Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #1

Moving to Maine can I store my mh in NH and keep my SD plates?

We have been on the road for close to 7 years. Have had a SD license and registration for 5 years.

We are buying a condo in Maine and want to keep the motorhome to use in the winter in Florida or Texas. Can I keep my SD license? If I store the motorhome in NH will this be an issue? Will MiNe I have the motorhome there?

I checked what property tax on the my would be and it is nearly $3000. This is outrageous! This is terrible. Steve

Anyone
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
My advice is to check the laws in New Hampshire. Many States are cracking down on out-of-state registrations, and South Dakota (or Montana) plates are sure to get attention if yours is one of them.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Store the MH in Florida. With SD plates
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #4

Triker56.

Why do you say store it in Florida?

Thanks.

Steve
Old 10-20-2012, 04:42 PM   #5

You need to check with your insurance company. Many want to know where you will "garage" the rig most of the year. Failure to properly do this gives them an excuse to deny a claim - and boy do they love to deny claims. BTW, Florida has no personal property tax, and the registration fees are cheap. My rig (see sig line) is under $300 per year.

If SD has only one license plate (Tag) for the rear, consider parking with the rear away from the street. No point of waving a red flag at the local LEOs.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #6

Bluegill,

Do you live in Florida too?

Steve
Old 10-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
This is a can of worms. What triker says sounds good. However, most States will not allow you to have a vehicle registered in a different State than your drivers licence. You also have a domencile issue. If you establish a domencile in NH (with a permament residence) you can't have a second domencile in NH eyes.

*If* SD allows you to keep your SD licence, then you can keep the SD plates, if they will still do this with a NH domencile. This still does not preclude NH calling this null and void. Most States require you to forfit any other States drivers licence when applying. Basically I think you are screwed unless you do a lot of homework.

The only other thing I can think of is put the NH residence in a childs name and keep your SD domencile. This would be legit in the eyes of the law, afaik.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdomino View Post
Bluegill,

Do you live in Florida too?

Steve
We have two homes - One in NY and one in FL. I have a NY driver's license, 2 autos and 2 motorcycles registered there because they are garaged in NY. Because the MH is garaged in FL, we have it registered there. My insurance company knows this.

The issue of Domicile vs. where the rig is garaged is fuzzy, but I would rather hash out any issue with one of the states than have a claim denied by the insurance company.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:21 AM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to Tired-old
Be careful. Many states, especially those that collect excise tax, require registration in the state of residence. IE, where you work, vote, send kids to school, etc. The enforcement is usually lax but in our state, the state police go after them especially in counties on state borders.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:05 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I think I might rethink the Maine condo. Of course if its a matter of wanting to be close to family that already lives there I can understand, or some business/job affiliation, but absent that there are a lot of beautiful places where you could buy a condo that would be a lot more tax friendly.

In these times of budget shortfalls it is true that some states are getting very aggressive at pursuing those they label as tax evaders.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #11

We are from PA. $81 for the mo-ho. We get there for about 3 months over summer.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #12

If you are not going to WORK in the new state, but it is used like a part time back woods get away, and you keep SD as your home, everything should be fine.

If however, you earn a wage in other than you home state, then things become more difficult.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Because the MH is garaged in FL, we have it registered there. My insurance company knows this.

The issue of Domicile vs. where the rig is garaged is fuzzy, but I would rather hash out any issue with one of the states than have a claim denied by the insurance company.
Have you ever been stopped driving the MH with FL plates and NY driver's Lic.? You also said, "My insurance company knows this." How do they know it? Have they sent an acknowledgment in writing that they know and you're covered?

Most states are cracking down on these cross-state parking/registration enigmas as a revenue enhancement for their state coffers.

Curious minds would like to know.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
If you are not going to WORK in the new state, but it is used like a part time back woods get away, and you keep SD as your home, everything should be fine.

If however, you earn a wage in other than you home state, then things become more difficult.

Ed
Do you know if this applies to only "wages" or is retirement income considered to be earned in that state as well?

I know Arizona is pretty generous when considering who is "domiciled" here... so they can attract snowbirds. However, I believe their laws say that one can own property here and still not be considered a resident so long as they don't spend more than nine months per year here... IF and only if they also own property in another location which is considered their home domicile. Having said that, I haven't heard of Arizona being one of the states going after folks registered in other states.... yet.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote