Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 10:50 PM   #1

Need help with selling used rv

I'm selling a 1996 Aerbus that's in good shape. (Already have it's replacement). My dilemma is it has 8 year old tires. Should I sell it as-is and negotiate the tires or get a new set and list them in my ads. My thinking is listing new tires will generate more interest. I appreciate your opinions.
Papa G is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 04:03 AM   #2
Community Administrator

I think offering new tires to a buyer once the negotiations start would be better as the tires you had selected may not be acceptable to them.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:04 AM   #3

I think I would hold off until you get a prospective buyer. Who knows, someone may buy it with the intention of just parking it somewhere and tires wouldn't be an issue.
You could sweeten the deal with a new tire offer if you are close to closing a deal. I would disclose the age of the tires to any prospective buyer. I don't think anyone would want to sell something border line safe.
Just my opinion.
Lynn
Old 07-18-2016, 05:00 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes / No / Maybe.....

Tires are a major item for me. If I seen "New Tires" in the ad, this would get my attention.

If I inspect the MH and see old tires, I will immediately expect a 2 grand hit on the price.

Its easy for me to spend your money.. I would say find a set of Salun tires and slap them on it, cost should be $1200 - $1500.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:08 AM   #5

I would suspect most coaches in that year range, at least ones you're competing with in trying to sell, would not have new tires. I would leave as is and if the prospective buyer asks, tell him the age of the tires. Gauge his reaction and go from there.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:30 AM   #6

Most people look at tread depth, not age. Leave em on and see what happens.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:46 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
imho............if you are not in a hurry to get rid of the unit, leave the old tires on...........if you want more interest, replace the tires with a new set, and don't get the cheapest.............if I am looking at used units, I want newer, brand name rubber............I don't want the hassle of having to get new tires before I use the rv........plus is someone buys it that is not local to you, they would be more comfortable driving it home if it had new rubber.................and unless you are traveling all the time, tire age comes into play more often than tread depth..............good luck, hope you get what you are hoping for...............
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:51 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I wouldn't drop you selling price because of the tires or replace them now. If I was a seriously interested buyer, I'd drop my offering price because of the tires. That's going to happen whether you initially discount the price for the tires or not.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:12 AM   #9

Get a hard written quote for replacement tires of exact same or current replacements and hold onto it.

Add that to your "will take as is price" and advertise if in craigs list with brand new tires.

Explain in the listing that you have 8 year old tires and have quote for brand new ones that will be installed as part of the deal or they can subtract that amount from the price and drive it off.

Best as zero investment.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:07 AM   #10

Thanks all for taking the time to respond. A lot of good ideas. I think since I have some time I'll not get new ones now but mention it in the ads. Thanks again.
Papa G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:54 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would just let the buyer select his own tires and give him a discount in the amount you were going to spend!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:06 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Before you start negotiating on price I would have an idea of the price of tires then you can say if they are close to the price you want I'll even throw in new tires
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:14 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
At this price range I wouldn't not put new tires on.

I would tend to keep the price average and plan on selling " as is ". You can always talk about new tires if this helps with negotiation.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:40 AM   #14

Most "locals" are not going to care on the tires as they will want to get the unit and use it...less cost the better.

But if you have an add that can be seen from distance then also suggest yiu can pick up from airport and drop off at local reasonable place for them to stay ( they pay for that)

Do mention that inspectors have ready access and list a few of them as well.

Bottom line is make it real easy to buy from a distance.

Tags
need help