RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2018, 03:05 PM   #1

Need help finding replacement Kwikee series 32 linkage for pre-1999 steps

I need to replace the linkage on my Kwikee series 32 steps and I'm hitting a dead end finding the part I need. I bought a replacement kit #909534000, but the shaft that goes into the powered gear is much too large ~50mm compared to the bad part ~30mm.

I did notice on some listings that they say that the part will not work with steps built before 1999. My Class-A is a 1998. I bought one that did not have that disclaimer, wishful thinking I guess.

Does anyone sell the linkage for the pre-1999 series 32 steps? If not, what are my options for using my existing steps with a new motor/linkage setup?

This photo shows what I bought, that does not fit. I've circled the shaft that's too large.

Thanks for any help,

BrianClick image for larger version

Name:	series32_linkage.png
Views:	21
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	211210

bwilless is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2018, 05:02 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
It may be easier to just replace the 1998 step system with a new one.

Check ETrailer site and input what you year and make is your motorhome and see what comes up.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...CABEgJcqvD_BwE

IggyTech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:04 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Or look at these pictures and see if you can see your part.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Kwik...w=1920&bih=869
Old 07-16-2018, 05:07 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is a IRV2 thread someone started with the same problem
He found the part at Camping World

Kwikee Step Linkage broken 98 Discovery
Old 07-17-2018, 06:54 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I think this is what you need. I just replaced my motor and my 2000 Dynasty took a pre IMGL motor.

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Kwike.../dp/B002SSEUUI
Old 07-17-2018, 09:14 AM   #6

Think I found what I need

After doing some more searching I found an arm/gearbox combo that is just slightly more expensive than just the incorrect arm that I bought/returned.

This is what I'm going to order today: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

One of the reviewers looks like he used it on a pre-1998 motor home.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll post up my results.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:00 PM   #7

Just replaced mine. Call Kwikee and they will send the part. Mine is the old style with the square shaft end. It cost about $75 and I had it in 2 days. All I really needed was the arm but it comes as a kit. You just pry the arm off, no need to dissasemble if you are only replacing the arm.
Evidently the newer style uses plastic gears as mine were all metal. Glad I called them and didn't change out the gear box for somthing inferrior.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:38 PM   #8

Problem solved

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I ended up buying a new gear box with linkage. I'm happy with the unit, it had metal gears as far as I could tell.

This is the unit I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's the same part number as the one I posted before, only cheaper. The original one has a pretty good user review that basically reviews how to install the unit including pictures. https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...SIN=B005G21IQC

I did have a few fumbles (listed below) in case I can save anyone the frustrations I had.

• Like the reviewer, I had to use the motor-->GearBox gear from my original setup, but it worked just fine.
  • There are two washers included with the kit that I did not use.
  • The bolts listed in the review were a tad too long. I would go with M6 x 1.0 x 35mm.
  • When mounting the new unit to the step frame, the mounting bolts are hanging in the holes and if you push them up they will disappear into the hole. I had to loosen the whole step frame to get my hand behind it to push them back into the holes.
  • I had a hard time getting the linkage attached to the step. I had the linkage arm in the full open position and I could not get the linkage to align with the step connection. When you install the motor onto the gear box, go full open then back it off just an inch or two. I ended up pulling the motor loose and doing just that. I guess I could have run the motor and disconnected the wire, but I was working solo.
Overall, it was an easy repair.

Tags
ace, kwikee, need help, replace, replacement, steps