Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2015, 09:11 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Exclamation Moving Satellite Dish...Fixing/Filling Holes

OK...it isn't really an emergency but I'm working in stages around heat.

Question #1, Is stuffing the old holes with Dicor sufficient to to properly fill in screw holes in a fiberglass roof or do you replace screws in unused holes before Dicor?

A little background.

Due to the removal of a previous sat dome and now having to move my current sat dish to accommodate a hardware upgrade I have a combination of new holes and some old holes that have screws in the and then covered with Dicor.

Some of the old dome holes and some of the new holes will be under the base plates of the new location so I will need to remove the screws and seal. Since they will be covered with the sat dish's feet they should be well protected.

I'm just wondering if I should replace the screws in the new holes and then Use Dicor over them or if that is overkill.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2015, 09:19 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I did the same job about 4 years ago and cleaned around the screw holes and filled (overfilled) the holes. I was on the roof last week and they all look like the day I filled them. Obviously I have no leak issues.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:19 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just used Dicor to fill holes when replacing a satellite dish with a Winegard Trav'ler. Works fine, no leaks.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:01 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
DICOR...a wonderful product. But...I failed finger painting in the 8th grade so it is a small challenge. LOL

Earlier this morning I removed the old RFM dish base and feet. I also needed to remove the dish and LNB arm since those will be transferred to the new base. See This for Why I'm doing This.

OK...I've been back up on the roof and I used denatured alcohol to clean up around all the new holes and on some spots I will touch up on. I also have my target location marked off but my new base is in the car and Sandee is at a medical appointment. When she gets back I'm ready to figure out how in the heck I'm going to get that up on the roof. LOL Actually, the park as a front loader they said they would bring over that should get me and the new base up high enough to place it on the roof. I'm just planning to toss the old one off because it makes me feel good.

While cleaning up I experimented with the 4 screw holes of the old touch down plate. I filled all 4, used screws with Dicor and then on 2 of them I replaced the screws. After that I over coated all 4 to see how they looked later this afternoon. I also noticed that the plate wasn't sealed all the way around and when I pried it up there was a lot of water under the plate. I will seal up the edges on the new touch down plate.

BTW...I was fixin' to complain about the sun and heat but it sure has made cleaning up the old Dicor MUCH easier. How is THAT for a silver lining!?

I also think the good news about moving the dish is that it will be nearly the same location as the original dome. From my understanding that area should be a tad more re-enforced than the current location was. I have a shallow depression in the roof where one of the pads was located.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:30 AM   #5

Fiberglass is resin and fiber so fix is epoxy.

Get the 5 minute stuff and mix a small amount and with holes vertical it wants to drip through so wait until it starts to harden just a bit and stuff in with a tooth pick and work it into the treads left from old screws.

Let harden then mix another batch and with putty knife apply and smooth out surface.

Touch up paint optional.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:38 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Question #1, Is stuffing the old holes with Dicor sufficient to to properly fill in screw holes in a fiberglass roof or do you replace screws in unused holes before Dicor?
d
Answer #1: Different removal but that is exactly how I did it.

Optional would be a square of Eternabond but Dicor did the job for me and has not caused any problems.

Tags
dish, satellite