Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know that the FRED's claim to get anywhere from 9 to 12 mpg. I have installed the Brazel's system on my rig but continue to get 6 to 6.5 mpg. If I stepped up to a diesel in the 30 to 34 foot range what kind of mileage could I expect. I am thinking of a 300-330 HP motor. Thanks.

Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know that the FRED's claim to get anywhere from 9 to 12 mpg. I have installed the Brazel's system on my rig but continue to get 6 to 6.5 mpg. If I stepped up to a diesel in the 30 to 34 foot range what kind of mileage could I expect. I am thinking of a 300-330 HP motor. Thanks.

Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:24 AM   #3

Hi Craig,

The new ULSD fuel has hurt the diesel mileage a little, but my pusher with the Cummins ISB is getting 9 to 10 MPG while towing my Jeep toad. A lot is determined on how fast you like to drive. I usually run 60 to 63 MPH on the open road, and like to set the cruise control. The FRED is the same ISB, just front mounted. They have boosted the HP and Torque slightly to compensate for the power loss with the new fuel.

Good luck with your decision.

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #4

My brother in law has a 2003 Winnebago Journey with a 300 hp Cummins ISB engine. In 30,000 miles he has averaged 9.5 mpg. He is basically a slow driver.

My 2000 Dutch Star with a 300 hp Cummins ISC averaged 8.3 mpg over 66,000 miles and since my 2005 Cummins ISL has broken in I'm getting 8.4 mpg. I'm very happy with that.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Craig,
My signature coach has 330HP Cummins ISC. The average MPG is 7.4, when towing. This is hauling around a total (coach & toad) of 34K lbs. The few times, a year, I do not tow, the coach gets atound 8.3 MPG. This is for 29K lbs.
Interstate highway travel is at 60-62 MPH. Secondary road travel is at the speed limit up to 60 MPH.

All other things being equal, it's weight, terrain, wind and speed that determine MPG. Consider if you like the coach you have (floor plan) changing to another coach for better fuel economy may be a difficult choice.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Currently averaging 10.1 MPG since it rolled off the factory floor in Sept. 34Ft Newmar Ventana with the new 350HP Cummins ISBXT, 750Ftlbs of torque. Drive between 60 & 65 MPH with cruise on transmission in the economy mode.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:47 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig H:
I know that the FRED's claim to get anywhere from 9 to 12 mpg. I have installed the Brazel's system on my rig but continue to get 6 to 6.5 mpg. If I stepped up to a diesel in the 30 to 34 foot range what kind of mileage could I expect. I am thinking of a 300-330 HP motor. Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Craig,

How fast or where do you drive that you get that poor fuel economy on a 33V? Do you do mostly mountain driving? When I had a 33 foot gas coach it was 10 to 12 mpg now that I have a 35 foot gas coach it is 8 to 10 mpg. Neither had any modifications.

Keep in mind that more than a light tap on the gas pedal can drop your fuel economy to below 1 mpg. If you are a nervous driver or your cruise control is constantly playing the throttle fuel economy will suffer gas or diesel.

You may or may not see that great an improvement going to a diesel if it is where you drive however driving habits can make a very big difference gas or diesel.

On your gas coach try:

Backing off the speed to below 63 mph when on the highway

Don't accelerate up hills only maintain speed and don't exceed 3000 rpm.

Gradually accelerate from stop lights.

Consider getting a ScanGuage so you can see and regulate the results of changing of throttle position. This was a real eye opener for me and lead to big improvements in fuel economy.

Not trying to be insulting just trying to help. It would be a shame to spend mega bucks chasing better fuel economy when it seems the biggest bang most times comes from better use of the right foot.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:36 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Gary, how much air pressure do you have in your tires. Air pressure makes a big difference in fuel milage. Higher pressure better MPG.
At spartan last year they set up air pressure on MH for weigth and they lowered Air pressure, front 95psi, rear 85psi, from what Newmar had it set at,120psi in all tires. I went from 7.4 to 6.8 mpg. Did not change driving habits. Felt like tires were sticking to the pavement.
I have added air to all tires now at 100psi all around. Will be leaving Tampa area for Texas on Feb 5th will check ride and mpg for improvement. I will adjust air pressure as needed.
Another good way to improve MPG is to drive like you have no brakes. You loose a lot on milage starting and stopping so keep as much distance as you can between vehicles.
Look ahead, if you have to stop, try to slow down but still keep moving, it takes more fuel to go from stopped than from 5-10 mph

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:49 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks to all for your replies. Now all I have to do is convincethe wife that it is time to trade up. wish me luck.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:20 AM   #10

Craig,

To give you a little bit of an apples to apples comparison, I had a 2002 35 foot 2 slide Allegro on a W20 chassis with no engine modifications and put 58,000 miles on it and averaged 6.74 mpg during that time. I now have a 2007 37 foot 4 slide Allegro Bay on a FRED (Cummins 300) chassis and after 8,000 miles I have averaged 8.23 mpg. I have towed the same vehicle with both over the same terrain with the same bad driving habits. The only difference has been that I would only set the cruise control at 65 mph on the W20 and with the FRED I set the cruise at 70 mph. For me I have realized over a 22% gain in mileage with the new coach and as the diesel breaks in I hope it will only get better. Good luck and I hope this helps with your decision.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #11

I have a '98 Dutch Star DP 38' long. I tow a Saturn Vue. Since August of '03 My fuel mileage has averaged 9.17 mpg. At individual fill-ups my software has shown as high as 14 mpg and as low as 7 mpg.

I generally run at about 62-63 mph; I use cruise control whenever possible. I also chekc to see that my tire pressure is correct before driving off.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
read & learn,
My tire pressure is 95 in the front and 85 in the rear.

When you head West on I10, consider reducing the air back to what Spartan set it at. I10 is a really bad, bunpy road. Tires harder than they need be will challenge your coach to stay together.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote