Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #1

My Toad just got violated

Rented a car from Enterprise in Pensacola, Fl to use for a three day trip. My toed (2007 Saturn Vue) is getting a lot of miles on it so decided to give it a rest. The folks at the rental office said no problem leaving my toed there in their lot, people do it all the time. One employee said they have had break-ins in the past. If they would have told me this when asking about leaving it there I would have taken it back to the RV park. Came back and found my toed had been vandalized, broken window and stuff scattered everywhere. Have USAA insurance but have a $500 deductible.
Major problem is it has rained cats and dogs for hours and the car is soaked inside. The folks at the Enterprise Rental Agency could have put something over the window and prevented the majority of the water damage, but chose not to.USAA had it towed to a repair shop last ni ght. I went to check on it this morning and the repair shop is not open and it is in their locked yard with the window still open and yes it is still raining.
Anyone deal with an issue like this? Will the interior mold with all the water?
Ron
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #2

make sure insurance replaces the carpet and the seat on the broken window side.

Mold probably isn't the biggest problem, I'd think rust under the carpet and on all the seat's moving parts and springs would be.

Probably also need to pull the inside door panel off and make sure it's dry inside or all the regulator parts will rust.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would have taken a picture of it just sitting in the storage yard "still" with the broken window open to the elements....

And I would agree...If there is any amount of water sitting in the floor pans, that carpet is going to have to be pulled up dry out.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
I would have taken a picture of it just sitting in the storage yard "still" with the broken window open to the elements....
I did take several pictures. Even found a plastic Bic lighter that the intruder dropped in the car. Called the police dept and told them about it. They said they would not be able to get finger prints off of it.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
OH... great idea. will do that. Ron
Old 02-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #6

Isn't Enterprise the company that will "pick you up" at your location with your rental ?.

Unless your car has been submerged or kept wet for days it will likely dry out without permanent damage. The floor under the carpet is painted just like the exterior so it should be fine. My wife has left the top off of her car on several occasions when it rained. Water dries and there's never been a problem.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #7

Do not worry about the inside of the door as suggested...the inside of the doors do get wet when the car gets wet.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #8

Get your $500 dollar deductible, have them remove the seats and carpet clean and dry.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would also be looking to Enterprise, who told you it was OK to leave the car there, to help with the deductible and possibly more. It was on their property, they have insurance. They said leave it, it is their responsibility to protect property they allowed to be left on their property.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:27 AM   #10

Ron,

I am very sorry to hear that happened. Reading that story made me very angry and a little sick to my stomach. I hope you get it all worked out. Oh the world we live in.
gajd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sorry to hear your story.

My DW's Towncar was flooded when we took a trip by air. It was in the pay-for-parking lot and their policy is that they are not responsible for damages. There is nothing they could have done as the parking lot flooded. The water did get into the car but not high enough to affect the electronics. Had that happened I was told it would have been totaled. However, the dealer we took it to has procedures for flooded vehicles, so ask about it. In our case the front seat electronics were replaces as was all the carpet pulled out, the metal treated and the carpets replaced. I believe they stated that they pulled the door panels and checked them. If possible, be there when the adjuster is there. Ask questions and request those items that you want checked to be checked. Express your concerns and your pictures of the left open windows. Also what happened in the Enterprise yard. The insurance company will iron it all out.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
I would also be looking to Enterprise, who told you it was OK to leave the car there, to help with the deductible and possibly more. It was on their property, they have insurance. They said leave it, it is their responsibility to protect property they allowed to be left on their property.
I asked the manager at the Enterprise office on Navy Blvd if they had insurance. She said they were self insured. She also said basically it's your tough luck, we are not responsible for your automobile. They would not even help me a little by waiting for the tow truck and giving me a ride... said we close at 6 sorry. Ron
Old 02-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #13

Enterprise sucks. It's a privately owned company so they have no stockholders the management has to be responsible to. It is also true that they self-insure. They are a PIA to deal with should you have a problem.

I was rear ended by a Enterprise rental car while stopped at a light. I had slight injury not requiring immediate attention but my dog was thrown around and injured (he performs in agility trials). The whole process was a hassle and I would never use nor recommend them .

That said it is unlikely your car will suffer any long term problems once it is dried out. Still a pain have to deal with it
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Enterprise is not legally responsible for the damage to your car. Might they have done something after the fact to prevent further damage? Yes, but only as a courtesy, they are not obligated to.

If the carpets are just damp I'd not worry too much, but if they were soaked you may want them removed until they can completely dry. Not knowing what kind of car you have, some have a "computer" under one of the seats. If this gets wet (or any of the electronics, for that matter) you can experience intermittent problems forever, if not replaced.

Having handled a number of flood claims over my years with State Farm, it was generally accepted that if the water rose high enough to submerge the dashboard area we'd total the car. Obviously that is not the case here. It can be "repaired", but you should see if you can find someone experienced with flood damage, even though it was not a full fledged flood.

Good luck!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote