Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #1

Need some help-generator/transfer switch

Hello friends,
We have a 1999 Discovery with an Onan Lp generator and intellitec transfer switch.
When using the generator, the transfer switch will not engage.
I tested the generator voltage at the input to the switch. It ranged up and down from 112 to 122 volts within 10 sec or so. Does the Intellitec transfer switch block a transfer if the generator voltage is not stable. Think it should.
Regards. Appreciate your help and greatly appreciate IRV2.
JimB

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2014, 11:36 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
You didn't provide the model number of your Intellitec transfer switch, so it's hard to give a complete answer. Generally, a transfer switch just senses a power source and switches to it. Intellitek does make a transfer switch with an EMS (energy management system) built in to them, usually with a display panel to show what it's measuring. The voltages you report are not outside the limits of normal U.S. 120 v AC power, so I'm not sure even if you had an EMS built in it would have stopped power pass through.

With everything unplugged, I'd start by checking the contact points of the actual relay and all connections to the switch. Those big, multi-strand cables can loosen in normal use and need to be re-torqued occasionally.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to hammer55
usually a transfer switch will work when it senses a loss of power from the main power source, if the main power from the house or pole from the park is lost, then the switch will take place, but not all have this capability, most are for when power is restored from the main source, so when you are running your generator and the coach is sill plugged in, it keeps the two sources from being energized at the same time, but still, some coaches do not switch power, they just keep to two sources from powering at the same time, a lot are a manual engage from what I ever had, but I never had a real good motor home, not that I wouldn't love one, my retirement does not afford me that great of a rig
Old 12-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #4

Most ATS switch when they see power on the backup source as no need to draw power in normal mode.

Inspect your ats to locate exact model then google it it get manual so you can confirm how it should work.

Carefully open the ats and locate the generator input and then start generator to verify the voltage.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi JBDISCOVERY,
Dumb question, did you measure the voltage outbound from the transfer switch (TS) when the generator is running and warmed up? The voltages mentioned in the OP are within USA specs. I doubt the TS cares what the voltage is going through it as long as there is enough voltage to sense shore power.

Many transfer switches default to the generator so there is no engaging of the TS. When on shore power, one will hear a "click" indicating the engaging of the transfer switch for shore power. When on shore power, do you hear a "click" from the TS?

When running the generator, if you have power incoming to the TS and no power out going from the TS check the contacts. Make sure the solenoid/relay has disengaged (assuming the TS is not engaging for generator and engaging for shore power).
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
There should be 2 sets of "contactors" one set for the genset, and the other for shore power......genset takes priority....... both make "click-clunk" noise when the coil pulls the contacts together.......
Gary, Many transfer switches default to the generator so there is no engaging of the TS.....
when the genset is started, and the transfer switch does not engage, how does the Coach get powered up?

Complete Name: Intellitec Transfer Switches
Brief Information: 50 Amp Transfer Relay Switch - Single Input
The 50 amp Transfer Relay is used to transfer the power source of a coach between the shore power and the generator. Power from the shore power cord is fed to the normally closed contacts of two contactors. This allows the power from both lines of the shore cord to pass through into the coach distribution panel.

Power from the generator is fed to the normally open contacts and to a delay circuit on the printed circuit board. When the power from the generator is applied, the delay circuit senses the power from Line 1 and applied DC power to the contactor coils, after approximately 15 seconds. This pulls in the two contactors, applying the power from the generator to the coach.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #7

I recently changed the automatic transfer switch in our coach, which while tedious, wasn't too difficult. After I was done, an old timer suggested what I thought was a brilliant solution for next time. Simply hard wire a female receptacle on the generator output. If you're running on the gen, plug your shore power cord into the gen. If you're on shore power, unplug from the gen and plug into the post. Nothing to fail, no expensive parts to buy.
By the way, if you decide to change the ATS, use your phone camera to take lots of pics of wire placement so you don't stress trying to remember what wire went where.
BigDBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDBright View Post
I recently changed the automatic transfer switch in our coach, which while tedious, wasn't too difficult. After I was done, an old timer suggested what I thought was a brilliant solution for next time. Simply hard wire a female receptacle on the generator output. If you're running on the gen, plug your shore power cord into the gen. If you're on shore power, unplug from the gen and plug into the post. Nothing to fail, no expensive parts to buy.
By the way, if you decide to change the ATS, use your phone camera to take lots of pics of wire placement so you don't stress trying to remember what wire went where.
That 'old timer' was simply explaining how almost all RVs with generators were wired before the common use of auto transfer switches. The money you save by yanking the defective ATS and putting in an outlet instead of a new ATS will probably be lost on the sale of the RV.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-04-2015, 12:13 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi palehorse89,
To answer your question, the transfer switch is in the normally non-energized position. Which means the contacts providing power from the generator are closed. If the TS does not sense shore power, nothing is energized in the TS. Same if the TS senses power from the generator. Without being energized, power flows through the contacts (normally closed) supplying power from the generator to the coach. Power from the generator means no clicks, clunks or any noise from the TS. If there is no power from the generator and the TS senses shore power, the TS is energized and the "clunk/click" is heard. The normally open contacts are now closed. Power flows from the shore pedestal to the coach.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I would never substitute my transfer switch for manual plugs although this was how my Class C was wired.

I guess we've become spoiled. We also have automatic generator start in the event of a power failure. We travel with dogs and have to have the coach cool, so when hooked to shore power and it fails the generator will come on if the set point for the temperature is met.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
My ATS doesn't connect to the generator until a delay to allow gennie to start without a load on it and gets up to proper RPM. There is a clunk when hooking up to shore or gennie.

Bob & Donna
Old 01-04-2015, 01:41 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi palehorse89,
To answer your question, the transfer switch is in the normally non-energized position. Which means the contacts providing power from the generator are closed. If the TS does not sense shore power, nothing is energized in the TS. Same if the TS senses power from the generator. Without being energized, power flows through the contacts (normally closed) supplying power from the generator to the coach. Power from the generator means no clicks, clunks or any noise from the TS. If there is no power from the generator and the TS senses shore power, the TS is energized and the "clunk/click" is heard. The normally open contacts are now closed. Power flows from the shore pedestal to the coach.
As far as I know, there are 2 contactors, genset/inverter, shore power, if the contactor for the genset is NC , with no switching(no click/clunk), when shore power is present, would it not be back feeding the genset? And conflicting when plugged in and one starts the genset. Are they switching the genset's neutral wire for isolation with the contactor? Interested and learning......... I always thought both contactors were NO till commanded to close by the pickup coils........and other governing features.......that control the transfer switch.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:47 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi palehorse89,
I do not know how to explain this any different than I have. I'm an ME not an EE. The bottom line is the complete set of contacts for the generator are on the normally closed side. The complete set of contacts for shore power are on the normally open side. Only one set of contacts can be engaged.

I haver a surge protector on the shore side and the generator has a built in delay on its' side. I have watched the TS for both shore and generator sourced power. I am communicating what I see/hear. Not much else to say.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:28 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi palehorse89,
I do not know how to explain this any different than I have. I'm an ME not an EE. The bottom line is the complete set of contacts for the generator are on the normally closed side. The complete set of contacts for shore power are on the normally open side. Only one set of contacts can be engaged.

I haver a surge protector on the shore side and the generator has a built in delay on its' side. I have watched the TS for both shore and generator sourced power. I am communicating what I see/hear. Not much else to say.
Thank you Gary

Tags
generator, transfer switch