Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2017, 09:13 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Are the MH cores the same as a car?

Jacks-do you use the MH jacks or do you have "mechanic" jacks like the tripods?
There are essentially 2 different lengths and 2 different diameters of valve cores. They are both rated to handle 300 psi. There are also a number of specialty ones used with balancing powders and anti flat liquids.

Standard diameter long valve core:
Xtra Seal 17-490L - Valve Cores | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Standard diameter short valve core:
Xtra Seal 17-490T - Valve Cores | O'Reilly Auto Parts

As far as I know all motorhomes use the standard bore. Both our 2001 motorhome with 19.5" wheels and our 22013 motorhome with 22.5" wheels use the standard bore cores.

The length of the core is somewhat dependent on the length and configuration of your valve stems. As a rule of thumb valve stems 2" long or shorter use the short cores. Longer valve stems can use the longer cores if they don't have a bend in the area where the core is installed.

We had an experience with our first motorhome and the longer valve stems with long cores. The stems were about 6" long to clear the wheel covers. They had to be bent near the end to protrude through the covers. When they were properly configured to fit there was a bend in the area where the cores were installed. The long cores had to go around a radius and wouldn't seal properly. We had to replace the long cores with the short ones to get them to seal properly

Large Bore Long valve core:
Xtra Seal 17-840 - Large Bore Valve Core | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Large bore Short valve core:
Xtra Seal 17-850 - Large Bore Valve | O'Reilly Auto Parts

As for warrantying products they didn't sell it may have happened in the past, but I doubt they still do it. I called them just last week with a problem on our 507 system. The first thing I was asked was my name and address. Before they even heard what my problem was they looked up my information to confirm I had bought the system from them.

As it turned out our problem was from interference from other systems in the area. The only resolution was to reset our system if the problem reoccurred, or replace our monitor with a new one that is better shielded to resist interference. Since our system has worked fine with the exception of one day when we experienced interference I chose to just reset the system should the problem resurface.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
There are essentially 2 different lengths and 2 different diameters of valve cores. They are both rated to handle 300 psi. There are also a number of specialty ones used with balancing powders and anti flat liquids.

Standard diameter long valve core:
Xtra Seal 17-490L - Valve Cores | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Standard diameter short valve core:
Xtra Seal 17-490T - Valve Cores | O'Reilly Auto Parts

As far as I know all motorhomes use the standard bore. Both our 2001 motorhome with 19.5" wheels and our 22013 motorhome with 22.5" wheels use the standard bore cores.

The length of the core is somewhat dependent on the length and configuration of your valve stems. As a rule of thumb valve stems 2" long or shorter use the short cores. Longer valve stems can use the longer cores if they don't have a bend in the area where the core is installed.

We had an experience with our first motorhome and the longer valve stems with long cores. The stems were about 6" long to clear the wheel covers. They had to be bent near the end to protrude through the covers. When they were properly configured to fit there was a bend in the area where the cores were installed. The long cores had to go around a radius and wouldn't seal properly. We had to replace the long cores with the short ones to get them to seal properly

Large Bore Long valve core:
Xtra Seal 17-840 - Large Bore Valve Core | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Large bore Short valve core:
Xtra Seal 17-850 - Large Bore Valve | O'Reilly Auto Parts

As for warrantying products they didn't sell it may have happened in the past, but I doubt they still do it. I called them just last week with a problem on our 507 system. The first thing I was asked was my name and address. Before they even heard what my problem was they looked up my information to confirm I had bought the system from them.

As it turned out our problem was from interference from other systems in the area. The only resolution was to reset our system if the problem reoccurred, or replace our monitor with a new one that is better shielded to resist interference. Since our system has worked fine with the exception of one day when we experienced interference I chose to just reset the system should the problem resurface.
Thanks for this.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #17

Just got off the phone from TST. Somewhat disappointed but successful conversation.
I had sent a non functioning 510 sensor in as requested. After not hearing anything from them for 3 weeks I decided to call. I was pleasantly told 'oh yeah we were planning to get ahold of you'. (?) They said the depresser(?) in the sensor was plugged or splayed and it couldn't be repaired and it was out of warrantee. (4 years old) and they only warranted them for 1 year(?). However they could sent me a remanufactured unit (?) for 20$ or a new one for $50.00. (Since they couldn't repair mine I couldn't figure out what a remanufactured one was) so I opted for a new one. Said they would ship it right out and 'oh by the way' we could send a maintenance kit for 10$ more. What the hell, sure, why not.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:35 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Are the MH cores the same as a car?

Jacks-do you use the MH jacks or do you have "mechanic" jacks like the tripods?
Hikerdogs provided good info on the cores.

I use the MH jacks to hold the front end up if I'm ever removing a core of a steer axle wheel. You don't need to lift the wheels off the ground at all, just insure your tire doesn't go entirely flat on the rim incase something goes real wrong.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:15 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Just got off the phone from TST. Somewhat disappointed but successful conversation.
I had sent a non functioning 510 sensor in as requested. After not hearing anything from them for 3 weeks I decided to call. I was pleasantly told 'oh yeah we were planning to get ahold of you'. (?) They said the depresser(?) in the sensor was plugged or splayed and it couldn't be repaired and it was out of warrantee. (4 years old) and they only warranted them for 1 year(?). However they could sent me a remanufactured unit (?) for 20$ or a new one for $50.00. (Since they couldn't repair mine I couldn't figure out what a remanufactured one was) so I opted for a new one. Said they would ship it right out and 'oh by the way' we could send a maintenance kit for 10$ more. What the hell, sure, why not.
There was another post (still trying to find it) where a member used his 3D printer to make a new insert for the sensor. the insert is the plastic part which depresses the valve core stem…which is what you need.
I bet that is part of the maint. kit…and may a new battery.

Can you post a picture of the kit when you receive it?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 03-15-2017, 07:14 PM   #20

TST emailed me back-7 days from my original request.

They asked where I bought them, the code number on the sensor, and they would replace them.

I told them the vendor has agreed to a replacement.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:31 AM   #21

Just a quick note about messing with the valve stem cores. Only turn them out 1/4 turn. It you turn it to much, you could have problems. On our inner duals we had the braided steel flexible extensions. I will preface this with saying that while trying to get a sensor to read, I really don't know how much I backed the core out, but it was enough for me to realize the core was actually a flexible cable attached to the core that activated the actual valve stem core on the inner dual. when the cable popped out, I couldn't reach the inner dual to get it back in with out removing the wheel. Luckily, the place where I store the coach is an old trucking company and they had the proper tools to remove the outer wheel so that I could reinstall the extension. I have since had solid extensions installed on both inner duals.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help