Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
Senior Member
wa8yxm's Avatar
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 23,841
There are a couple of things you need to ask: How long each year will you be spending in the Condo, and do you plan on obtaining employment in Maine?

Many states have a six month rule.. If you are going to spend more than six months (Even just one day more) outside the state you need not establish citizenship in that state, You can keep your SD address, Plates and DRIVER's LICENSE and only be a 'Visitor" in the other state. Some states the requirement is much, much ... Shorter (SD for example).

Just remember, your registration, driver's license and voter's registration card should all be for the same address.

Some states if you get a job, and do not go home (to another state) at night (After work) they ding you.

Rules vary from state to state, Specific information on Maine, I do not have.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #16
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 496
I will not be working in Maine. I am retiree and receive pensions and SS. I have been a resident in SD for about 5 years. My tax returns, drivers license and registration are all in SD.

I might be in Maine 6 months or so per year. Would be out of the state during the winter. Either Texas or Florida. I assume I would still have to pay some for of income tax in Maine. My big issue is the property tax on my motorhome. Something like 2 grand per year.

I would like to keep my SD residence, drivers license and registration. I will even store the motorhome in NH. I have no issue with Maine taxes for he house.


bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #17
Senior Member
BFlinn181's Avatar

Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 17,821
For the potential taxes, penalty, and hassle I think I'd run it by a knowledgable lawyer to be sure you aren't going to be liable somewhere to someone. I don't like to recommend a lawyer, but in your situation it might be the safest course of action. You could just rely on all the free advice on the forum, but remember, you get what you paid for that advice, including mine!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #18
RV Mutant #14
Wayne M's Avatar

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,689
You really need a tax lawyer.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2015 Winnebago Tour 42QD
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #19
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 496
I think you are all right. I will check with one. I am flying from Flroida to Maine next week to see how our new condo is coming. Will see what I can discover then.

Thanks to all of you for your replies.

bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #20
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 496
I am writing an update to this blog.

I spoke to the tax assessors office in Wells, Maine the other day. I asked pretty straight up specific questions concerning taxing and residence. Here is what I learned.

Many people have residences in Maine and classify them as second residences. He person I spoke to thought I could use this and still keep my South Dakota residence, even tough it is a mail box with a specific address. South Dakota considers me a resident!

THe tax assessor told me that their agents go into rv parks and storage lots during April to look for vehicles to tax. If it is there in April they assume it there all year and will tax it. Suggested I keep it out of state during that time. She mentioned that if it is in an rv park then they obtain the specifics about he owner from the rv park or storage facility.

So it seems that I may be able to continue using my South Dakota address and keep my sd residence. I identify my maine residence as not my primary address. I then store my motorhome in New Hampshire.

I have my tax guy, who was an IRS agent, checking out my stratify.

bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:21 AM   #21
Senior Member
Foretravel Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 511
We have gotten in the MT LLC setup, however Have not registered the RV there, but the toad,(Ford F150) and the ATV are and insured. Now later I find the insurance is nearly 3 X the scale of Virginia, so it became a stuipd matter to keep the pickup in MT, do keep the ATV, this give me the tags and ability to ride in many states on highways, not interstate. All states are different on this matter, but the western states are more pleasent to deal with. Looked at as a quadracycle, not the hated ATV.
As long as I keep the business going, keeping the RV in Va is a nonbrainer tax wise, yes Va has personal property tax, so the Foretravel costs over $6k a year just tax
Oh Joy
Dave WG4T
Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #22
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 496

You should consider registering your vehicles in South Dakota. I have a 2008 Monaco and the tags are costing around $300 per year. Sd has not state income tax too. I use a mail service in Sioux Falls.


bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.