Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #1

Need help with generator

I just bought a new generator. I wanted an external generator that was small and portable. My motorhome doesn't take a lot of electricity to run. All the interior lights are LED. And I have a turbo cool rv rooftop swamp cooler rather than a regular AC unit. So can probably run my entire motorhome on less than 200 watts. I have ran the rv off of a APC brand ups/surge protection station for over an hour several times with no trouble. My microwave is the most powerful thing in the rv about 500 watts. Anyway so I went to harbor freight tools and bought one of those storm cat 900 watt portable generators with the 63 cc 2 stroke gas motor. It is regularly almost $200.00. I had a coupon so I got it for $99.00 on special. Has really good reviews so I wanted to give the el cheapo a try. Surprisingly it works great and is a well built generator for the price. Pretty economical too. I can get almost 8 hours of run time out of a single gallon of gas. I keep my APC between the rv and generator and there has been no problems with power surges. It will run for hours, day or months on end with no trouble, as long as you keep the right fuel mixture in it and don't let it run out of gas. But the only problem is it is very noisy about 89 db. So my question is. Is there a muffler kit available to quiet this thing down??? Or I know people sometimes make a generator box to damper the noise that you put the generator in. Has anyone here ever done this? Other than the noise I am very happy for the price I paid. So I welcome any suggestions that might damper the noise. Thank you
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 06:34 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Since most of the noise comes from the exhaust you may try installing an extension that points straight up, possibly similar to a Venturi type exhaust to disperse the fumes also.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:25 PM   #3

You mean an exhaust pipe like the kind on the diesel generator? I have used the industrial generators like the kind you can rent from a construction company. They all have vertical exhaust pipes and much quieter than my storm cat
Old 08-11-2015, 08:06 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I used a venture type exhaust on a gas generator in my class C. It was more for getting the fumes distributed but it did also help the noise.

Here is a link to one

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-44461-Ge...aust+extension

We use one like this on our diesel exhaust in areas with minimal ventilation.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:08 PM   #5

You need a small motorcycle muffler. If it can quiet them down, it should quiet down that little 2 stroke screamer you got there.

89 db's is close to chainsaw loud. That level become dangerous to the ear after 4 hours.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:01 PM   #6

Is saw the same one and harbor freight told me it didn't have enough power to run a skill saw.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Is saw the same one and harbor freight told me it didn't have enough power to run a skill saw.
700 watts constant output is almost 6 amps. Maybe a small skill saw, cutting thin wood.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
If you have a huge 40 foot double or triple slide out motorhome withh double AC units, this genny won't work for you. You need something more like a Honda. But if you have a small 24 foot rv like me with the rv style swamp cooler this is a great option and it does verywell. As I mentioned on the header my interior lights are all LED. So my microwave is the most power consumption appliance in my rv. My fridge is only 2.4 amps so the genny doesn't even notice when I turn it on. Some people do not take good care of these so they go out fast if they are abused. But if you take good care of it it will get you through the winter at least. I have friends with one who have put 900 hours on it and still running strong. They dry camp in their truck and camper near Yuma in the winter. These are a good bargain. But remember you have to keep the right gas/oil mix in them all the time, don't let it run out of gas, and keep it clean and don't leave it out in the rain , it will rust and use a surge protector. Don't ever plug the rv straight into the generator. I think you would be surprised. Good things can come in small packages.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You need a small motorcycle muffler. If it can quiet them down, it should quiet down that little 2 stroke screamer you got there.

89 db's is close to chainsaw loud. That level become dangerous to the ear after 4 hours.
Most of the people I know who have one replaced the muffler and the cheap China spark plug that comes with it for a better quality. My best kept secret is I where ear plugs at night. So with the doors and Windows closed I never hear it. The motorhome is well insulated. I have slept at night plugged into an industrial diesel generator before. Never kept me awake for a minute.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:10 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Becareful of exhaust back pressure on a 2 stroke motor,can affect how it runs.Hope it helps,also good luck because i have never had good luck with any eletric item i have purchased from harbor freight.
WRENCH18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:36 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cimplexsound View Post
Never kept me awake for a minute.
But what about your neighbors being kept awake?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:04 PM   #12

Check this one out, I'm sure you can modify it so you can disassemble it for storage and travel.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:38 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You bought a 2-stroke engine and thought it would be QUIET.!!!!.

You really need to break down and get an inverter generator.

Now: Let's start with what you have Try it out to see if it puts out the power you need.. IF it does.. then get a Honad EU-1000i.. Or Yahama EF 1000i or 1200i (Not sure if they still make the 1200) If the 900 watt screamer is not up to the task go with the 2000 model Honda or Yahama.

You can also get the Harbor Freight model inverter unit.. Going to be aroudn 10x what you paid for the ear buster, but this I can tell you

In 2006 (I think) At the Quartsite Rally I stopped at teh Yahama display

A 1200 at idle.. I could feel the exhaust so I knew it was running but I could not hear it. A 2400 at idle I could just hear, my companion on that trip could not hear it (I have "Trained" hearing, 25 years as a police dispatcher and nearly 50 as a ham radio operator we are used to picking out sounds that are UNDER the noise floor) Loaded 1/2 the 2400 we all could hear but we did not have to raise our voice. FULL LOAD we had to raise our voice.

Champion, Kipor (Kipor's have the same DB rating as Honda or close to it but the quality of the noise means it is "Louder" and yes, I know the reason.. Just a bit beyond what I wish to type here (like a book chapter more, I studied that book in college).

And many other inverter jobs out there half the price of a Honda,, Might just work well for you.

Advantage Honda/Yahama The better brands if you get a 2,000 class you can also get a 2nd one. Hook them together with a parallel kit and you now have a 4000 class.. That.. Is enough to power essential systems (Furnace, Fridge, Freezer, Microwave and TV/RADIO, yes that is an essential service) in your house when (not if) the power company lets you down. The 2000 alone might do Furnace and Fridge if that's all you need.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:10 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Well, I am not going to say you are stupid or try to convince you I know more than anyone else on any topic.

No doubt the Honda's are class, but if you don't have a grand to spend...

That sound box looks interesting, a untested muffler may be risky. Yoo may need to live with the noise and apoligise to your neighbors (I did for a few months when an Onan died several years ago). A fifty or one hundred foot foot 12 or 10 gauge extension cord may be a big help. Not really cheap, but not a grand, either.

Hope you find a workable solution.
tbbg II is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, need help