Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2016, 06:09 AM   #1

Need advice for repair cost!!!

We have had out 2005 American tradition in three different shops for repair of the same issue over the past two years. Twice in just the last six months.

The last shop we were at charged up almost $2000 to replace the throttle pedal accelerator (that had been replaced once before).

We got 427 miles before we had the same issue.

We asked the shop to retain the TPA that they replaced ( the new one that had less than 2500 miles on it) so we could have it tested to see if it really was bad.
When we got to the shop to pick up the motorhome they told us they had had a shop cleanup just that morning and the part had been thrown away, with the metal recycle truck having already been there.

My main question is, does anyone know if I can dispute those charges on my credit card......since now we have to take it someplace else to be repaired.....or do I have to pay again?

If so, or even if not.......does anyone know how I go about it....or what else I can do?
mjyounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2016, 08:19 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would first talk to the repair shop and see if they will step up. Btw, their shop clean up story is BS. Then talk to your credit card company and file a dispute. Do it now as there is a time limit to dispute.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:11 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Most RV's have a throttle position sensor (TPS) that attaches to the "gas" pedal to tell the engine how much fuel to meter based on input from the operator. It's just a resistive device that changes the voltage to the ECM and retails for about $75.00. There are several manufacturers that make them like Bendix and Williams so it's best to look up the part number to be sure you get the right one. It takes about 20 minutes to replace and then calibrate the TPS. Unless your pedal assembly had a mechanical issue, there would be no reason to replace the whole assembly.

Here's a link to a pretty good article about repairing a TPS on a truck. It works the same on an RV.

Chasing Problems | 10-4 Magazine
Old 10-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Spartan or Freightliner chassis under that 2005? I think I would be heading for the factory service center after 3 failed attempts to fix it. Even though its a drive-by-wire throttle system, the peddle linkage isn't that complicated.

Spartan is in Charlotte, MI, and FCCC is in Gafney, SC.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:03 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Definitely file a dispute. Most every state has an auto repair law that states if a customer asks to see the old part that was replaced the repair facility must produce the part, even if it is a warranty. The owner can then opt to take the old part and keep it only if it is not required for a warranty claim.

These laws were specifically written to avoid what may have possibly happened, shops charging for a part and labor to repair something that may not have needed repair or the simply did not perform.

This actually happened to my wife with her old Wrangler, she is a lawyer and so that shop actually apologized, refunded her money and performed the job free of charge after she threatened legal action. She had also taken pictures of the issue prior to dropping it off, and was able to show that no work had been performed.

Always be skeptical of repair shops, even if you trust them!
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjyounger View Post
We have had out 2005 American tradition in three different shops for repair of the same issue over the past two years. Twice in just the last six months.

The last shop we were at charged up almost $2000 to replace the throttle pedal accelerator (that had been replaced once before).

We got 427 miles before we had the same issue.

We asked the shop to retain the TPA that they replaced ( the new one that had less than 2500 miles on it) so we could have it tested to see if it really was bad.
When we got to the shop to pick up the motorhome they told us they had had a shop cleanup just that morning and the part had been thrown away, with the metal recycle truck having already been there.

My main question is, does anyone know if I can dispute those charges on my credit card......since now we have to take it someplace else to be repaired.....or do I have to pay again?

If so, or even if not.......does anyone know how I go about it....or what else I can do?

".....We asked the shop to retain the TPA that they replaced ( the new one that had less than 2500 miles on it) so we could have it tested to see if it really was bad.
When we got to the shop to pick up the motorhome they told us they had had a shop cleanup just that morning and the part had been thrown away, with the metal recycle truck having already been there.....
"

Now, I don't know how these things work in any other state besides CA but, in CA, it's a STATE LAW that, if the consumer ASKS for ANY parts to be retained, IN ADVANCE, prior to the replacement of such parts, or during any repair, the company and technicians HAVE TO RETAIN THOSE PARTS to be given back to the consumer, PERIOD!

If the consumer DOES NOT ASK, in advance, those parts can be disposed of during the repair.

This comes from my son who is a BAR or, Bureau of Automotive Repair Agent here in San Diego.

So, if you're really interested in pursuing this issue, the first thing I'd do is, check with YOUR state bureau of auto repair and find out if your states laws, pertaining to auto repair and, specifically "retainment of replaced parts" to see if they (any repair facility in your state) are required to abide by the laws, if they exist. This will help you determine if you can go any further with any action, of any type, against this last repair shop.

Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:33 PM   #7

In Mi. I don't believe you need to ask in advance. You are legally within your rights to inspect ANY part that they've replaced.

In the case of a situation where the part was disposed of, after you had asked for it to be retained, I'd be looking for some help as well. Starting with the credit card company.

In plain talk, that smells bad.....
Old 10-18-2016, 07:05 PM   #8

after owning both a Navstar and Freightliner with CAT engines... we found that the throttle position sensor would act up... a good friend at CAT suggested taking some contact tuner cleaner or brake clean and remove the TPS from the cab and flush out the dirt from the sensor... it would run dirt... and after installation the TPS would work fine again for 5-6 months...

We finally decided that the factory unit just wouldn't stay clean... so we just go into the habit of cleaning that sensor every few months... instead of replacing it...
Old 10-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #9

On a Ford diesel the device has 3 parallel sensors for redundancy and if one fails it generates a CEL.

If a second fails it goes into limp.

What does yours have?

Also any shop should hold all removed parts until you pick up the unit.

No parts no pay so dispute the charge at once
Old 10-18-2016, 07:38 PM   #10

Link to NC repair law info:

Auto Repair

Note the exclusion for vehicles over 26,000 LBS.

Check your local BBB to see if they provide arbitration of disputes.

Keep written notes of any discussions with the shop. Name of person(s), date and time.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:13 PM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You can tell the Service Manager to save the parts...most will. But you should also make sure that the work order is also documented that you want the parts returned. Most have a check box that they tick and should have you initial that box too. Then you have a binding document to hold them accountable with. If they toss the part, they should have to produce it or compensate you accordingly.
USA-RVNomads is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, repair