Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #1

I have a 36G Journey, 2004 model with HWH hydraulic levellers. Today I found out that the round "pad" on the bottom of the leveller shaft had come off; it is ordinarily held on the shaft with two springs; one spring now remains attached. The leveller was extended when I noticed the pad was hanging to one side (I probably dragged the pad off the shaft when I moved the coach (I thought they were up!)). I did get the shaft back up, using 2x4 lumber as a lever; now remains the job of replacing the one spring to balance the other spring. I know that the spring, which has a lot of tension on it, has to be pulled back down and I just don't know the best was to go about extending the spring. Any suggestions?

Wendell
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
I read a post somwhere here the other day about a guy who replaced a spring. He took the spring completely off, and tied it to a tree and the other end to the bumpoer of his car and stretched it out. Then took wooden clothes pins and slipped them between the loops of the springs keeping it extended. That made it long enough to slide back onto the leveler. Then extended the leveler, the wooden pins fell out. Think about it......sound like a plan!
Old 02-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Brake spring pliers will do the job. Wear eye protection and gloves and make sure placement of the tool won't slip when you apply the downward pressure.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Wendell,
I've tried a couple of methods to replace jack springs. Both work, it comes down to personal preference and what tools are available for you to use.

1. With the jack fully retracted and using a piece of wood and a long bar, I've been able to tilt the pad enough to attach the new spring.

2. With the jack partially extended and using the same piece of wood and bar in #1, I have been able to place wedges between the coils of the attached spring (7 wedges). When the jack is fully retracted, tilting the pad to attach the spring is easier than in #1. However, getting the wedges inbetween the spring coils can be a bit of a PITA.

I agree with the previous post that gloves and eye protection are required.

I've done this both of the above mentioned methods several times, with success.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #5

Fossilhog (if that is your real name!)

That is simply ingenious! I am so glad you responded. I was having visions of trying to use an iron pole and then trying to lever the spring to an extended position, then trying (really trying) to hook it in the little hole in the pad. I could see plenty of opportunity to fail in that effort.

I'll give it a try when the wind stops blowing here in Kentucky (first the hurricane, then the ice storm, and now the heavy winds)

Many thanks.

Wendell
Old 02-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #6

Wow! Three responses in a short time! These ideas are really great. Nice to know that there are people out there who will try to help.

Wendell
Old 02-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #7

I had one come off one time. I was putting it down on a block and the pad slipped off of the stalk. I was struggling with it and a fellow was sitting in a lounge at another campsite watching me struggle. He finally came over and asked if I needed some help. At this point I was totally drained, so I weakly said, "Sure."

He crawled under the coach and grabbed the pad, pulled it down and put it back on the end of the stalk. Nothing to it!

In talking to him I learned that he was a farmer. I decided at that time to NEVER mess with a farmer!
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:15 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
AA4WP,

Go here to install a spring. One of our forum members, Tom N, has an easy way to install your springs. Cut up and use some paint stirer sticks, for spacers ---

Good luck,
Old 02-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #9

I replaced the springs on my front jacks by using a four foot length of rebar as a pry bar.
It when very easily and took about five minutes. The rebar was small enough to fit into the loop at the lower end of the spring and using a part of the frame as the lever point it was easy. You could pad the end of the rebar if you cared to so as not to scratch the frame.

Pete
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote