Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2015, 07:44 PM   #1

Near Impossible to Find Ladder

I have to replace my rear outside ladder on my MH. The reason involves wife guiding me into RV shed. But that is another story.

What I have found is that the ladders that were put on 2006 Coachmen MH Class A types, only exist in salvage yards now, or they are one piece and have to be sent by truck freight. That's $150-$175 for freight alone. Then the ladder is $150.00, if you can find one.

I have found generic ladders but the curve end on top doesn't match up to the existing bolt holes in the roof, from the previous ladder. I don't want to make any more holes in the roof.

So I am looking for a 10'Lx11"W, 9 step 1' apart, with a round bottom step.

If anyone knows where you can get a replacement that would fit, and can be mailed or fedex, UPS, please let me know. Again, I don't want to pay 150-175 shipping.

Also I don't want to drill anymore holes in the back of the motorhome to mount the stand outs, or the roof to mount the top ladder. I would like to use the existing standouts and holes.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you're a member of Amazon Prime you can get it shipped free. I had a first month trial free membership, but liked it enough to keep it. The standoffs aren't placed on the ladders I saw, they can be used where ever you want to install them. I wouldn't worry about the holes in the roof, an aluminum plate or other cover of the old holes can be sealed with EternaBond.

Here's one listing on Amazon, they have more.

http://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Carl...ords=rv+ladder

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:39 PM   #3

How badly was the ladder damaged ? If on a straight section, the bad area can be cut out, and replaced with the same size tubing putting sleeves inside, and riveting the sections back together.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:56 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I backed into our house eves trough and bent the top section.

To repair it, I removed the top section that had the bend in it. I couldn't get it straight again. Heres how I fixed it.

I cut out the small section where the bend was (about two inchs long) from both sides of the ladder. This lowed the top of the ladder by two inches so I had to also cut two inches from the top of the ladder where it bolts to the roof.

Basically, this lowed the top part of the ladder by two inches.

I looked for a piece of steel or aluminum tubing that would fit inside the ladder tubes to connect them back together but couldn't find any. I did find a thick piece of PVC pip that fit perfectly inside the ladder leg tubes, so I used it.

I slide the PVC into the legs on the lower part, then slid the top part onto the tube, I used stainless bolts to hold the tubes in place.

The repaired ladder looks perfect.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 07:26 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First: My opinion of those factory installed ladders is not something I care to type.. I do not like using that kind of language.

Second.. What I did.. I ripped mine off (Easy to do I mean it would not hold me so it came off when I climbed it). and then re-sealed the roof where it attached.. On the back I had my Body man make a couple of "J" hooks.. These are giant letter Js made out of Pick Up Bumper Diamon Plate metal about 1 inch wide and oh 12-18 inches long Big enough for.

I dad had a convertable ladder. It is both a Step Ladder (about 7 foot) and an extension ladder (13-14 foot) just exactly long enough for me to safely use it to get on the roof.

I hung it on the J Hooks which are mounted just below the roof line.

Down around eye level I put a shower "Grab Bar" or Assist bar (Bath isle at Lowes/Home Depot)(

I strap the ladder down to the shower bar (Stainless steel) with both a bicycle lock, bunjee cords and a strap so it can not bounce off, though there has never been any evicdence it bounces about.

Works great.. i have a step ladder for washing the sides and doing other step ladder jobs.. I have a very good roof ladder.. That holds my 300+ with no problem at all.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:38 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie143 View Post
The reason involves wife guiding me into RV shed. But that is another story.
Oh please do share!! Do you have a video of the event!?!?!?
Old 08-21-2015, 08:03 AM   #7

Quote:
I have to replace my rear outside ladder on my MH. The reason involves wife guiding me into RV shed. But that is another story.
I have found generic ladders but the curve end on top doesn't match up to the existing bolt holes in the roof, from the previous ladder. I don't want to make any more holes in the roof.
If anyone knows where you can get a replacement that would fit, and can be mailed or fedex, UPS, please let me know. Again, I don't want to pay 150-175 shipping.
Also I don't want to drill anymore holes in the back of the motorhome to mount the stand outs, or the roof to mount the top ladder. I would like to use the existing standouts and holes.
okie143
Why not patch the existing holes and carry a telescoping ladder... which is far more useful for reaching all areas of the RV not just the roof?
Mel
'96 Safari, (no "mounted" ladder)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #8

I would't have one of those outside rv ladders on my MH. They are an accident looking for a place to happen.

I use a telescoping ladder that I store in the basement. Works well and is very versitle.
vapor3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapor3000 View Post
I would't have one of those outside rv ladders on my MH. They are an accident looking for a place to happen.

I use a telescoping ladder that I store in the basement. Works well and is very versitle.
Can you share the brand of the telescoping ladder, website where it can be purchased? My MH, with the air ride deflated, is a little under 11" from the ground to the top.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
How badly was the ladder damaged ? If on a straight section, the bad area can be cut out, and replaced with the same size tubing putting sleeves inside, and riveting the sections back together.
The wife did a great job in damaging the ladder. The damage is right on the curve part that goes to the roof, and the leg that screws down to the roof was bent into.

The only damage the accident did to the MH was pull two screw up on the ladder mount on the off. No holes, no indentations, no damage to the rear roof cap, etc.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Can you share the brand of the telescoping ladder, website where it can be purchased? My MH, with the air ride deflated, is a little under 11" from the ground to the top.
okie143
I use a this 12' 6" telescoping ladder from Home Depot: Xtend & Climb 12.5 ft. Telescoping Aluminum Extension Ladder with 225 lb. Load Capacity Type II Duty rating-770P - The Home Depot

However IMO this one would be better: Xtend & Climb 15.5 ft. Telescoping Aluminum Extension Ladder with 255 lb. Load Capacity Type I Duty Rating-785P - The Home Depot
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #12

My Itasca 31K came with a ladder but it's only rated at 225#

If you do actually climb the ladder, you're greeted with this decal on the roof.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:15 PM   #13

300 + (post#5) WOW, your one big dude, please remember......your on my side.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:43 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Check this place out. Found it on an earlier thread.

RV Factory Surplus