Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #1
Need checklist

I am picking up my motorhome shortly. Is there a place I can go that has a checklist for things needed for our first trip so I wont forget anything.

bshan0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'm sure there are checklists available online, but I'd rather rely on my own resources. Mentally go through a set up of the RV in a campsite. Electrical hook up -- 50 amp? dogleg to convert to 30 amp, 30 amp to 15 amp converter? Water hookup, drinking water safe hose, pressure regulator, extra hose gaskets. Sewer hookup, box of rubber gloves, hose to wash and rinse sewer hook up. Campground TV cable? long section of cable to connect between RV and cable drop.

Packing interior, think of clothes, bedding, dishes, cookware, utensils, personal hygiene, cleaning supplies, etc.

It's a given you won't have all that you need, make a list for next outing or check out local Walmart. Campground stores are very expensive for most items, drive to stores off campground.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
#1: Sense of humor
#2: Wallet
#3: Everything else that you think is relevant
#4: More stuff that you don't think is relevant, but that ultimately will be (see #2).

Enjoy your first RV Adventure! I can't begin to create a real list for you because it's just way too individualized based on your specifics, like where you are going, what you already own, what your RV comes equipped with, what you plan to buy, what you'll do when you get there, etc.

Nevertheless, my above list really does apply to practically all scenarios.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G, Cummins ISL,Freightliner Chassis, Allison 3000.
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad w/ Blue Ox Aventa tow bar and M&G Braking System
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #4
You have a smart phone?

RV Check list on Google App store

Some of the default lists in this app are fairly thorough.
2000 Newmar Dutch Star 3858
1990 Fleetwood Bounder 31K
BuckyBounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's more than you'll ever need about checklists but as Bob points out- you'll want to make a hybrid of your own containing some items from each type of list and then add your own depending on the type of rig you have and what you consider important. Things that I don't include on departure and arrival checklists are maint items...like checking oil, generator, tires, etc. Those things are maintenance items.

RV Checklists
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 12:41 PM   #6
I use the example of airline pilots. Their checklist is divided into sections. They can't simply pull to the side of the road (sky) if something is forgotten . . . but neither can we when we enter a freeway, especially entering crowded, fast moving traffic. So I use a pre-departure checklist; interior and exterior. Yes, I've revised it a few times. We all know the obvious things: sewer, water, electrical disconnect, antenna down, levelers up, clearances, tow car connections, supplemental brake test. Some people have more items but I most often plan to depart with a planned stop perhaps a quarter mile or mile at which time I do a walk around the rig to re-check toad, connections, tires, feel for hot brakes with my hand to sense radiated heat, dripping leaks of any kind. I prefer driving without worrying about things left undone. Oh, yeah, make sure your pets and passengers are all on board too.
Ronald73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:12 AM   #7
Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I parked it in my driveway for a week, and lived in it there. You'll quickly realize a number of things you wish you had.

That'll get you about 95% of the way there, the rest will only come after you have stayed at a number of different campgrounds which have unique individual challenges.
DaveB, Raleigh, NC
2015 Tiffin RED 33AA
2014 Honda CRV
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:04 AM   #8
The driveway (when long enough) is a good test. For our "shake down" trip we went to an RV park about 2 miles away. We didn't want to be far from home while we were trying to learn how our rig worked. It was our second motorhome and each one has its own "personality". Eleven years later and we're still learning.
Ronald73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:41 AM   #9
Ronald73 have to share a rest stop experience we had. Traveling with 3 dogs, wife uses facilities and I walk the dogs, she comes back and dogs are still wandering around off leash on outer edge of rest stop. I go to buy a couple drinks, come back loaded up and head down the road. About 10 miles down the road she looks around and screams, where's Bubba. Not in the RV. Next U turn and headed back to rest stop. Wife calls 911 looking for emergency # for rest stop. 911 actually jumps in and helps with getting us connected. Wife visualizes Bubba running down the interstate chasing us. Get back to rest stop and Bubba has been turned into visitor center and is laying under someones desk asleep after having been fed a huge bowl of food. Visitor center people were telling us they always keep pet food around because they have animals dumped with them all the time. Good lesson for us to count heads before leaving a stop. Left them a nice donation for food and thanked them for being good animal caretakers.
2016 Winnebago View 25J
Subaru Crosstrek toad
Sanibelview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:13 PM   #10
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Need checklist

Originally Posted by Ronald73 View Post
I use the example of airline pilots. Their checklist is divided into sections. They can't simply pull to the side of the road ........ So I use a pre-departure checklist..... Yes, I've revised it a few times. We all know the obvious things:..........

I agree, Ron. I use an app someone recommended, written by a retired IT guy named Dan Sentaro, called "RV Checklist". Not very original, but you can find it in the Apple App Store, free. It has some preloaded lists, which I generally find too wordy, but it is very easy to make your own custom lists. I prefer a simple one or two word Challenge-Response setup, as is common in aviation (and elsewhere). Be sure the list is set up as a CHECK list rather than a DO list.
I've created segmented lists that work well after some revision, though some think they're too long. My departure list comprises 69 items in six categories.
When you structure a checklist, you'll always revise to the way you do things, and to make sure the list isn't taking you in circles, requiring you to duplicate items and waste effort. Example: at some point there'll be an item like "basement doors secure". If I place this item too early in the process I may have to reopen a door to stow wheel chocks, stow jack pads, stow the pull rod I used to retrieve the jack pads, get out the umbilical cord to hook up the toad, and get out that pull rod again to retrieve something else I just noticed under the coach. See the point?
The simple fact is that if a checklist is cumbersome or inefficient you will stop using it after a while, simply because it becomes a pita. I find this RV Checklist very easy to set up, and useful to have around.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 12:22 PM   #11
Originally Posted by bshan0711 View Post
I am picking up my motorhome shortly. Is there a place I can go that has a checklist for things needed for our first trip so I wont forget anything.
There are generic CLs on line.

It would really, really, really, really help your cause if you added the year, make and model of your RV in your signature.........

Someone just might....just might have a checklist that they prepared and would share.....

I have one for a 2014 Winnebago View 24 G.

Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote