Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2014, 08:12 AM   #1
OWV

NC Residents - Delivery in one state / registering in NC

We hope to take delivery of our new coach at the end of January at RVOne in Winter Park. However, we will register the coach in NC once we get back to NC in early April. For those of you who have taken delivery in one state but registered in NC, what do we need to do when we take delivery?
  • Do we get temporary FL tags or do we have to get temporary NC tags?
  • What sales tax do you pay; delivery state's tax or NC sales tax?
  • Do we need to get a temporary NC Class B driving permit?
  • How do we do all of this if we are in FL and won't be back in NC until April?
I am planning to go to the DMV here in NC in the next couple of days, but thought it might be good to have your input before I go so I know what questions to ask and to test what they tell me against your real life experiences.

Thank you and regards,

OWV, Our Wandering View
Entegra Anthem 44B
OWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2014, 08:15 AM   #2

Sales tax would be paid in NC, not Fla. Don't know about temp tags though. You will need insurance on the rig though whichever temp tag you get. You might also want to check with your insurance agent.
HAGD,
Aex
Old 01-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll tell you our experience.

We live in NC and bought our 2012 Allegro RED in Georgia. The dealer took care of determining the required sales tax for NC, which we paid at closing and also provided us with a temporary tag. We had already contacted our insurance company and had that worked out before closing.
I did not know about the class B license requirement until I had brought the mh home, but I quickly contacted the NC DMV and got a copy of the CDL manual(you only need to study the air brake and general driving portions) and scheduled myself for the tests. It was not a big deal.
I was in NC to do all this. If you're staying in FL, you might be able to do some of it by mail, but I don't know what to tell you about getting the license.

Tim,,,

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #4

We are/were from Indiana and purchased a MH in FL and didn't go home for four months.
We paid Florida Sales tax at 6% at time of purchase. When we registered the MH in Indiana we paid the additional 1% that Indiana requires. Everything was done via mail and the web.
You will get FL temp tags good for 30 days. They can email you a second temp tag good for an additional 30 days if needed. Two temps is the max allowed.
Check the NC DMV web site for requirements and forms. I don't think you will have any problems.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
We bought in Kentucky and had insurance before traveling. We received a temp Kentucky tag and paid NC taxes at purchase. I believe that the dealer had called NC DMV to receive details before the purchase. The dealer was familiar with out of state purchases. Registration once back in NC went smoothly also.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought a new coach in Texas some years ago when I lived in NC. The dealer added NC sales tax at 3% to the invoice! but he did not know, and I did not catch, that NC has a $1500 cap on sales tax. I had to get a refund from NC DMV. I drove the coach from TX to NC with temporary TX tags.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:36 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
We bought ours in TX and live in NC. TX put 90 day dealer tags on. We did the proper insurance and then came to NC. You will pay NC sales tax. You do not have to get an NC inspection sticker until you register it the second year. We also had to pay property tax (that is also due when you register). Beyond that, pretty easy.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #8

I can field all of these because I just did it.

1: yes, get FL temp tags.
2: yes, prepared to get raped for $1500, plus registration, plus property tax. On your coach, I would be prepared for $5k+.
3: Get a class A non CDL. I have one. Dont bother with a Class B unless you're 100% sure you will tow less than 10k pounds all the time. Personally, short of commercial license class B, I think they should just do away with it altogether.
4: Call DMV, mail in title application, sale information, payment, and you should be good to go.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

I just purchased an RV in Georgia and they gave me 90 day temporary tag and I had to pay the $1500 cap for sales tax which was sent to NC. I had added new coach to my existing policy with old RV being taken off at midnight that day.

Once back home I had to get it inspected and then go to motor vehicle and get my old tags transferred to the new RV. Since I had already paid for new plates on RV I traded I don't have to pay Property tax on it until next year. I already paid property tax on old RV. To transfer plates cost me $22.00 therefore the whole transaction cost me $1536.00 which included inspection ad new registration.
You do not need any special license to drive RV in NC that I know off. I had a CDL but no longer need it. States that require CDL license will honor your home state that doesn't. Remember a CDL license is a Commercial Driver License that you need to drive a bus or big trucks as they have air brakes.
I hope this was helpful.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 02:00 PM   #10

Tom, NC does require a class B license for any private vehicle weighing over 26,001 lbs. and a class A license if towing over 10.000 lbs trailer. It is not a hard test. Roger gave me the written and skill test, was not really hard.
Ray
Cigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:03 AM   #11
OWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,

I just purchased an RV in Georgia and they gave me 90 day temporary tag and I had to pay the $1500 cap for sales tax which was sent to NC. I had added new coach to my existing policy with old RV being taken off at midnight that day.

Once back home I had to get it inspected and then go to motor vehicle and get my old tags transferred to the new RV. Since I had already paid for new plates on RV I traded I don't have to pay Property tax on it until next year. I already paid property tax on old RV. To transfer plates cost me $22.00 therefore the whole transaction cost me $1536.00 which included inspection ad new registration.
You do not need any special license to drive RV in NC that I know off. I had a CDL but no longer need it. States that require CDL license will honor your home state that doesn't. Remember a CDL license is a Commercial Driver License that you need to drive a bus or big trucks as they have air brakes.
I hope this was helpful.
If the coach is new, do you still need to have it inspected before one can register and get plates or inspected before renewal?

Regards,
OWV, Our Wandering View
Entegra Anthem 44B
Old 01-12-2014, 06:10 AM   #12
OWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
We are/were from Indiana and purchased a MH in FL and didn't go home for four months.
We paid Florida Sales tax at 6% at time of purchase. When we registered the MH in Indiana we paid the additional 1% that Indiana requires. Everything was done via mail and the web.
You will get FL temp tags good for 30 days. They can email you a second temp tag good for an additional 30 days if needed. Two temps is the max allowed.
Check the NC DMV web site for requirements and forms. I don't think you will have any problems.
If you didn't go home for 4 months and FL will only provide temp tags for a maximum of 60 days, what did you do for the other 60 days you were on the road before returning to Indiana?

Regards,
OWV, Our Wandering View
Entegra Anthem 44B
Old 01-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Here's a link that might answer some questions.
http://www.floridavehicleregistratio....com/faq.shtml
I sold my MH to an Ohio resident. He paid the Fl sales tax to get his title but Fl. would not issue temp plates without insurance issued by a Fl insurer as I recall. I'm sure your dealer can assist with the logistics as this is done everyday.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy46 View Post
Tom, NC does require a class B license for any private vehicle weighing over 26,001 lbs. and a class A license if towing over 10.000 lbs trailer. It is not a hard test. Roger gave me the written and skill test, was not really hard.
Ray
Correct.

Ill submit: Go ahead and get the Class A.