Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2010, 03:35 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question Mysterious Toilet Leak

We have a Sealand 110 toilet that has a very small leak somewhere near the pedal. I've already replaced the flush valve and tightened the two water lines. It seems to occur when flushing. It also seems to occur somewhere in the vicinity of the water valve but I can't figure out where. If I put a container beneath the valve, it collects a couple of ounces of water every few days. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

Jack

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2010, 06:01 AM   #2

Put some food coloring in the toilet bowl with the usual 1-2 inches of water and let it stand for a day or two. That should show up any leaks other than from supply line such as hairline cracks in the bowl, etc.

If that's negative I'd look very closely at the two water line fittings for small cracks or burrs.

My third choice would bge re-do the valve since that's the hardest to do.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had a leak in mine and finally found there was a crack in the vacuum breaker on top of the bowl. Remove the plastic cover and look there.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #4

I had a leak and found that an O ring in the flush valve was bad. Instead of buying a new valve I just took an O ring from my assortments of sizes and fixed it. In your case you really need to localize the leak. A flashlight and telescoping mirror might help. Also, just using your hand to feel for moisture could help.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I already tried the food coloring method to see if the water was coming from the bowl. It isn't. I have examined and even trimmed the two water line fittings but haven't been able to stoop the leak. It could be related to the vacuum breaker but it is unlikely that the leak would only appear near the flush valve. I've examined diagrams of the Sealand toilet and just can't see where the water could be coming from. They're not that complicated but obviously, the water is coming from somewhere. I guess I'll keep poking around to see if I can actually identify the source. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Jack
Old 11-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #6

The water valves often go bad and need to be replaced. Dry the water valve good with a paper towel followed by a hair dryer. Then use a piece of toilet paper to feel for a leak. If it is not leaking do a quick flush and feel again. If you just get one drop on a piece of toilet paper it is easy to spot.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just replaced the water valve since I thought this was the logical source of the leak. However, the leak persists. I will try to use a paper towel to pinpoint the source but there is limited access to this part of the toilet due to the small size of the room and the fact that the flushing mechanism is roughly half a foot from the wall. Thanks again.

Jack
Old 11-11-2010, 09:31 AM   #8

My leak was like TN Bills. The vacuum break leaked and followed the hose back to the valve.Water travels and leaks can be tricky.Wrap a towel around the hose near the vacuum break and check.
BOB
Old 11-13-2010, 05:09 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I checked the vacuum line at its as dry as a bone. I then played around with the flushing mechanism and the moisture seems to occur (in the form of spitting) when the toilet is flushed. However, there is no apparent source and the two water lines are secure and dry. I told my wife that if I can't find the leak, we'll have to start using the sink.

Jack
Old 11-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure if it is the same valve as mine was, but it had a black plastic cap on the bottom of the valve, opposite the plunger. Mine was leaking from there. I took it off, dried everything and epoxied the cap on. Never leaked again.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:18 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine has the black cap as well. My lesson regarding pressure regulators occurred at a campground that had exceptionally high water pressure. I flushed the toilet and suddenly, that little black cap flew off and water gushed out so fast, it flooded the bathroom before I even had time to shut the water off. Lesson 1: Use a pressure regulator. Lesson 2: Install a shut-off valve on your toilet. Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

Jack
Old 11-16-2010, 06:19 PM   #12

I found that my toilet was leaking around the shaft holding the flush ball. The hole in the base had elongated and allowed water to seep out.Not sure if the food color would show up under these conditions.I replaced the whole unit.
BOB
Old 11-17-2010, 03:08 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wouldn't be surprised if our toilet had the same problem so I'm ready to do the same. Bottom line is that the thing leaks and I cannot stop it. Thanks for the insight.

Jack
Old 11-17-2010, 07:12 AM   #14

You can try removing the shaft and putting waterproof grease in the hole.I tried to get the base only but if available it was almost the same price.
BOB