Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
Newmar Owners Club
MT, OR, Where to buy tires

I am taking a trip north this summer. I would like to replace my tires in a state that doesn't charge sales tax and save a few bucks. Does anyone have a recommendation for either Oregon or Montana? I would be using the FMCA program. Need a 305/70R22.5 to put on my Motorhome. Thanks

Mike & Gloria
2009 DSDP 4010
Toad--2004 Jeep Unlimited
mbisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Call and find out who participates in the FMCA program, that will dictate your dealer.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #3
Country Coach Owners Club
I would say that there are more rv tires sold in OR than MT. You probably would have better luck finding fresher tires of your size in OR. I can recommend Superior Tire Service :: WA & OR Tires & Auto Repair Shops in OR. I used the one in Eugene
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:39 PM   #4
I have good luck with my local Les Schwab but I know the owner. They are not the cheapest and service varies from store to store. Also, I don't let them try to sell me their house brand trailer tires, they're junk, I stick with Maxxis. I do watch their service guys while they're torquing lug nuts.
2004.5 GMC SLT CCLB, Ride Rites, Turbo brake, EFI Live
2012 Arctic Fox 29 5T 5th Airborne, B&W, Prodigy
Papillon navigators Lily, Buddy and Willow
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #5

I got mine through Henderson's Line up in Grants Pass. They don't sell the tires but work closely with a company that participates in the FMCA program. If you call them they'll give you the name of the tire company, the tire company will deliver the tires to Henderson's and Henderson's will mount and balance. Henderson's also has a couple of electric connections outside the shop and will give you power if you need to overnight.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #6
x2 for Les Schwab. We've been customers for 30 years or more at various Schwab stores in Western WA. We've always bought Toyo tires and have them on our Georgetown and our Kia Sedona.

The GT had elderly (9 years old) OEM Goodyears on it when we bought it. One of the first things we did, after getting it home the 40 miles from the seller, was get to Schwab's for a new set. Without me even asking, the store manager went looking for the newest tires he could find in the warehouse and he got me a set that were only 6 weeks old.

We never had a bad experience with any of the Schwab stores and many go above and beyond "typical" service.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
x3 for Les Schwab. Go to Les Schwab Tires in Junction City, Oregon. They specialize in RVs and are just north of Eugene on Highway 99.
Bill, Teri, & our mini dachs (Sammy & Sadie)
2013 Ventana 4018, 380 ISC 8.3L
2008 Ford Edge and 2006 Mini Cooper S Conv
Bill & Teri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:27 PM   #8
National RV Owners Club
Wyatts Tire Service in Eugene,Or also participates in the Michelin FMCA Advantgage Plan. Just bought 6 new tires from them for our coach. Some of Michelins tire sizes are constrained now, so be sure and check availability at your dealer.
viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone who replied. Good information for when I take off.
Mike & Gloria
2009 DSDP 4010
Toad--2004 Jeep Unlimited
mbisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #10
If price is important get a quote at costco, they almost always beat the FMCA price and will trounce Les Schwabs price. And since they special order tires their date codes are always good. The only hassle is you need to pick up the tires and take them to a local semi-truck shop that has a busy emergency roadside service center. I then trade them my old skins (they don't care about age only wear) for a free mount and balance. I have done this three times in Oregon when we lived just over the border in Washington.

If you don't have a way to transport the tires just stay in a campground and ask any of the retired 5th wheel owners if you can get them to pick up the tires and deliver them for you. One time I paid the guy $30 for his trouble and another I bought him a steak dinner and a few brews. These guys are almost always happy to help.

Steven and Stephanie
2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2008 Hyundai Elantra
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote