Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
Red face National MH jack and generator problem

Hi all. I have just run into a serious problem with my jacks and generator. It seems the two items are on a common circuit, and relays, at the 12 volt power panel in the rear outside cabinet. Occasionally, the generator will not start and I have just discovered that when this happens, the jacks will not lower. I have tried to follow the instructions to reset the breaker, but it does not appear to have failed. Then a few minutes later I will use the start bypass switch and the generator will then start and run successfully. Then the jacks will lower when requested. Unfortunately, all of this happens for no apparent reason. I have done the basic electrical checks with my volt meter and cannot seem to find a problem. MY question is...has anyone else seen this kind of problem and are there any suggestions where I might look next. The books that come with the coach have been mostly useless.

twirtcabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
They both are powered through a 150 amp resettable DC circuit breaker, no relays. Did you cycle the trip lever on the breaker up and down? The trip lever should snap up, back in place, in the closed position. Is the nut tight that holds the two cable ring ends onto the board. The electrical connections for the breaker are made by the nuts on the board. Are they tight?
The manual gives you a schematic and description of this.

Most RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
2000 National Sea Breeze F53
1998 CRV Toad
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:52 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Sounds like you have a case of low battery voltage. What did you find for voltage at the generator when it was trying to start?
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Thanks for the responses. I am aware of the 150amp circuit breaker and I did firmly tighten the connection. However, I could never find any type of reset switch or lever as the manual suggested. That is why I think I have some type of relay in the circuit. The particular relay is close to the breaker and does have a very small reset. I have in the past reset this and was able to start the system by using the the boost start. This occurs to me that I did in fact have low voltage from the batteries but did not check that. The house batteries are in the replacement range now and I will do that before I do anything else. Thanks
twirtcabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
This is a similar breaker. Yours does not have the red disconnect button.
The breaker trip lever is in the trip position.
Most RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
2000 National Sea Breeze F53
1998 CRV Toad
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
X2, house batteries low voltage. On our unit the house batteries start the generator and control the jack control panel. The jack pump is powered by the chassis battery.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote

generator, national