Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch
Here is a quick read on the dangers of ozone.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/research/indoo...ct_sheet-a.pdf

I don't recommend the inexperienced to mess with ozone!
I am in Restoration and use ozone. We are VERY careful with it's use and applications.
As long as the space is well ventilated after the treatment the hazards are eliminated. We have used 0 3 in thousands of reconditionings of vehicles with out any problems. I do agree it is not safe in high concentrations, and would not occupy a space during treatment, how ever I would not scare people away from this solution. Fabrics can absorb the ozone, and therefore when treating a space ample ventilation is required post treatment. Ozone is very effective, and yes I do agree, potentially dangerous if you don't follow common sense guidelines. If you are a complete moron then forget about ozone. It is even more effective if you allow the hvac to run during treatment to circulate the o 3 and treat the hvac as well. If you treat with ozone for 8 hours with the hvac running I would ventilate for the same period with the hvac running.
Erlingiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And, this should not be used as air purification in an occupied space, I believe this thread was about removing a musty odor, which can be done with a single treatment and AMPLE ventilation, as a matter a fact I personally feel the ventilation is more important than the 0 3, but the ozone will accelerate the process
Erlingiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #17
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
As I mentioned, we use it and have taken training for it's use and are aware of it's bad side. It can be effective in reducing odors, agreed, my point was to be aware and educate yourself before using is all I was saying.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've given my rig three 10 hour treatments, then went in 10 hours later and ventilated with fans and all windows open. I'm on oxygen, so the last thing I would want to do is damage my lungs any further. I did days of research on how this works, and all the dangers. I agree, after my research, I am downright afraid of this thing. I will always err on the side of caution.

Getting back to the effectiveness, this ozone generator did an amazing job. We took out the unit yesterday for fuel and a little shakedown of all systems, and the odors are all completely gone!

Once again, I had a problem, did a search here, started a thread, and problem solved. This site is GREAT!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #19
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I've given my rig three 10 hour treatments, then went in 10 hours later and ventilated with fans and all windows open. I'm on oxygen, so the last thing I would want to do is damage my lungs any further. I did days of research on how this works, and all the dangers. I agree, after my research, I am downright afraid of this thing. I will always err on the side of caution.

Getting back to the effectiveness, this ozone generator did an amazing job. We took out the unit yesterday for fuel and a little shakedown of all systems, and the odors are all completely gone!

Once again, I had a problem, did a search here, started a thread, and problem solved. This site is GREAT!
Excellant! That was why I posted a caution! Thanks for the follow up.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #20

Quote:

I'm glad you got rid of the smell. I also hope it's not mold that caused it because if it is the smell will return on the next humid day and you will know. If you have lung problems please don't breath the mold if it does come back. Here's hoping it doesn't come back. Good luck.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
...I had a problem, did a search here, started a thread, and problem solved. This site is GREAT!
Agreed. I learned a thing or two myself following this thread.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by retmotor View Post
...I like this stuff, Bissell Allergen Cleansing...
I'd like to retract that endorsement for two reasons. I rented a Rug Doctor yesterday and spent pretty much all of yesterday afternoon and this morning cleaning the carpet and the upholstery in the new-to-us motorhome. At the end of last night I had gone through 20 gallons of cleaning solution. Before I starting cleaning, the interior really didn't smell like anything. It did after I got everything wet. It smelled like dirt. I guess I stirred it up.

This morning I switched to a vinegar solution and that seems to have eliminated that odor. Also, it seemed to clean as well, or possibly even better than, the Bissell stuff.

The other reason I no longer care for the Bissell cleaner is it made my fingers and palms burn/itch. I've never experience that sensation when using it before. I've never had the aforementioned odor problem either but I'm not sure I have ever had to clean anything this dirty. I'm going to quit using it so long as the vinegar works well in the cars.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #23

If you have mold the only general cleaning fluid that will kill it is chlorine. If you use anything else it will just mask the smell until the humidity comes back and the mold grows. In Fl. we have a big problem with mold and believe me it can make you very sick.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am happy to report, we went to Whispering Hills this weekend. Not one whiff or trace of what we smelled. The 3 ozone shock treatments, seems to have done the trick. The Ozone generator we well worth the money. Previous to this, we shampooed crept twice, including the furniture. We also cleaned wall and ceiling. After all that effort, absolutely no difference. The commercial ozone generator did the job. I am still wondering what the sickening sweet smell was. I have searched every inch of the carpet, furniture, walls, and ceiling. Not any hint of mold.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Great to hear regarding no odors. A friend told me an old sales trick was to spray Old Spice throughout the coach. They used it to cover up odors. He said it was near impossible to get rid of. Perhaps the sweet smell was something like that.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:56 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A dead mouse or mice will give off a sickening sweet smell.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan
A dead mouse or mice will give off a sickening sweet smell.
If that is the case, I would not know where to look. The smell has been there since we bought it, but we never really never thought much about it until we stored it and had it closed up for a while. At that time, I searched every nook and cranny inside and outside the unit. Not one hint of feces or shredding of material.

In any event, for now the problem is solved, I will just have to wait and see if it comes back. I do appreciate the suggestion. I know once those rodents get inside, it is next to I possible to find them.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
I also followed this thread...and heeded the warnings. Our brand new Newmar developed a tiny leak on the roof seam in the rear corner and dripped into a closet light fixture. I had it handled under warranty but a slight musty smell just hasn't gone away. i took it back once and they masked the smell but it came back. I am sure the leak is fixed as I went up and verified the repair, but I just hated the occasional slight must that came out of the closet area. I put a small ozone generator in the bedroom with the door closed (in our driveway...we were not in it) and shocked it for about 10 hrs. Unplugged and let sit for about 8 hrs...then held my breath and opened the windows for another day. The odor is totally GONE. In fact, it smells like a brand new rig again in there. I gave my second hand toad a shock for a couple hours the other day and it too smells like a new car in there now.

I do not think I would use an ozone machine as an air purifier for use while I was in the room...I believe this is the use that the California paper is warning against.

Tags
smell