Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2016, 06:21 PM   #1

Mouse Urine- How to get rid of the smell?

Well, the mice really did a number on me. Kind of surprising with poison under camper, peppermint oil throughout and mouse traps all over the interior. First thing I discovered was that they chewed through several heat ducts to build nests and used the furnace for peeing. Replaced the duct work and pulled the heater, disassembled and thoroughly scrubbed. All good there.
Real problem was nest and pee spot behind closet access panel for shower controls. Pee soaked the fabric shelf cover and plywood. Have tried vinegar and baking soda and ZEP pet odor eliminator. All helped but still some of the awful smell. Any other suggestions before I rip the wood out and install new material. My wife says fix it or we don't hit the road. Thanks for any help
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2016, 06:26 PM   #2

This doesn't help your current situation, but in the future....simple mousetraps with peanut butter in them. Rats and mice can't walk away from peanut butter! We got 37 rats last year with PB. This year only a couple. I think we're making a dent, or the word got out! Stay away from Dubya's house!
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:37 PM   #3

Rexhall Owners Group
3 Natural Homemade Cleaners to Remove Pet Stains & Odors | Everyday Roots

Have used most of this to kill the pet smell. Works very well.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
This doesn't help your current situation, but in the future....simple mousetraps with peanut butter in them. Rats and mice can't walk away from peanut butter! We got 37 rats last year with PB. This year only a couple. I think we're making a dent, or the word got out! Stay away from Dubya's house!
37 rats???? I hope you don't mean just in your camper! What is around you that would draw so many varmints to your location?
Old 05-17-2016, 06:58 PM   #5

If it's in a area that's not visible you could cover it with several coats of oil based primer like bulls eye or shellac. I have used this under carpeting in rentals to block pet odors and it works well.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:03 PM   #6

We live in the country where folks have feed for horses, goats, sheep, etc. Plus, several folks around here use that English Ivy for ground cover, and the rats love that stuff. Last year my truck had $4700 dollars in damage because of the rats. After that we got real serious about the problem. Right now we probably have 12-15 traps in different locations. One rat had moved into our linen drawer in the MH, and just peed to it's little hearts desire. Fortunately none of the wood was soaked, so we didn't have the OP's issue with the smell. Most people would be surprised how many rats and mice are around their vehicles. I trapped one and put 4 pellets in him B$ he went to the big cheese wheel in the sky. Named him Sampson! I tell everyone, go to Amazon, buy a box of traps, and set them with peanut butter. At best you can maintain the status quo. They'll never disappear.
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:15 PM   #7

that's a tough one....I know that nesting smell is really tough to get rid of. I just replaced a vent this winter that they had built a nest in. I first just fixed the vent...found out pretty quickly that removing the nest did absolutely nothing to appease the smell. Since it sounds like it's behind a panel I would probably try to cover it with a shellac and see if that helps. Has to be easier than cutting the wood out which would be worse case scenario.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:35 PM   #8

Do have enough room to spray or paint Kilz on it? Helped me with the same problem
wildirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:25 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Oil based kill in the red can will definitely seal the odor ..you can buy it in a spray can also if brush access is a problem
Old 05-18-2016, 01:26 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I meant kilz
Old 05-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #11

I first read the title as MOOSE urine and couldn't wait to find out how you developed a problem with it. Unfortunately I can offer no help with the mouse urine - I could not have with the moose urine either. :-)
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:04 PM   #12

If you can get to it then you can spray fabreze or other materials maybe.

Cheapo cat liter (not the clumping kind) can suck the oil out of concrete so soaking the area with clean water via spray bottle then packing the litter in and allow it to absorb.

Also place charcoal in there, either bust open an old water filter of get aquarium media at walmart.

Vacuum all out and see if improved.

If so repeat or paint seal.

Charcoal can be left to absorb some.

Also check with auto detailer as they often deal with cars that had wet floors and mold in ac systems to deodorize

Last resort is paint seal but you need to be sure all is removed.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:55 AM   #13

I would try the following: Vinegar (soak/ let dry naturally/ repeat 2x), Nature's Miracle (in petstores use same instructions as vinegar), and lastly " ODban" - I find at Home Depot, rarely at Lowes (same instructions).

I think you may find the vinegar may work. Thinking that your in a salad bowl will disappear. Just keep the windows open to keep air circulating.
AngusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:00 AM   #14

well never had a mouse smell, but had a chicken left in the freezer for a few months and we used coffee and vanilla mixed in and left it in the freezer for awhile and the chicken smell was gone, it is worth a try, hope you can get rid of it
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell