Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #15
Thank you all so much for your helpful insights on this subject. It has been of immense help to us as we try to navigate through this deal. We're still in the process of negotiating and hope to come to an agreement soon! Your tips have helped us to know where we stand and how to proceed. Thank you again.

Port Orchard, WA

JoAnneWA00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Joanne, enjoy these times. This can be fun stuff. I bought my first RV last May and it was a doozy for a first timer.

From what I learned on this forum, I knew to do my homework so (once I figured out the make, model, etc that I wanted) I did a Google to find dealers around the country who had them in stock. I probably sent out 15 emails asking for a "best price" on the unit. Six dealers replied with a bottom line number. I suspect that I could have even gotten them down off of that but I went into my local dealer armed with these emails and made them an offer which was about 26% off of MSRP. Again I probably could have driven a tougher bargain in a few different ways but I was happy being able to do business locally and willing to pay a slight premium for doing that.

One thing I really did screw up, however, was the purchase of "extras". Specifically, I made the mistake of negotiating the price on the coach BEFORE we talked about extras such as extended warranty, roadside assistance, and protectant for the full body paint. I really took a bath on those paying retail. Decide on what extras you want before negotiating the price and you'll be much better off.

Happy Hunting!

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #17
Damon Owners Club
Well he has to make a 'profit', but right now the economy is in the tank, and 'sales' are probably down. You should do a lot of homework. When you drive the 2007 off the lot, it is already going to be almost two years old !!

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:45 AM   #18
Keep in mind that the batteries are almost two years old and probably sitting inactive and low charge. I believe this means that you only have two to three years or less life left in them.
Also the tires probably have been sitting in one spot most all that time with the sun on them. It's possible signs of dry rot could show up in another couple of years.
2009 Winnebago Tour 40TD
jcar6109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:26 AM   #19
Newmar Owners Club
Here are some things to consider in your quest;

A 2007 model year unit is now, or very shortly will be 2 years old (new model year RV products debut in April), therefore when you drive a 2007 model year off the lot you will loose at least 40% of its value to depreciation. This could be a major consideration depending on your ownership/usage plan for your RV.

I have found that a dealer can, and will, discount current model year units higher than new prior year units, they have less invested. The deepest discounts seem to be on units that are ordered by the customers from the factory. You may find that ordering a 2009 is cheaper in the long run than buying a "New" 2007 model, especially when you bring depreciation and your ownership plan into equation.

If you really want to save $$, look for the 2007 model you are interested in "used".

Good points have been made about "New" 2007 models, tires, batteries, light bulbs, lubricates, finishes and etc. are 2 years old so your "New" product is really an "old" unused product. All the time this "new" product has been sitting on a lot exposed to the elements, with little care. The manufacture will give you the "New" product warranties, but if you check, in most cases, none of the required maintenance has been conducted on the chassis or drive train. Unit may have been shown at many RV shows, therefore seen a lot of traffic. Find out where the MH was manufactured, figure out the mileage between the factory and dealer, the current odometer reading will give you some idea of how much the product has been shown at other venues.

If you decide to buy a unit that is not the current model year insist that dealer/manufacture replace things like batteries, interior light bulbs, conduct required chassis/drive train maintenance, change fluids and tires (especially on 2yr old "new" unit) at a minimum, at their expense not yours. Tire manufactures will tell you that RV tires should be changed after 7 or 8 years of life, the tires on a "New" 2007 unit may already be 2 or 3 years old at delivery to you.

Another way to make up for depreciation loses on a "new" past model year unit is to ask dealer to include the after-market options that you desire , (ie awning packages, solar power packages, sun screens, tow bars, bike racks, extended warranties and etc.), they are more likely to do this than give you discounts. Remember the longer the unit has sit on the lot the more the dealer has invested and owes his banker. RV industry dealers own the products on their lots, so they are stuck with the unit until they sell it, the only time you see units moved between dealers is if the dealerships are owned by the same company, unlike the auto industry.

"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything"
2008 Newmar VTDP - 3330 - ISBXT 350 Spartan NVS
Toad - 2013 Mini Cooper S or 93 Nissan 4WD PU
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote