Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
My Toyo 22.5's are 12 years OLD!!!

Ok just got my bus out of storage (6 months) and took it straight to Les Schwab Tire center (big chain in Oregon) to have my 6 (six) tires checked and inspected. I had two guys go over all of them and they said they looked good and safe for this summer... no signs of danger. Les Schwab sell and are experts on Toyo 22.5 tires. I had the guys tell me the dates and to my HORROR they were all manufactured in the 52 week of 1998!

Now, that being said... this coach has had an easy life, stored in a heated warehouse and on jacks.

How big of trouble am i in? The experts say the tires look new.

fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Did they look on the inside. Visual inspections only tell you that the tire "looks" good, doesn't tell you if it is good. The "experts" say 10 years is max. Definition of an expert; someone who lives 20 miles away! A "tire expert" makes $10.00/hour, you get what you pay for!

It is up to you, rear blowouts are usually an inconvenience and occasionally can damage your MH or someones car behind you. On a rare occasion it can put the person behind you at risk for physical harm. Front tire blowouts can kill you and others. If you're going to let them go, practice and make sure you know how to handle a front blowout. Power through the pull of the wheel at full acceleration until you have it under control. Do not hit the brakes, or you will dive into the ditch or other lane.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you ever seen an accident looking for a place to happen? My personal opinion is that those tires are to old to be dependable.

The more use a tire gets, the more life expectancy. So yours being stored for 6 months, and then driven infrequently for six months actually shortens the life expectancy.
Six months loaded with little or no rotations, is not good.
Statistically the average life expectancy is up to 7 years, but can be as little as 5 years.
A inspection will include dismounting the tire and inspecting the inside

Here is one read on it

Here is an iRV2 thread.

This is one of those controversial subjects. It is one that definately should not be taken lightly. There are many opinions that have been expressed, and even the "experts" do not agree in all cases. It is a judgmental saftey issue. So ask yourself, how safe do you feel, how much peace of mind do you have?

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I posted something I saw a few weeks ago about some 5-7 yr old Toyo tires with 48k miles that looked no more than 6 mos old. The owner could not be more pleased with the tires.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, a tire salesman telling a potential customer his 12 year old tires are fine is kind of like a drug dealer telling a junkie he needs to lay off the stuff for a while because he's concerned about his health.

I guess it's a tough call. You are reaping the benefits of buying good tires and taking excellent care of them, but personally, I would have a tough time running on 12 year old tires. Also, I would think about how long I was planning on keeping the coach before trading. If I thought I was going to sell or trade in the next couple of years, I would probably risk it since the tire dealer gave them a clean bill of health. But if that time frame looked more like 5 to 6 years or more, then by all means I would replace them now. Why risk it for one or two more years just so the next owner can reap the benefits?

I can tell you from experience....one blowout can cost you more than you will ever save by pushing your luck.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:31 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ok. I don't have the money but I can charge it. I don't want to risk my family's life. $2,300 for fancy Toyo's... here I come.
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
That money you charge will , in the long run, give you the safest feeling that you can have. I know- mine were old- 7 years and before I made my Calif and Montana trip I had them changed. Did not worry about tires. All I worried about was paying for fuel
Old 04-23-2010, 06:29 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I sometimes wonder, where did the life expectency answer start and then get promulgated? Could it have been the tire companies? And is their primary interest selling tires or in safety? Just a thought. Plenty of unexpected blowouts are on relatively new tires. It is as if the only criteria is age. I would think (and I am no expert, although many of you seem to be) that what is on the inside of a tire is a function of road hazards which is a function of mileage, not age. Truckers have no problem with replacing steer tires when the tread is low which is a function of many more miles than we put on our tires. So if a $10.00 an hour tire guy with 15 years experience changing thousands of tires says the tire "looks" good, I would not discount that information. All that being said, I would put replacement of 12 year old tires on my priority list. I did when I realized the 15 year old tires on my seldom used jeep started looking weather checked, not on the sidewalls but in the tread. And I am going to replace the 10 year old inside duals on my RV, but leave the 5 year old tires in place for several more years.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:09 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
I am going to replace the 10 year old inside duals on my RV, but leave the 5 year old tires in place for several more years.
I guess the outside will last longer since the inside will be taking the load. Of course the inside will eventually wear down and then the load will be equalized. I will qualify this comment by saying I'm not an expert, don't pretend to be nor am I an experienced $10 per hour tire changer. But I do know this, the new tire will have a larger diameter than the old tire.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:15 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Whereis the Dot code on Goodyear 22.5 670 275's
Old 04-23-2010, 07:29 AM   #11

The DOT code is stamped on the sidewall with the letters DOT. It is stamped on one side, so if you don't see it- its on the opposite side.
To keep all tires equal, I believe that the 4 drives need to be replaced at the same time. A blowout can take out a lot of stuff- air lines,, hydraulics, and a whole lot more.
Its a personal choice to either be frugal or safe. I choose the latter.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've owned our RV for 6 years and we are on our 3rd set of tires. We put a new set of tires on within 30 days of our purchase. The old ones showed checking, some of it pretty heavy, around the area of the sidewall where the zipper blowouts occur. We knew that the RV sat for over a year and had not idea about whether the tire pressure had been properly maintained during that time. I judged it to be too large of a risk to take and replaced the tires. We had 5 trouble free years of driving with no tire problems.

Coming up on the 6th year, in spite of the fact that the tires had covered when not in use, checking showed up on the side walls of the steer axle tires. I mulled it over for several months. Replace 2? Replace 6? Wait another year? It only took re-reading some of the stories about severe damage from blowouts (that would cost several times as much as a new set of tires) to help me make the decision. Then I sat down with a calculator. Assuming a reasonably constant increase in the price of tires every year, the difference for me replacing the tires at 5 years versus 7 years was $166 per year. That made it pretty much of a no-brainer for me. We got 6 new tires.

I'm also from the school of thought that says belts and hoses need to be replaced at 5 years. The rubber wears out, as much from sitting as from use. Over 30 years, I've thrown my money away on our passenger vehicles with my belt and hose replacement policy. In that time, we never had a breakdown because of those items. Since I do all of my own work, the money that I threw away was the cost of the parts. Our '94 Saturn had 4 engine belts put on it until we sold it last year at about $30 each.

My point is this. I'm as stingy as the next guy about trying not to spend money that I don't have to. I prefer, however, to have reliable vehicles. If I'm willing to spend money on belts and hoses a 5 years to keep the vehicles reliable, why wouldn't I extend that to tires, where there is also a safety factor. I'm just not confident enough in my ability to steer through a steer axle blowout that I want to risk more than necessary. I rationalize the money that I'm spending for my paranoia by recognizing that I'm saving myself a lot more than that by doing my own work on all my vehicles. I guess we each make our own decisions and live with the consequences.

And this comes to you from a guy who WAS struck by lightning and lived to tell about it. Maybe that is why I don't want to press my luck further.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #13

My coach weighs 42,000. I tow a 1 ton van on a custom heavy duty car hauler. So I'm close to 52, 000 going down the road. I'm not going to chance a blowout cause I have too old of tires. That is a lot of weight to control and stop.
Haven't had a blowout, yet.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:03 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkloster View Post
Ok just got my bus out of storage (6 months) and took it straight to Les Schwab Tire center (big chain in Oregon) to have my 6 (six) tires checked and inspected. I had two guys go over all of them and they said they looked good and safe for this summer... no signs of danger. Les Schwab sell and are experts on Toyo 22.5 tires. I had the guys tell me the dates and to my HORROR they were all manufactured in the 52 week of 1998!

Now, that being said... this coach has had an easy life, stored in a heated warehouse and on jacks.

How big of trouble am i in? The experts say the tires look new.
You seem to be doing something right with you tires to have them last this long. Proper inflation, loading of the coach, tires off the ground when stored, periodic cleaning of the tires, using the right tire dressing, and how you use your coach goes a long way to the longevity of a tire. You also took the tires to someone experienced to have them evaluated and received a good report. If you don't own a tire on the “problem list” then I say use them but keep a close eye on them. Tire failures are primarily due to under inflation and road hazards but if you feel uncomfortable with them then by all means change them.

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote