

What is the make/brand/name of the gauge in your posted photos?
Where did you get it, (and the mount)?
Thanks
Mel
'96 Safari

I think what he's got is the Ultraguage.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:32 AM   #13

Didn't realize there was an ultragauge. Appears bigger and looking at the website it has most or all of the same functions (but not the x-gauge). Since bigger, it might be easier to see than the scangauge and is about 1/2 the price. I might consider getting one of those since I have 2 scangauges that I transfer between 4 vehicles. Don't see an advantage the scangauge has over the ultragauge.