Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Need advice on replacing carpet in older RV.

Hi. I would like to replace the carpet in a 1987 Class B with something like Pergo or laminate. I've noticed some people have done so with spectacularly attractive results and I'm wondering what they used and if there were any tricks as to installation.

I would do it myself, have laid hardwood floors and Pergo type stuff, but not worked in such confined areas with so many little spaces taking off here and there. I can't help but think that some areas have to be glued.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
National RV Owners Club
To do or not to do.

What I would do myself is contact an installer, take pictures and get measerments and ask for an estmate.
Then you can deside if it worth the effort to do it your self or not.
Just a thought.

Walter5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
Once you remove some of the furniture and seats it's not as small as you might think. Take lots of pictures and measurements and transfer to graph paper. Spending plenty of time planning will save installation time. Normally, plank flooring runs away from the entrance but in a motorhome it usually looks best running front to back or diagonally.
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
The last going rate to install laminate when I got estimates 4 years ago was $2 per sq. ft. Laminate typically is easy to install with the right saws. (This is in a house).

If you look at newer units they have a small strip of carpet for the slide to at least get started on when they come in.

Good news - I would think all the angles that would need cut would be either a true 90 or 45 degree. Unlike a house. The RV has to be square to go down the road.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I put flooring in a Toyota Chinook a couple years ago, I think it took 4 or 5 days. I have photos
Ernie Ekberg, Bluebird Wanderlodge- 43
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 AM   #6
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
We went with a Pergo type flooring and used mastic to glue it down. Worked out very well in our class A.
27 ft. 1986 Gulf Stream Custom Class A, the "Snowbird".
Full timers Jay & Margie
Then there is Bindi, our min-pin who lounges in her chair.
jmugsshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #7

I have installed Allure flooring from Home Depot. Fairly easy to install and requires no underlayment. Here is a link to one of my installs. Also check out some of Ernie Ekberg posts. He has some good ideas on this type of install.
2004 Endura 6340D
2012 Chevy Captiva toad
ronjhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Bowser I installed alure ultra from Home Depot it was my first time it was easy. It comes with paper between the planks and you just use that for your pattern when you need those angle cuts. It cuts with a knife two or three swipes and just break it off no special tools needed. And it just floats no gluing down. If you can put flooring in a house you can do your RV. I looked at pictures from the guys that have done there flooring on this site wishing mine could look like there's and when you get done it will look like there's. Hope this helps.

2008 Tiffin Phaeton
360 Cummins
D M is offline   Reply With Quote