Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2015, 01:28 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Moving up

It is about time to think about moving up from our 20 ft TT to a MH. I am retired and she has five years yet. We do not intend to live in it for more then a month at a time. I am looking at a used 25 foot 91 Fleetwood Flair with 51K miles and everything works. inside could use some updating. I have restored cars and trucks for 40 years so working on them is not an issue.

Thinking that the 25 footer is a happy medium as I do not intend to pull a toad but can get into and out of most situations without difficulty. If we need a car for long stays we will rent one for that purpose. It will only be used for the summer months for travel (She is a school teacher).

Decided on a used until she retires then up grade if we like it.

I can find little information on the 91 Fleetwood Flair or how they are constructed. Does anyone have any information on this MH?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2015, 04:57 AM   #2
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Since you have owned and know the ins/outs of the TT, the systems on a used MH won't be new to you.

I don't think low mileage is a real big plus on a 20 year old vehicle. Look for the usual stuff, water damage, major appliances working, propane, electrical and water systems work.

Truck chassis maintenance brought up to date

Tires - These will be a major hit if they need replacement.

Sounds like your good with a tool box and you know the systems.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:09 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might also consider a Safari Trek... I had one for several years and loved it. High quality build. Went to a 35ft Dolphin because we are now full timing and needed something bigger.
caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:17 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
One of the reasons I was looking at the ford chassis is I live 12 miles from a great ford dealership that will work on the motor home chassis. I have taken in consideration the tire issue and have the funds in reserve to handle any maintenance issues as needed. I rather put some money into it then loose money by driving a new one off the lot, then finding out that we don't like it.

Safari Trek looks like a great RV and similar to the Fleetwood flair in shape. Quality is upgraded over the Flair. When driving this cube how do they handle in a breeze?

I have read much on A vs C vs the TT and 5ver. I find that their is no one good solution each has its advantages and disadvantages. One of the reasons we(she) decided on the A is; She is a quilter and would like to take one of her 14 sewing machines with us. I will most likely be adjusting the inside to handle one or two of the machines (1). I told her we can even install the long arm in a trailer if she likes. OK ,she gave me a pass on that idea
Old 04-25-2015, 01:47 AM   #5

Flairs are a very well built unit, the newer you get of course the nicer they are. Our first was a 90, then a 99, we now have a 03. Very smart choice for a 1st rig to get your feet wet and see if you like a MH over a TT.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Couple comments, size, you are most likely used to a bigger space with your TT. You are also used to a towed even though you are towing with it and a third you must break camp to do anything.

LEN
Old 04-26-2015, 07:02 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Couple comments, size, you are most likely used to a bigger space with your TT. You are also used to a towed even though you are towing with it and a third you must break camp to do anything.

LEN
The TT is not that big inside, I have taken into consideration of pulling camp and have looked into renting a car. also ways to put small motorcycle on rear of MH for local trips.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #8
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Life member

I'm a DIYer.

I am very happy with the F53 chassis and V10 engine. Early V10 had a very, very rare issues of spitting spark plug, but this can be mitigated by installing the correct plug to the correct torque.

Maintenae on the F53 is easy, New brake pads every 60-70k miles, flush the trans fluid at the same time, and normal oil/filter changes.

There is a good group of people on the Ford forum here that are very knowledgeable and helpful if you decide to go that route.

We chose a 30 ft class "A" because its a little bigger and the space is better utilized. We upgraded from a class C micro mini Toyota.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:11 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Life member

I'm a DIYer.

I am very happy with the F53 chassis and V10 engine. Early V10 had a very, very rare issues of spitting spark plug, but this can be mitigated by installing the correct plug to the correct torque.

Maintenae on the F53 is easy, New brake pads every 60-70k miles, flush the trans fluid at the same time, and normal oil/filter changes.

There is a good group of people on the Ford forum here that are very knowledgeable and helpful if you decide to go that route.

We chose a 30 ft class "A" because its a little bigger and the space is better utilized. We upgraded from a class C micro mini Toyota.

As of today I have not heard back from the Fleetwood person. I keep getting closer to the 30 foot from original idea of a 25 to 27 footer. I have bounced back and forth between the C and A the difference is sitting next to the motor or on top. The height is two inches smaller on the C. In any case I will keep on looking until one bites me just right. I do like the ford stuff.