Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #1

Need help with TST507 TPMS

Purchased a new TST507 after all the rave reviews on here, especially about their customer service.

I am having problems with two sensors so I called technical support. Sorry-we only warranty them if we sell them. This was disappointing to hear since I bought mine new on eBay.

The first problem is a battery leaked and is corroded.

The second problem is a sensor that doesn't read or when it does reads "0". This is after recoding, changing tires etc.

To be clear-TST did try to help me with the second problem with some ideas-which did not work, but replacing the bad sensors-nope. Maybe my expectations are out of line on this but it was disappointing.

I've contacted the eBay seller-a national RV place-who told me they would contact TST to see if they could help.

I know the corroded sensor needs replacement but does anyone have any ideas about the no reading/reading "0" problem?
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2017, 11:49 AM   #2

Does the "0" sensor report accurate temperature?

If so, it sounds like the sensor is not engaging with the tire stem valve.
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:42 PM   #3

RMD3819,
Well Sir, it's too bad about some of your issues with TST. A buddy and I just called them yesterday and spoke with Debbie. She was outstanding in helping us program a newly purchased 507 system with flow-through sensors. She was outstandingly patient even though my buddy and I stumbled a bit during the programming. She was so helpful and, made the programming considerably easier than the printed instructions could ever do.
Anyway, keep us informed of what the outcome is. You never know, it may happen to one of us in the future.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:56 PM   #4

TST was very helpful to me when I added 4 new sensors for the toad - bought them thru Techno-RV (original system came direct from TST about 10 years ago). Also spoke with Debbie - she didn't care where I had bought the sensors - was extremely helpful troubleshooting a problem. Who'd you speak to at TST? ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:48 AM   #5

I'm not surprised TST will only warranty items they sell. If you look at the prices on e bay they're considerably cheaper than buying through TST themselves or through one of their authorized distributors.

In all likelihood the e bay sellers buy at a substaantial discount from a distributor. Part of a standard contract with a distributor usually entails the retailer pick up a portion (if not all) warranty expenses.

As for those bought through Techno RV, they are an authorized distributor, not a 3rd party retailer. As a distributor they likely have a more liberal contract with the manufacturer than a retailer.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:54 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I think it's safe to assume that many (most?) companies won't warranty sales through eBay, you didn't buy it from an authorized reseller and they can't prove/disprove that it was actually a new unit.

As for the zero read, when mine did that it was due to weak batteries in the sending unit. Replaced the batteries and everything came back to life. I don't recall the exact number, but it's just 'watch' batteries in there, easy to replace.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
I think it's safe to assume that many (most?) companies won't warranty sales through eBay, you didn't buy it from an authorized reseller and they can't prove/disprove that it was actually a new unit.

As for the zero read, when mine did that it was due to weak batteries in the sending unit. Replaced the batteries and everything came back to life. I don't recall the exact number, but it's just 'watch' batteries in there, easy to replace.
The battery is a "CR 1632".
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post
Does the "0" sensor report accurate temperature?

If so, it sounds like the sensor is not engaging with the tire stem valve.
Yes it reports temperature. I switched it to a different tire and now it reads "4" consistently.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
RMD3819,
Well Sir, it's too bad about some of your issues with TST. A buddy and I just called them yesterday and spoke with Debbie. She was outstanding in helping us program a newly purchased 507 system with flow-through sensors. She was outstandingly patient even though my buddy and I stumbled a bit during the programming. She was so helpful and, made the programming considerably easier than the printed instructions could ever do.
Anyway, keep us informed of what the outcome is. You never know, it may happen to one of us in the future.
Scott
I think I spoke to Martha. After replaying the conversation in my head I probably wasn't clear enough about who I purchased it from on eBay-a national RV sales chain. When I was on the call I just figured I would send them back to the seller-which is what I did and am awaiting replacements.

The TST website says to send defective items to them with a copy of the receipt for warranty. Doesn't exclude purchases from non TST authorized distributors.

There is no warranty info with the unit.

It seems logical that TST would honor their warranty even if bought new elsewhere. If my Whirlpool oven in my coach fails (under warranty) I can deal with Whirlpool and not have to return to my RV dealer. Shouldn't that same logic apply here?

I am not trying to bash or nitpick this. Just trying to get my first ever TPMS up and running.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:08 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The pressure reading MIGHT be corrected by adjusting the valve core at the end of the stem or in the case of an extension at either core in the system. I think that means in your case to back the core out as little as 1/4 turn. It could also be caused by a "sticky" core or a slight bent plunger on the core.

One thing I have learned over the years is that when ever I am adjusting pressure or installing/removing the sensors is to care a core tool and some extra cores. It is not unusual for me to replace a core or 2 a year.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
The pressure reading MIGHT be corrected by adjusting the valve core at the end of the stem or in the case of an extension at either core in the system. I think that means in your case to back the core out as little as 1/4 turn. It could also be caused by a "sticky" core or a slight bent plunger on the core.

One thing I have learned over the years is that when ever I am adjusting pressure or installing/removing the sensors is to care a core tool and some extra cores. It is not unusual for me to replace a core or 2 a year.
I hate to seem like a dunce here...

Are the cores the same as a car tire ?

My only experience with changing a tire core is with the lawn mower. The tire deflated with the mower-will that happen with the RV or is there some valve or something to prevent that?
Old 03-14-2017, 03:47 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
I hate to seem like a dunce here...

Are the cores the same as a car tire ?

My only experience with changing a tire core is with the lawn mower. The tire deflated with the mower-will that happen with the RV or is there some valve or something to prevent that?
The tire will deflate without the core.

If you have to remove and replace the core, you can loose a lot of air especially if you fumble around while doing it. Usually, when I do my tire work I'm on my jacks. When that is the case I wouldn't get worried about loss of air because your jacks will keep the tire from going "flat". If I run into a core problem when not on my jacks I won't remove the core of my front tires until I lower the front jacks. I don't worry about changing cores for rear and tag wheels.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
The tire will deflate without the core.

If you have to remove and replace the core, you can loose a lot of air especially if you fumble around while doing it. Usually, when I do my tire work I'm on my jacks. When that is the case I wouldn't get worried about loss of air because your jacks will keep the tire from going "flat". If I run into a core problem when not on my jacks I won't remove the core of my front tires until I lower the front jacks. I don't worry about changing cores for rear and tag wheels.
Are the MH cores the same as a car?

Jacks-do you use the MH jacks or do you have "mechanic" jacks like the tripods?
Old 03-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You can do all of your testing on a car tire, the same sensors work on the Toad and the RV.

There is a sensitivity to the core stem in that a small plastic disk in the sensor needs to depress the core stem...this is why you want to try it on other tires.

ALSO, I have called TST before , and received replacement sensors WITHOUT any paper work. Debbie just told me to send them in with a note and they will get replaced.
There was no question on where they were bought....just when they were purchased. They even exchanged 4 flow-thru sensors for the smaller ones for use on my toad...I had orig. ordered flow-thru for the toad.

Regards,

Dan

Tags
need help