Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #57
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dometic fridge bites the yellow dust

Not the Norcold but a recall completed Dometic that fast action was required.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #58

Alpine Owners Club
Is there a consensus on the ideal spot to mount the SS-30?

I realize that some may be restricted due to physical constraints, but all things being equal and/or accessible, where should the discharge be located for best protection?

It looks like the remote mount configuration would provide the greatest flexibility.

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 12-22-2010, 09:33 AM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think we should all band together, FMCA,Good Sam, Escapee's, and all other clubs, etc. and send a message to Norcold, that we will never buy another motorhome that has a Norcold refrigerator in it, or any other RV untill they do what is right with us. I would think that eventually we could cause them to shut down their production on refrigerators, etc. Or perhaps we could all send a complaint to the Federal Trades Commission. How many RV's and lives will be lost before this happens.
As you can tell I'm mad, damn mad.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:25 PM   #60

The gov is already aware of the problem and have been provided paperwork from Norcold, and it is available to read on one of the many threads concerning this.

Your proposed action against Norcold will just cause them to close their doors. Then where are we?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:01 PM   #61
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
The gov is already aware of the problem and have been provided paperwork from Norcold, and it is available to read on one of the many threads concerning this.

Your proposed action against Norcold will just cause them to close their doors. Then where are we?
Its a wonder Jeff either company is still in business since I have had RV's they both have had recalls of some sort.
I'd say its in our hands as to what to do, Dale was in luck he was able to stop a bigger problem from developing.
People not on this forum or others, that have tried to alert the public, may suffer big time.
Its always our decision to decide get a new cooling unit or change out fridge to residential or take a chance with a fire extinguisher and their recall.
To keep our rig safe and family also it always seems that way and I do not see it changing any time soon.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #62
Commercial Member

Macthefireguy here, I have been reading all the posts and questions. I did a web search for the real cause of the fires and I found a really good article. 99.9% of the fires start at the base of the burner. I know of one that started in the flue pipe and vented gas at the top, so the fire was high. I have heard of a second, but no information. There are plenty of investigations and pictures of a lower fire. So I have installed my unit at the base and that's where I suggest installs.

Based on the information from my contacts, the worse place to install a gas/elec fridge is in the slide. Where is the industry installing them, in a slide. The reason given is "lack of draw" The industry does not finish the wall vent, remember it's not Macthefireguy saying this, it's the professionals who repair, investigate and install these things. Don't shot the messenger. These are the same people that tell me until the manufacture completly re-design these fridges, the fires will only get worse.
Mac
Old 12-24-2010, 08:15 AM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfiresafety View Post

Mac-TheFireGuy here, I have been reading all the posts and questions.

These are the same people that tell me until the manufacture completely re-design these fridges, the fires will only get worse.

Mac
Mac,

I have been saying the same for quite sometime now. Both the design and manufacturing of the RV cooling units have deteriorated over the years, and both Norcold & Dometic do not want to invest in replacing ALL of the ones that have been built with such poor quality and design.

All they have done is to design band-aids attempting to baffle people into thinking that their cooling unit is safer.

I have personally purchased my RV fire suppression system from you for the Norcold cavity, my engine compartment, and a bunch of portable units for inside the coach and car. I feel safer but not 100% totally confident that a fire in either of these locations won't still total my home/coach.

Case in point, the rare refer fires that have started high in the cavity and the hydraulic oil leaks, etc. that have caused engine fires on the road-side of the engine completely opposite of where the 286F nozzle is located. This installation requirement is due to the extremely high temps that occur on the turbo & exhaust side of the engine where the 286F nozzle would cause a false discharge of the AFFF. I would certainly feel more protected if there were some way to have a properly rated nozzle hooked up to the AFFF tank on that side of the engine also.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfiresafety View Post

Based on the information from my contacts, the worse place to install a gas/elec fridge is in the slide. Where is the industry installing them, in a slide. The reason given is "lack of draw" The industry does not finish the wall vent, remember it's not Macthefireguy saying this, it's the professionals who repair, investigate and install these things. Don't shot the messenger. These are the same people that tell me until the manufacture completly re-design these fridges, the fires will only get worse.
Mac
Mac
First of all thanks for all the info you have provided.
Secondly what is meant by "lack of draw" and "they do not finish the wall vent"
Old 01-03-2011, 10:50 AM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstonebay View Post
Secondly what is meant by "lack of draw" and "they do not finish the wall vent"
I've done a little bit of research into this to help my own ventilation issues for my slide mounted fridge. I found this interesting little summary of venting issues: Gas/Electric Fridge Venting

It explains what I think Mac means by lack of draw and unfinished vent spaces (dead air space.)
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
I've done a little bit of research into this to help my own ventilation issues for my slide mounted fridge. I found this interesting little summary of venting issues: Gas/Electric Fridge Venting

It explains what I think Mac means by lack of draw and unfinished vent spaces (dead air space.)
Great explanation of the proper venting and heat dissipation needed to allow for proper cooling of the freezer and frig inside compartments.

Thanks for the link.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:04 AM   #67
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just an update on 2nd recall

Its been said will the fire win out or will Norcolds 2nd recall make us all safe without worry.
This POST maybe the start of the answer we have not wanted to hear.
I guess we will be looking for a third recall coming up or maybe they will say it was a faulty install of their 2nd recall.
This POST will give you two alternatives to consider.

Install of Amish cooling unit in 1200 fridge.