Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #1

Mouse Troubles

(HELP!!!!!) I can't keep mice out of my motorhome while its being stored for the winter.
Commissioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #2

Spray undercarriage with mouse free
ej1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:30 AM   #3

In your own building and on your own property, employ a mouser (cat). Let's hope in your case, that's possible. Unit stored outside, at a storage place, I'm sorry, I don't have that answer.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ours is stored in a farm building open on 1 side with a clean raked sand floor next to a corn field. So far this has worked for us:

1) Fresh Cab inside placed in 4-5 spots around the floor, I just leave them in place year-round & remove when depleated. Also picked up some mint smelling rodent repelent pouches from Menards.

2) Bounce dryer sheets and bars of Irish Spring cut in half in all storage compartments inside and out.

3)Also under the tires to keep from sinking into the sand, we use plywood and place a 3' x 3' piece of 1/4" galvanized mesh screen and park on that. Read somewhere ( probably on here ) they don't like to walk across the mesh.

Don't know if any one of these things are doing the job but, this is out third year of storing there and so far so good - KNOCK ON WOOD!

Good luck to you
Dan
Dan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #5

We had a mouse issue in our second TT at the storage lot. Our spot was backed up to a chain link fence that bordered a forest. I'd stuff every hole I could find, set traps and while I whittled the population some, they were better at breeding than I was at catching. Finally I moved the trailer to a space in the middle of the lot away from the fence and forest. Voila, no more mouse problems. The lot was asphalt. My theory was that the mice didn't like the exposure to cross the 30' of asphalt and had plenty of nice accommodations right next to the forest. There are lots of hawks, owls and other birds of prey around which I think helped the odds to go in my favor. If you are parking on grass or under cover then it is hard to eradicate enough of the little buggars to keep them out of your RV.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I can't add to what others have suggested but noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iRV2. Get yourself a comfy seat, a snack, and start reading... https://www.google.com/search?q=%22m...earch=irv2.com
Old 11-12-2018, 03:35 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It used to be Cab Fresh, then it became Fresh Cab, and now I find it at Ace Hdw under another name.

Whatever they choose to call it I put several inside the coach and then throw several under the coach. Been mouse free now for several years.

Stuff is so strong smelling it even gives me a headache.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:52 PM   #9

I spray the undercarriage withe an oily substance similar to mouse guard . I also set a dozen or so of snap traps in all the storage bins and along the walls inside the motorhome to catch the ones brave enough to get past the mouse guard. Living in a forested area , it's impossible to get away from the little critters. I stopped using bounce after finding they used the sheets for a nest.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:16 PM   #10
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
Other than plugging holes in the bottom. Find where pipes and electrical stuff run under things in the house and great stuff those holes inside of the rig.

That compartmentalizes where critters can get to.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #11

For the record, I’ve got mouse troubles also.

Inside the rig, I’m using bounce sheets, Irish Spring soap throughout, bags of cloves inside cupboards, and peanut butter baited traps. Still catching a mouse every day or so, in the traps on the floor....not inside cupboards.

Outside, we’re in the country surrounded by farming fields, however I’m parked on 3” gravel pad for good drainage. All the outside compartments are also equipped with bags of cloves.

Add to this.....
This will soon be snow country covering everything, so we’re dealing with snow, ice and constant cold.

Assuming the mice are climbing up the tires to gain entry through WHATEVER hole I can’t locate, is there anything to place around the tires or on the ground of the tires to stop their interest?
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In my storage barn I use mouse poison, two favors Tom Cat and Just One Bite. Works great and keeps the barn mouse free. I really do not care about the PETA types and their opinions. This works for me; blocks around every tire.

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:44 PM   #13

Up the tires to frame and its game over
elbeau54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:37 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Everyone has their own special way of battling the little critters. We use Fresh Cab, dryer sheets plus our secret weapon is baking soda. You can get a large bag of it at Costco for next to nothing. We spread it inside and even outside. Supposedly they don't like powder on their feet. All of our efforts so far have given us success. I also read somewhere that cat urine will fend them off. We have a cat and clumping litter so we may possibly spread some of that outside also. We do have a couple traps inside but haven't caught anything yet. We also have a shed about 20 yards from the bus. We'll get a ha;f a dozen in there but I'm guessing it's much easier access to the shed.

Another method I've never tried is putting anti freeze in a bucket and you then apply P-butter to a plastic soda bottle that has a rod going thru it. Set that on to the top of the bucket with a board leading to the top. The mice crawl up the board, walk out onto the bottle with P-butter on it and then it spins and tosses them into the liquid where they eventually pass away. Many call it cruel but my bus is worth more to me than a field mouse.

https://www.ebay.com/i/132498202609?chn=ps

You can make this thing yourself instead of spending any money.

A little painful to watch but the idea is there.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote