Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #1

Multiplex Problem

We have an 'o8 Holiday Rambler Scepter and have experienced an assortment of electrical issues pretty much since new. The dealer went out of business and then Monaco took bankruptcy so I'm left trying to make sense of things and correct what I can. Maybe someone has experienced similar issues and can offer some insight or maybe others with knowledge of RV electrics could offer an opinion.

The main issue to that when the generator is running, the coach's lights and fans will turn on or off by themselves. Either parked or in motion, they come on randomly causing us to go to the appropriate switch to turn them off after which they may or may not turn right back on. It seems that the Multiplex system might be getting a surge or signal of some sort activating the various switches. This goes on as long as the generator is running. Once in a great while, one particular light might come on when the generator is off but on shore power and the roof air closest to the light cycles on or off, but this is rare. We'd had it to RV repair centers twice to no avail checking for loose connections, faulty grounds, proper alternator output, battery condition, but these are "OK". The Multiplex switches check out OK as well. I am at a loss to understand what to look for next. One thought, but I have not replaced yet, is that the Energy Managment System control circuit board (a model 760) might be defective?

All the various other issues may or may not be interratled but might center around the coming together of power from the generator and from the chassis. The brake light fuse has blown several times, the ignition fuse has blown once, all the dash gauges will sometimes "go dead" while driving and then power back up after several seconds, the odometer LCD sometimes goes for a long while all scrambled and unreadable and then clears itself. The generator does not have to be running for these issues to crop up, although I am not sure but that it is running most of the time these issues occur.

I have contacted Monaco technical assistance, but there suggestions did not pan out. I'm stumped! I will truly appreciate any feedback offered. Thanks in advance for your time and attention to this rather long posting.

Richard

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2010, 02:56 PM   #2

I am not and expert but it sounds like it could be a ground wire issue.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Richard -- The problem is,probably, the control module -- It is located in the AC breaker panel -- It will be about the size of your hand, laying horizonal, with 8 black wires & a white ground connected to it -- On the underside is where the 12v hooks in -- There will be a 12v fuse there also -- That module will need to be replaced -- It`s an easy fix, but don`t know where to get the part - I have a 07 Camelot, & had the same problem -- They couldn`t fix it at the Monaco Service Center in Harrisburg, OR -- A friend told me of this fix, & Monaco tech said no way could this be the problem -- I was still in warranty, & after much fussing, they sent me the part -- No more problem -- A dealer with a tech that has experince with the multi-plex system, should be able to hook a computer to the system & find the problem -- The control module should be available online -- Bill Willard
Old 08-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #4

Bill:

Thanks so much for your reply. I was in hopes of hearing from someone who might have experienced the same issue and how they solved it. It was suggested by a Monaco technical representative that replacing the EMS cirucit board sounded like it would take care of the problem, however since I've spent about $1,500 so far with dealer's troubleshooting with no fix, I hoped for a bit more confirmation which you've kindly provided. I've looked this circuit board over already and I believe I can replace it after finding a replacement. Thank you.

Cheers

Richard Johnson
Old 08-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #5

A grounding issue was the first diagnosis, but I've looked the coach over for a grounding fault and had two service centers do the same but can't seem to narrow it to this. Thank you for your input.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have the same problem with my coach when I first start the generator. All the florescent ceiling lights will come on and sometimes the bedroom ceiling lights will come on. This never happens when just on shore power so I don't really feel it's the EMS PC board. I had an issue with the generator only showing 30 amps available on the EMS panel but I fixed that by cleaning the contacts on the green generator status light. After I turn off all the lights when the generator starts they never come on again unless I turn them on so it is kinda strange. One thing to check is make sure you have a 12 VDC signal on the EMS PC board feed, that was one of my problems.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #7

Bob:

I will investigate the 12V DC power into the EMS PC issue as a part of anything I wind up doing. Our situation is a bit different from you experience in that the various lights and fans do switch on and off randomly no matter how many times we turn them off by switch. Before turning the generator on I make it a point to shut the exhaust fans off and pretty much just have to endure the lights being on. But your suggestion is another piece to the puzzle possibly. Thank you for helping out.

Cheers

Richard Johnson
Old 08-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The "techs" at Harrisburg spent 3 days, replacing the florescent lights, tightening ground wires, replacing various switches & such, & had their hands next to the control module, but never checked it -- Told me it was fixed -- Next stop after leaving, the same thing started happened again, a light would come on, turn that one off, & another would come on -- This was very upsetting when a light would come on in the middle of the night -- The module just snaps out of the panel, & the 12v side is just 2 plugs to undo -- The maker of the muti-plex system has a web site, & Mega RV Parts can probably get the part for you --- Bill Willard
Old 08-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #9

Bill:

I know precisely what you mean. For us it sometimes happens that in the middle of the night (seems like 3 am is a favorite time) the bedroom fluorescents (3 of them) just pop on when the running a/c cycles on. Talk about an eye opener! But it is comforting to be on the track of correcting these things through help from people like you. Thank you.

Regards

Richard Johnson