Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Last Oct we were overnighting in the motorhome and using a catalytic electric heater ( cold out ) and about an hour after going to bed I thought I smelled something unusual. I have difficulty with my smeller due to working in a dusty tire retread plant in my early 20s. Mostly the air felt heavy...hard to breath. Upon investigation I found that a stove burner was slightly on. We must have bumped it when we went to bed. I turned it off and got DW out leaving the door open on exit. BUT here is the scarey part...the electric heater was on all the while the propane was leaking. It just dosen't make sense, unless the catalytic heater was burning the propane off as fast as it was leaking. Do I feel lucky? HELL YAH.....I have a bed time safety check list now!!!

Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #16
We have two you boys so the knobs on the stove burners are removed and placed up high in the cupboard. This has worked for us so far.

Spinner & Gang
2000 MADP ISC350 2003 Jeep Liberty toad
"Working towards the next vacation!"
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #17
Originally Posted by honkytonkinn View Post
Switch the power off sure at an EXTRNAL switch, but DO NOT disconnect batteries, doing so posses a greater risk of creating a spark, than leaving them alone.
The batteries are better left alone, just leave everything to vent DO NOT turn on any fans etc the sparks at the brushes in the small electric motors could start a reaction IF the gas was concentrated enough.
Remember leave the batteries alone.
A properly installed battery will be in a well vented outside compartment, sealed from the inside. The gasses from that battery are no more welcome inside the coach than those from propane. That said, there is no danger in creating a spark that might ignite propane while disconnecting them?

Let's say the furnace t'stat closed while the coach was airing out?
Maybe a t'stat for a super vent?
Maybe the water pump decided it was time to cycle?
Maybe one of a hundred different things...

Do as you like. I'll go for the disconnect every time...
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #18
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I always travel with my rear roof vent cracked - it has a MAXX Air cover - as the dash air/heat seems to work better. Gets rid of stale air too.. Now I can add another reason to list.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Propane coming out of the burner orifice does not rise to your head and nose but rather it falls to the floor where your LPG Detector should be mounted.

BTW, my LPG detector will go off when we use Lysol air freshener and some other sprays.

The C0 detector is for your bedroom and that should be mounted up higher like beneath one of your storage cabinets. C0 is called the silent killer. If someday it were to occur, you won't wake up, well until you hear the screeching alarm of your C0 detector if you had one installed.

And they should NOT be fused as some posters think they should. Heck, if they were fused and the fuse had inadvertently gotten blown without your knowledge, then you would be up Sky High without a parachute to bring you down safely.

However, each owner has to make their own decision as to whether you think these devices are worth the trouble of installing them or just another way to empty your pockets. My coach came with them and they were recently replaced after over 10 years of continuous service. The C0 detector starting alerting me that it was at its end of life. Later I discovered that they are supposed to be replaced after about 5 years. I guess I got my moneys worth.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:27 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Actually if you find yourself in the same predicament you should leave the door open to extricate the gas as quickly as possible. Propane will collect along the floor and falls rather than rises, the added smell agent is what rises, or at least we were taught that in a course I took once long ago.
Denise and Dennis Dalla-Vicenza Co-pilot Mizzie
Gracie a Winnebago 29 RQ +
George a Suzuki Toad
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #21
Remove burner knobs when stove not in use and buy a big cooler to use while in transit. Problem solved.
Jcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:43 AM   #22
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
BTW, my LPG detector will go off when we use Lysol air freshener and some other sprays.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
And so it should, most aerosols that advertise as being 'safe for the environment' use either propane or butane as a propellant.
Ted 'n' Laurie, plus Jackson (aka Deputy Dog, the Parson Russell Terrier 'fur kid') and, Rylie (who crossed the Rainbow Bridge June 14, 2012).
Murf2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #23
Tiffin Owners Club
This is just one of the reasons we now have an all electric coach. We love our induction stove top, microwave and convection oven and Aquahot, plus removes just one more worry from our mind.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is a link to a clip after Hannah Storm of ESPN had a propane grill accident. This was her first TV appearance hosting the Rose Bowl Parade. She talks about what happened and how it happened. It does a good job making one aware of the heavier than air properties of propane.

Hannah Storm Hosts Rose Parade Show: ESPN Anchor Returns, Talks Propane Gas Grill Accident (VIDEO)

Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Gardian Wings earned are GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote