Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
I fill my batteries to where the electrolyte just starts to fill the vent well. To be technically correct it should be just to the botton of the vent well but it's difficult to determine when it's "just below" so I fill to the vent tube.

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #30

RJay,

Thanks,
RJ

Old 04-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJEV View Post
How much should the plates be covered? I think I sometimes add too much water.

Thanks,
RJ
I've read that most battery manufacturers reccommend filling each cell with distilled water at or just below the vent or fill tubes. Thermoil recommends filling to within a 1/8 of an inch of the bottom of the vent tubes, that is after the installation of 4 OZs of their oil in each cell (6V golf cart batts...2 OZs in 12 V batts).

After MUCH labor to clean, neutralize and paint our battery compartment, I'm looking for great things out of this oil install and I'm very much encouraged by these success stories. Thanks for sharing them. Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #32

I use baby oil instead, since it's nothing more than mineral oil with a little added perfume.

Not only does my battery compartment stay corrosion-free, it smells nice too!

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is there any reason that mineral oil wouldn't work on 12V batteries? I know that the cell size between the 6V and 12V batteries is a ratio of 2 to 1 but it seems like it should work just as well.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:00 PM   #34

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mineral Oil and 12V batteries

Is there any reason that mineral oil wouldn't work on 12V batteries? I know that the cell size between the 6V and 12V batteries is a ratio of 2 to 1 but it seems like it should work just as well.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:41 PM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
http://www.ecovantageenergy.com/catalog/items/item33.htm
Some Alpine Owners use these check out the Alpine Forum do a search on Hydro Caps. They are expensive, but work great.
Is use water misers caps, since they were cheaper and my batteries are older.

You can find them here: http://store.solar-electric.com/batwatmiscap.html

You lose electrolyte when you add mineral oil. It works, and has been used in the high voltage electrical transformer industry for years. The transformers its used in must be processed to remove as much as the water as possible. When those large units fail, you can have a fire, and that oil burns very hot and is hard to extinguish. So the above units do a better and safer job in keeping the water in and the corrosion down.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #36

The most common reason batteries off gas so much is that the cells are overfilled. If you fill to the bottom of the vent then the area directly under the cap is the only place the gas can escape the electrolyte, so the gas and liquid splash spews out the vent. If the electrolyte level is lower then the vent tube then the gas can escape from the electrolyte in the total surface area of the cell. The gas that is not under the vent causes no harm as the liquid usually falls back into the electrolyte and the gas proceeds to the vent.
I've taken many batteries apart and examined them. Also the owners manual for an old 1966 Dodge pickup I had said to fill only 1/4" above the plates.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #37

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
I can't wait to see where this thread goes. Wonder why the battery manufacturers don't just put a dab of mineral oil in each cell? Maybe and just maybe, it causes them to fail prematurely.

I am also curious about all the expensive damage that the battery off gassing is going to cause, My batteries sit on a fiberglass tray. I keep the cables and terminals clean and protected. Should I be protecting that big ole Cummins from something?
I am not sure, but, don't the manufacturers ship the batteries dry?
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #38

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rv'er View Post
http://www.ecovantageenergy.com/catalog/items/item33.htm
Some Alpine Owners use these – check out the Alpine Forum – do a search on Hydro Caps. They are expensive, but work great.
Is use water misers caps, since they were cheaper and my batteries are older.

You can find them here: http://store.solar-electric.com/batwatmiscap.html
"""Hydrocaps are more expensive - because they do more. Hydrocaps will not last forever, though - life will vary from 3 years to 8 years, depending on charge rates and how they are treated. If left on during battery equalization, they can be quickly used up and/or ruined."""

Would someone please explain what "batter equalization" means.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #39

Charge rate determines gasing

The amount of gassing is directly related to the charge rate.

If we exceed the needed rate of charge for the condition of the battery then the battery will appear to be boiling instead of small bubbles.

Folks who install a 70 amp charger and try to fast charge their batteries after a trip are going to have problems, adding oil just changes them.

Every battery has a posted charge rate, often it is to not exceed 20 to 30 amps for the large 200 amp hour units.

Float charging not to exceed 1% of battery rated capacity during storage prevents self-discharge that caused the plates to sulfate, the sulfated plates reduce the surface area making the battery capacity smaller, this also increases the gassing while charging as the rate of charge now is larger for the now small battery.

Better to float the battery for a week than to rapid charge over night.

The starting batteries should not have a high rate of charge for more than a few minutes as they are only used for starting and the amount of energy consumed by the loads are small compared to the size of the battery, so the starting battery should be fairly clean, if it is hard to manage then the charging voltage may be a little too high and should be checked.

Chassis batteries are a whole different matter, everyone has different duty cycles, how long on battery and how long to charge.

If the starting batteries are gassing too much then the chassis batteries will also be an issue.

No, the manufacturers are not going to stand behind adding oil to exted the life, but the reasons are not for lack of sales, it is more to loss of control of their reputation, the oil is something that can add to a fire if one happens, or can cause damage to the battery if the user does not maintain the water level as they should.

The manufacturers are strictly concerned with the installation of the battery and how it is supported, for industrial battery warranty claims proof of operating conditions must be provided.

And if the batteries are ever equalized the warranty is void as this is not commonly supported any longer.

Is oil right for you?

Many claim it is great stuff, I would suggest that as long as the user takes the care to insure the battery has the proper amount of acid, and the amount of oil is correct for their battery, and they still maintain the unit as required it may be a benefit and reduce some problems.

The "special caps" also are a suggestion as they attempt to make the battery work more like a VRLA type battery, these too require proper maintenance of the battery plant.

As for the age, Telco batteries are designed for a 10 year installed life under ideal conditions as FLOAT service, they seldom are discharged more than 75% and average about 6 years before they degrade to the point they no longer support their equipment.

Coach batteries will not ever be in optimal conditions for the battery, the owners responsibility is to insure the battery has a happy home, confirm the rate of charge and the correct voltages and make adjustments to insure these are not exceeded.

Next remove any external sources of heat from the area of the battery plant, relocate the chassis battery away from the engine, add a heat barrier or leave as is if the heat is not excesssive.

And consider battery maintenance same as the oil change, it must be done or bad things happen.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:33 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
I cannot believe what I'm reading::: I do respect Everyone opion, However . The facts are A small amount of oil coats top of the water to reduce Evaporation. It has no other purpose. So check The water and keep it up just a bit over the plates. And use oil in the engine crankcase. And for maybe cooking. Don't be lazy Chack your battrey Water;; I don't know were I went wrong, We have an Ultimate; Winn, 38; with 5 Batteries I put in in 2002. And 8 years later They still power the Inverter For toaster, microwave, coffee maker, I use no oil Where did I go wrong. Come on guys Use a little common sence;;
Old 09-14-2010, 09:59 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Bachler,
I don't think your missing anything if you are satisfied with the level of corrosion in your battery compartment and the amount of maintenance you have to do in your battery compartment. The purpose of my post was simply to say what I had done and why I did it, I'm not trying to convince any to do it, just that I did.

After six months of using it I am very satisfied with the results. There is no longer any corrosion in the battery compartment, the tops of the batteries stay clean with no film and each time I check the water level it where its supposed to be and I haven't noticed any decline in battery performance. Since my battery compartment is next to my engine I'm just trying to protect my investment.

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote