Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #15

As it turns out I do not need to modify the muffler. I am pleasantly surprised. This thing is very quiet. My deciameter measured it 49 db. About the same level as an electric air compressor. The motor runs really well too. But I think I will get rid of the factory spark plug and replace it with an autolite 65 to make sure it runs good. I would recommend using surge protection. The voltage tends to jump around a bit from 117 volts to 122 vac. So a good power line conditioner is a must. Other than that I am happy with my new genny. It and my honda ex 6540 Will keep me happy all winter in the AZ desert.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2015, 07:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRENCH18 View Post
Becareful of exhaust back pressure on a 2 stroke motor,can affect how it runs.Hope it helps,also good luck because i have never had good luck with any eletric item i have purchased from harbor freight.
Actually it depends on what your buying. I have bought all my tools from hf. And have had excellent quality. These tools seem to be as good as craftmen or other good brands. And I am big on mechanics. If it needs fixing I'm the guy who gets it running. Never had a tool break I bought from HF yet.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:11 PM   #17

I forgot to tell you guys. It started on the first pull. I was impressed. I think HF gets a lot of surplus merchandise. Some of it is very excellent quality that's worth a lot more. But because it is surplus some folks like me luck out on a good deal. It least this time I think I did anyway.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:34 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There is one thing you have to be careful about and may not have experienced it yet. That little generator sounds like a good deal and if it is genuinely putting out only 49db's, that's great, less than Honda. What you haven't discussed is how you're getting around charging your batteries. With any kind of a load on it and your battery charger kicks on, I'm thinking it will overload that little genny. My daughter invited some friends to boondock with us for the first time. Both my daughters have 2000 watt Hondas. Their friend had a little 1000 watt Kawasaki. The minute their charger kicked on, it fried the converter/charger. Just something to check!

Two months ago, Costco was selling the Yamaha 2000 inverter/generator marketed in red with another name for about $500.00. It was a great deal.

I do buy some tools at Harbor Freight, like large sockets that I only need to use occasionally, gloves, lock nut packs etc, but I have to disagree about their electrically powered and air tools. They are about as cheap as you can get. Their air tools all require twice the air a quality tool uses and their electrically powered tools don't have much of a life, power or features. They're good for occasional use, but not as a substitute for anyone using them regularly.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:27 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
Actually it depends on what your buying. I have bought all my tools from hf. And have had excellent quality. These tools seem to be as good as craftmen or other good brands. And I am big on mechanics. If it needs fixing I'm the guy who gets it running. Never had a tool break I bought from HF yet.
I'm sorry but there is NO way that HF is anywhere as good as craftsman. I don't buy from there except big socks wrenches and a tool box. A friend of mine bought a bunch of tools and some were broken in the box. I'm a real PRO for over 30 years and I can say HF SUCKS.
WRENCH18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
There is one thing you have to be careful about and may not have experienced it yet. That little generator sounds like a good deal and if it is genuinely putting out only 49db's, that's great, less than Honda. What you haven't discussed is how you're getting around charging your batteries. With any kind of a load on it and your battery charger kicks on, I'm thinking it will overload that little genny. My daughter invited some friends to boondock with us for the first time. Both my daughters have 2000 watt Hondas. Their friend had a little 1000 watt Kawasaki. The minute their charger kicked on, it fried the converter/charger. Just something to check!

Two months ago, Costco was selling the Yamaha 2000 inverter/generator marketed in red with another name for about $500.00. It was a great deal.

I do buy some tools at Harbor Freight, like large sockets that I only need to use occasionally, gloves, lock nut packs etc, but I have to disagree about their electrically powered and air tools. They are about as cheap as you can get. Their air tools all require twice the air a quality tool uses and their electrically powered tools don't have much of a life, power or features. They're good for occasional use, but not as a substitute for anyone using them regularly.
My coach only has one battery. I don't really use it either. The batteries are a very limited power source. The genny will keep kicking out a bountiful supply of power as long as I keep the gas and oil full. I have a lot of sensitive electronics so I plug a line conditioner into the generator and the motorhome into the line conditioner. That way my entire electrical system in the rv is surge protected. It also has an in line battery if the genny every runs out of gas the battery will keep power coming until I resupply the genny with gas and get her restarted. But I will tell you one thing. That 2 cycle motor oil sure does stink. Takes a week just to air the gas out. LOL!!!
Old 08-18-2015, 02:38 PM   #21

If nothing else I will be running a full load test on the genny before my annual trip to Arizona this winter. So I can see just how much power the generator runs before the breaker switch trips. I will also be taking my Honda genny as a backup.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:07 PM   #22

Turns out I just got rid of my Honda. Gave it back to the guy who sold it to me. It started giving me trouble and I could never really get it to run right. Still got my storm cat generator from harbor freight tools. It runs so well I think I might buy a second one for a back up. HF sent me more coupons. So I can another one for $99 buck!!! Can't beat the quality for the price. Even if you only get a few hundred hours out of it, it has already paid for itself.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
I forgot to tell you guys.
Just who is it you think you are talking to?
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
Just who is it you think you are talking to?
???😯 I get it you must be a big Honda fan. Ok sorry about that. I will be honest I am not influenced so much by name brands as I am good quality. The important thing about the HF generator is to remember it requires a 50:1 gas oil mix. You also have to choke it, turn the power switch on, and make sure the fuel valve is open before starting. Otherwise, no worky. It's called the old fashioned rules of mechanics.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRENCH18 View Post
I'm sorry but there is NO way that HF is anywhere as good as craftsman. I don't buy from there except big socks wrenches and a tool box. A friend of mine bought a bunch of tools and some were broken in the box. I'm a real PRO for over 30 years and I can say HF SUCKS.
It is true that harbor freight is called the poor mans Home Depot. I have been happy with though. But maybe it's just my streak of luck.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:17 PM   #26

I found the Tripp Lite NC 1000 for a little over $100 bucks at Home Depot. This kind of UPS/surge protector is designed just for use with generators like the storm cat generator. I have found it to work quite well. No surges just clean power through the output. A bit pricey but the Tripp Lite is well worth it for anyone considering going this route.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:31 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I agree with WA8YXM Post # 13.
You are better off to break down and buy the Honda EU2000. My whole family has them now, mainly for use at our hunting camp, but they come in handy for power outages etc at home.
With the EUs you get 'clean' power that will allow you to run electronics. Even a computer or TV.
A few years ago I did buy one of those HF ones (on sale for $79) and left it at our camp for a backup. Used it once and was very disappointed. I sold it cheap right away as I didn't want anyone to use it at camp and ruin something.

Be very careful what you run with that. My advice is that you talk to someone who understands electric and electronics and find out what 'CLEAN' power means before you ruin something that will cost you $XXXXs.

Tags
generator, need help