Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #1

Need help with inverter

I have a 2006 discovery, I have a 311 receiver for dish network and If I run It when I'm pluged In It works good, but if I run It using the inverter It makes a low busing sound and It powers off on Its own after a couple of minutes and It cames back on, the inverter works good enough to run the microwave so I don't get what could be, minding you If I run It when I'm pluged In or runing of the generator It works good, any Ideas what could be?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ninos, it sounds like it doesn't like your modified sine wave inverter. They can sometimes be a problem with electronics. That's why a lot of new coaches are going to sine wave inverters.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #3

Can you post the specifics of your inverter? Make, model...

Modified sine wave (lower cost) vs true/pure sine wave (top of line) inverter sounds like the ticket.

Every appliance reacts differently to a modified wave. Some residential refers used in some rigs self-destructed on modified wave inverters. Electronics are especially vulnerable especially with the induced line noise.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #4

thanks guys I will post the info about the inverter tomorrow
Old 12-01-2009, 08:13 AM   #5

HI, guys don't know If this is the info that you guys asked for It but this Is what I found Xantrex freedom 458, Its the green box by the 50amp plug on the compartment on the driver side towards the back.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #6

HI, guys don't know If this is the info that you guys asked for It but this Is what I found Xantrex freedom 458, Its the green box by the 50amp plug on the compartment on the driver side towards the back.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:23 AM   #7

It's a modified sine wave. Here's the Xantrex link. Sometimes, these can cause all sorts of "issues" with electronics and electrical appliances. Generally, however, most things will work fine with these units, but sometimes some appliances don't like them..... Well, it looks like you got a sometimes....

You might try plugging a small UPS in between the offending device and the wall, it might help and is cheaper than a new Pure Sine inverter.

Xantrex Technology Inc. - Recreational Vehicles - Freedom 458 Inverter/Charger - Product Information
Freedom 458 Inverter/ChargerWith filtered modified sine wave output, Freedom inverter/chargers run virtually anything, from electrical equipment to appliances and electronics in your RV.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A post I often make says that Modified sine wave inverters may cause several problems.... And one of those is malfuntion of sat-receivers.

Replace your MSW inverter with a good clean TSW unit (pure sine wave or true sine wave) and your problem will go away

NOTE: For many years I thought that MSW inverters were more efficient at converting DC to AC.. Then, this last summer, I actually did the research

I compared two nearly identical Xantrex products.. One TSW one MSW

The best efficency on the MSW was 90 percent

The best on the TSW was 89-90 percent

Not much different.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #9

thank you all for the help, I don't feel like spending the money on a new unit I might try the ups but could you guys tell me what that is?
Old 12-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #10

UPS is Uninterrupable Power Supply, basically a miniature battery and an (yet another typically MSW) inverter. Like you would use on a PC at home.

Borrow a couple different models from buddies first and see if it'll do anything for you. Probably not, but worth a try. UPSs are all wired differently, most probably just shunt the incoming line to the output meaning their impact is zero under normal conditions, but maybe another model will put some circuitry in-between your sat and your Xantrex and that might just be enough to keep your sat on line.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #11

If you have another receiver, try it. Could be that a different one would work and you could just swap the two. Only takes one piece of sensitive electronics to foul it up.