Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Need advice on starting and trans. problem

I have just run into a problem that has me completely baffled and am looking for some advice on what I might look for. I have a 2001 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 foot with an ISB Cummins diesel. I started the rig and left it to warm up, when I returned to move it I noticed that the check transmission light was still on and Allison transmission pad was not lit up and the transmission would not shift into any gears. I shut the unit down and called a large service shop, the tech. told me to shut the battery sw. off and wait for about 5 min. and that might reset the transmission controller unit. I did this and now I can not get the engine to turn over or the leveling jacks to engage when I push the on button on the jack pad. The transmission pad is also still not lit up

The batteries are fully charged and just for the heck of it I used the aux. start sw. to try to start the rig by giving additional battery in case the chassis battieres might have been low. Nothing.

Any ideas as to what I might be looking for???

Bob

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2010, 12:46 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think you could have a blown fuse. Tbh, don't know much about the system you have, but if you have battery power but the engine will no longer start or turnover then it could be the starter, the wiring, the ignition switch or an interlock. It could be that the interlock switch is out of adjustment. That would inhibit starting and could also make it so you can't shift.

I don't think you can do that part yourself but I am not sure about that either.

Good luck and post back with what it actually was so it can help others!

Thanks,
Talons

Old 07-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks

I checked all the fuses and they all check OK. I now have an alarm that is going off all the time even with the key in the off position; the only way to silence it is to turn the battery switch off for the chassis. I have given up on this one. I can normally correct all the issues that I come across but I donít have the right test equipment for this.

Problem is now I have to have a service person come to the house and hopefully he can find the problem and we can it started and also get the trans engaged. To have a wrecker come and get it would be a real challenge because of the parking area and getting one in there. I still believe that it is an interface safety switch that is causing the problem; I will let you know what happens.

Bob
Old 07-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bob,

It sounds like the 'ALARM' is for the leveling jacks. Mine went off. I could get the engine started, but when I went to engage the TRANSMISSION, the warning alarm went off. And if the system 'thinks' they are down, then they are down. I had to disconnect the system for that particular ride home. And yes, I did have a leaky jack which was why my reservoir got lower than it should have.

Check the fluid level in the hydraulic jack reservoir. If it is LOW, fill it, but be careful to make sure that you don't overfill it. If the jacks 'visually' look 'retracted', then fill to the fill line if not full. After that, I would deploy the jacks and retract them again. If you have power to do that, that is. Mine are electric and yours should be too.

The way most of the jack systems works is that when the fluid gets to a certain level in reservoir the safety interlock disengages. This interlock, probably causes the alarm and the transmission from engaging on your motorhome. Mine is a LOT older than yours so the interlocks didn't inhibit me from starting the engine or engaging the transmission, but man that alarm horn was obnoxious.

The interlocks should not stop the engine from starting, but it might.

Also, if the slides are out the transmission should NOT engage either.

When this happened to me, the JACKS were confirmed to be in the retracted position with a visual inspection and a measuring tape. They were UP, but the system didn't 'think' so.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Talons
Old 07-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #5

My transmission problem was near the battery. A small wire led from the positive terminal to a fuse holder, then continued on from there. The fuse was good, but about two feet away from the battery, a butt splice had been used on the wire. The ends inside the splice had corroded. First time meant a tow of 100 plus miles to an Allison shop. Second time was in my yard, fixed by finally soldering the connection, which I wrongly assumed Allison would have done. That wire supplies power to the "brain" of the transmission near the shift pad. Good luck, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ok here is to days update.

Had Alliance Coach here today for a service call to see if they could get the transmission to engage but no luck. $363.80 later I still have the same problem and am waiting for the tow truck to pick it up and take it to the shop, this one is starting concern me as the shop rates are $100.00 an hour and it really is a hunt and find situation. At least I donít feel too bad about not being able to come up with the problem when they could not find it.

Iíll keep you posted on what they find. The coach should be picked up Tuesday.

Bob
Old 07-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good luck!

Talons
Old 07-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
7-21 update

The coach was picked up on Tuesday and dropped off at Alliance Coach in Wildwood FL. Another $650.00 for the towing, approx. 85 miles round trip for the wrecker. Alliance called and said that the Allison ECM was bad and needs to be replaced, estimate cost $2800.00 for the unit plus labor with a 5 day delivery on the part. Could have it overnight for an extra $60.00/ $70.00. Told them ground was OK.

So, it appears that if your coach ever has the check transmission light staying on and the engine will not turn over, one place to check first before a lot of time is spent in hunt and find would be to check the Allison ECM.

Also, if you ever in Florida around the Ocala / Wildwood area and need a tow truck I can highly recommend Jeff Revis Wrecker Service, phone 352-748-8868. This company treats your equipment like it was theirs and the employees are professional and really know what they are doing, their equipment is also first class and well maintained. Hope you never need this service but if you do it is nice to have some idea of who to call. By the way, they also have other locations in Florida that they will refer you to if that one is closer to your location.

Iíll let you know the final outcome when I have the coach back
Old 07-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #9

Tell them you want the old Allison ECM back. There are companies that rebuild them for the fraction of the cost of a new one. You can have it rebuilt and carry it for a spare or sell it.

I assume you don't have ERS since you paid for the tow.

Good luck.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:57 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Damn! That was pricey!

Oh well!

Talons
Old 07-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I did tell them that I want to old ECM back and they said it would not be a problem unless there is a core charge on it. The towing was pricy but not sure if it was out of line with the norm as I have nothing to judge it against. I was satisfied and comfortable with the work and I have insurance coverage that will cover it so it is not too bad.

I also bought a warranty policy through National Warranty of Florida when I purchased the coach and this is all covered under the extended warranty policy. No problem at all with them, Alliance called and handled it for us and they received the approval right away. I have read about some issues with these warranty policies and was concerned so I was real happy when I got the call that it was covered with no problems.

Hope that when I pick it up next week nothing has changed from what I have been told.

Bob