Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2010, 07:38 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
need driving lessons

I am about to make an offer on my first RV ever....a class A motor Home...
I am in South Florida and does anyone know who can give me a driving lesson? thank you, allen

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2010, 07:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lazydays near Tampa did offer driver training at one time. Especially for new buyers. Don't know their policy now.

Not that difficult. Best advice I can give is take your time, don't get excited and have someone watch when backing into tight spaces.

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:03 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
thank you

thank you ...i am aware of LazyDays but only thought they gave lessons to their customers....i will check them out....also hoping to find someone in the area the might give lessons....LazyDays is not that far for me..only about 2 1/2 to 3 hours drive if they give lessons to "outsiders"...thanks again, allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Lazydays near Tampa did offer driver training at one time. Especially for new buyers. Don't know their policy now.

Not that difficult. Best advice I can give is take your time, don't get excited and have someone watch when backing into tight spaces.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
In our area, Maryland, there are several companies who give driving lessons connected with obtaining a CDL as Maryland requires one. Don't know the cost though.
dmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting, I did a Google for “RV driver lessens FL” and came up with a few with even your posting here. Might give that a try and see what you can come up with that might fit your needs.

Marty
Old 03-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #6

Here's one in Ocala, FL
Old 03-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Please check to see that you have the proper license from your DMV for the type coach you will be driving in your State. Many driving schools/instructors will not contract if the license is not appropriate.

Good luck
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My better half used the link Mandys Man referred to. Dick was a great and patience instructor, i even learned a few items. well worth the $$$$
majfrizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
thank you all for your assistance....I am hoping to find someone close in south florida...but the Ocala location if they have openings might work...would prefer to save time because of my schedule...and locate someone close to me....a private individual or school...I think the school certifications qualify for insurance discounts as well...Thanks again for all your help, allen
Old 03-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Lazy Days gives free lessons to customers and charge a nominal fee for non-customers. I think it is probably a good class. They have an online video that is very helpful.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
It is far better to learn from a professional instructor than an Individual. Individuals will share their particular knowledge and can leave you with some of their bad habits.

I learned how to ride a motorcycle from a friend. When I took the MC Safe Driving Class, I first had to un-learn what he had taught me. The professional course has probably saved my life and/or limbs many times.

By the way, the hardest thing for me to overcome was the rifle/shotgun syndrome. With a rifle, you aim precisely at a target, with a shotgun, you point in the general direction. Any hunter will tell you if you aim right at a flying duck, you will most likely miss.

In the MH, I wanted to look straight down to try to keep it between the lines. After I learned to look out further and point it naturally in the direction of the road, it was a lot easier to stay in my lane. It also allowed me to stop white-knuckling the steering wheel.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:23 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
"It's like driving a really big Pinto"...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

You can take most of the Lazydays driving course online via video at Better RVing.

If you want to take the actual class, which includes some hands-on driving, ask a salesman at Lazydays if they can get you in as a courtesy. If seats are available, you can probably get in.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
thank you everyone

thanks for all your help....makes me feel a lot more comfortable knowing you are all there to help...thanks, allen