Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Need to replace damaged wallboard !

We have water damaged wallboard (vinyl print coated) that needs to be replaced on the passenger side from the door to the center of the dining table. Major leak over the door area. I don't feel that we will be able to match it up so that means a complete re-do. My questions is: how to get the overhead cabinets down without damaging them? Would 'wall paneling' be the same as what is on it now. Looks as if we will be doing the complete front area of the MH.
We have the leak problem handled so now to make the inside look like new again..
Thanks for any suggestions.

"Travlin with a song and prayer"
Me n Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The cabinets should be screwed to the wall, and you can replace the paneling with louan, its a thin (1/8") plywood type paneling. Then put some matching wallpaper on and you're good to go.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thanks a bunch. I was hoping it would be real simple.. I could see that it was luan because it is wrinkled and splitting especially on each side of the door. Do you think I could just peel the old vinyl off instead of taking the luan off also.. then make the whole 'room' look the same on both sides of the MH in the front. It would be a shortcut for us..
take care,

Old 08-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the existing board is in good shape I would also use it. Added work and expense is something we don't need. Seems like you got it under control. Enjoy.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thanks Offshore,
For the most part the luan is in good shape with the exception of around the door. So we may get by with only purchasing a couple of pieces.. but the vinyl is coming away in other places also , I feel the heat has done the damage on this item.. glue can only take so much heat before it loses it ''stickiness'' .
have a great day
Helen

Old 08-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MENSLOWPOKE View Post
Thanks a bunch. I was hoping it would be real simple.. I could see that it was luan because it is wrinkled and splitting especially on each side of the door. Do you think I could just peel the old vinyl off instead of taking the luan off also.. then make the whole 'room' look the same on both sides of the MH in the front. It would be a shortcut for us..
take care,
Be careful taking cabinets down. They are actually screwed into the frame members on the sides. that is where strength is. When they go back in you need to make sure you screw them into the frame members AGAIN !!. When you have it apart , it would be a good idea to measure(several times), take pictures of exactly where the frame members are and use next size bigger screws to go into same holes if possible.

Good luck !!

cheers

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thanks Dave,
great idea,,,and thanks for letting us know about the sidewall frame members. It would be nice if we had the 'blueprints' of our MH. DH is pretty good at this sort of thing, lucky enough to have a son that can help also.. I just want to supervise, that is why I am getting all the suggestions together. but I do the painting or the wallpaper if I want it done right..
Sort of like our stick houses,, no project is as easy as we thought it would be. I find that blue paint tape is great for marking things.