Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
National Warranty of Florida Ext. Warr.

I just got a quote and it is much lower than Good Sam.

Has anybody had any experience with them on claims ? Good or bad.

Thanks Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Hi Cliff;

I have had three encounters with the National Warranty of Florida policy that I purchased at Lazy Days. It's been a mixed bag of results. (1) The brakes failed on my W-20 workhorse in Aug 07. I was out of warranty and asked NW of Florida to help pay the bill. They declined saying that it was either lack of maintenance on my part or bad driving habits that caused the failure. (2) One of the HWH jacks broke; they fixed it minus the deductible without problem. (3) My Alllison 1000 transmission failed last year. I had a new transmission (retran) installed at an authorized dealer in Ocala, Fl. Surprisingly and thankfully, NW of Florida paid 80 % of the bill. Interestingly, there was a guy at the shop with a broken tranny and the company refused to pay for his problem. Go Figure!. On the whole, I am satisfied with the company even though they really blamed me for the brake failure (but so did Workhorse).

Hope this helps.

Bob

CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieSCPO View Post
Hi Cliff;

I have had three encounters with the National Warranty of Florida policy that I purchased at Lazy Days. It's been a mixed bag of results. (1) The brakes failed on my W-20 workhorse in Aug 07. I was out of warranty and asked NW of Florida to help pay the bill. They declined saying that it was either lack of maintenance on my part or bad driving habits that caused the failure. (2) One of the HWH jacks broke; they fixed it minus the deductible without problem. (3) My Alllison 1000 transmission failed last year. I had a new transmission (retran) installed at an authorized dealer in Ocala, Fl. Surprisingly and thankfully, NW of Florida paid 80 % of the bill. Interestingly, there was a guy at the shop with a broken tranny and the company refused to pay for his problem. Go Figure!. On the whole, I am satisfied with the company even though they really blamed me for the brake failure (but so did Workhorse).

Hope this helps.

Bob

Thanks Bob

The 80% payment on the tranny confuses me as I thought they would pay for repair or replacement minus the ded. ???????

Ciff

Old 02-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Cliff;

Looking at the invoice, I guess they paid closer to 85 %...never was any good at math! I paid $470.00, my deductible was $200.00, Fla tax was $202.00 and shipping and handling of the new tranny as well as "shop supplies" was the rest. I was so darn pleased that they paid anything at all; heard so many horror stories about extended warranties and thinking of the denial concerning the brakes!.

If I were to purchase another new rig from Tiffin (the best for factory support), I would not buy an extended warranty, instead be very careful in maintaining the rig. if I were to buy a used rig, then I would get a policy. Tiffin has fixed things on my motor home since its been out of warranty free of charge and usually, Allison Tranmissions hardly ever fail, IMHO.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the explanation.

Cliff

Old 02-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Over 6 years had 3 in the tank fuel pump failures,,,,,,,,first one covered, no problem,,,,2nd one partially covered, not easy to deal with on this,,,,,,3rd one, did not want to cover,,,,finally covered small part of cost.......still don't know why/how fuel pump kept failing......

Will never use them again,,,,or another one,,,,,,,,,,,put the cash in cd and use it for emergency repairs.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

All of the problems cited above are pretty typical of extended warranties - they rarely cover as much as the policy holder expects. Brakes, for example, are a wear and tear item and not covered unless there is an obvious mecahnical failure of a part. Shipping charges for parts are rarely covered, nor are parts that may have failed as a result of the initial failure. If you read the fine print, you will see numerous exceptions like that. You have to decide if a extended warranty is worth the price to you or not. That's a different issue than whether the company is a good one or not.

That said, National Warranty of Florida is a pretty decent provider of extended warranties. If you Google them for "scam reports", you will see that most complaints are about loop holes on the policy that the buyer failed to read and heed before hand. Caveat emptor.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:36 PM   #8

My advice is to stay away from these guys...they are much like many "insurance" outfits in that they constantly look for ways to weasel out of their obligations at every opportunity. They are inconsistent in the application of coverages....I had a case where at one point I had a couple of leaky hydraulic fittings replaced and they were covered. Two months later more leaky fittings wern't covered. Go figure. Their logic for the decline of the last claim was that "hoses" aren't covered....and I agree with that. But it wasn't the hoses that failed and needed to be replace dit was the "fittings" themselves. Their was even an adjuster sent to confirm that it was in fact the fittings & not the hoses. Their next move was to interpret "hoses" (that are not covered) to include any fittings on the end of those hoses. Saying these were permanently attached.

Next time I would certainly not use National Warranty of Florida. Buyer beware!
Old 02-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #9

We also have a National Warranty extended contract purchased through Lazy Days. Had good success with them when we needed an inverter/charger repaired and they paid to replace the main power when the insulation failed. I am not an extended service contract advocate for many of the reasons stated above, but ours was part of the purchase package on our motorhome. National Warranty does seem (from things I have heard) to be less problematic than many others.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #10

I have one of these warranties, also purchased from Lazy Days. I made one claim when one of our rear airbags developed a leak. The Pan-Hard rod adjuster had come loose and the Pan-Hard rod mis-adjusted while driving allowing the axle to shift enough so that the airbag rubbed on the tire. The claim was denied because it was caused by "loose hardware".

A second claim was submitted for a broken roadmaster trailing arm ( endemic problem in the Roadmaster RR4R chassis BTW ) and they honored the claim, minus deductable, shipping, tax and misc fees.

Since Monaco LLC was not honoring my Holiday Rambler warranty, I am very glad that I bought this extended warranty - it pretty much paid for itself on this one claim, and I still have a year or two of coverage.

READ THE CONTRACT VERY CAREFULLY. There are several types of "loopholes" in there, it is important that you have correct expectations when dealing with the extended warranty.

Jim
Old 04-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Cliff,
I have the same warranty you are considering. I have had one claim (ball joints). The claim was paid, minus the deductible.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote