Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #1

Need Advice on Rig Purchase

My wife and I are first time buyers and are soon to be full-timer's. We are looking at 3 class A diesel pushers: a 2005 Itasca Horizon 36RDH vs a 2005 Tiffin 40QDH vs a 2006 Itasca Meridan 36G. Any advice from the experts would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Both manufacturers build good coaches. The longer you stay in one of these the more you learn to appreciate "Bigger is better". However your real choice is which one the DW likes best. Go with this and you will never regret it.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Full-time, go with the 40'.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm curious about experienced RVer's recommending to complete newbies that they sink a ton of cash (or credit) into a brand new rig.

What about starting with a used X or a Y or a Z instead and seeing just what it's all about for a couple of years... and THEN making your choice on a new rig based on your OWN experience and tastes and desires (and of course what the DW wants).

InPursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Advise

We have a 35' class A with 3 slides. If we were to go full time a 45' would be nice but 40' mim with 4 slides or full slide would be perfect. 36' looks and feels big for the first couple months then you run out of room.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I must admit, I like the DW statement - as I am the DW in our rig. Congratulations on whatever you end up purchasing and welcome to the forum!
Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
InPursuit I have no idea where you are coming from. The question was to get x, y or z. I gave him my opinion and that is what he ask for. No one said anything about cash or credit or new or used.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #8

keep the comments coming... they are appreciated... yes the tiffin is a phaeton and no I am not looking at new rigs...
Old 01-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by InPursuit View Post
I'm curious about experienced RVer's recommending to complete newbies that they sink a ton of cash (or credit) into a brand new rig.

What about starting with a used X or a Y or a Z instead and seeing just what it's all about for a couple of years... and THEN making your choice on a new rig based on your OWN experience and tastes and desires (and of course what the DW wants).
I sure see the logic in this argument but we took an even more aggressive approach and purchased a new 40'DP... half timed for two years... sold the house and have been full timing for a year and a half... and we're loving it.

Our feeling was that we were mature folks who knew our own minds (and capabilities) and were willing to take the risk involved in taking a big plunge rather than being more conservative to take the time required to purchase a smaller, used rig which we were pretty sure we wouldn't like nearly as well.

So, based on your choices listed, I'd go for the Phateon. This is coming from someone who loves his Itasca Ellipse... but people will walk through fire for their Tiffins and you'll be much happier in the 40 footer IMHO.

Best of luck to you both.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
The DW and the floor plan trump all...Buy it , Enjoy it. And bring your sense of humor no matter what you buy.
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote