Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
Needed a Tow!

After spending a lovely week at our favorite local state park, went to start the MH and nothing. Turn the key, no clicking, no starting, just some dash lights and the steps retracting. Tried the switch to bring in the aux battery and still nothing. Would not even shift out of Park. Tried jumping from the wife's car, nothing. Determined not the battery. Tried several things but still no go. Determined time to try out the road service part of my Progressive RV policy.

Called them up and after a few automated responses got to the road side service staff and to a human being. The operator appeared either new to the job or did not deal with MH's too often but otherwise very helpful. She had to call me back after the initial call to get details about the MH. She said she would txt me with the name of the tow company, phone number, and estimated time of arrival. After she hung up I received a txt within 5 minutes.

Unfortunately the tow company was not as timely as one would like, and we sat for 5 hours (after an initial ETA of 2 hours) at our campsite before they finally showed up (after dark). I must add that Progressive repeatedly contacted me to see how things were going and would also contact the tow provider. Seems there were issues in getting the big truck needed (so they both told me).

Well the truck did arrive and the driver was most friendly and apologetic. He did show me where they were given the wrong address to go to, which explained perhaps the last 20 minutes but not the 5 hours.

So now the MH is at the Chevy dealer undergoing repair. Got a call and bad starter. I'm having them do other items at the same time.

The net: Other than providing a bad address (close but no cigar) I feel Progressive did a decent job. Tow company not so much. It's a good thing this happened 20 miles from home and not on a long trip.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
We were stuck off the side of the road 40 min. out from wells nevada. Good sam sent a lg. flat bed to get us towed. Took about 4hrs total. Still love good sam road service.

Don and Patrice
2006 Journey 36
dstinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #3

Next time that happens, whack the starter with a big hammer. I'll bet it would have gotten you running.
Mark Anderson - FMCA 351514 - Louisville, KY
2007 Sportscoach Pathfinder 377DS - Freightliner XC
2006 Jeep Commander
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
been there, done that. the hammer thing. watch out for the un-fused hot wire from the battery. it *should* have an insulated cover on the end of the wire.
1999 Winnebago Minnie 29', Ford V10, Close to stock.
W4MBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
After spending my career building Freeway Bridges and viewing many , many accidents of people running into the back if disabled vehicles . I personally will not crawl underneath any vehicle to do anything period while it is along side of any Freeway//Highway. Sitting in your broke down RV/Rig isn't much safer either if you have to do that think about where you want to be when you might get hit. People amaze me that stand between 2 vehicles while talking etc, I just cringe when I see that. I want to pull over and tell them but I can't save the world.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
Next time that happens, whack the starter with a big hammer. I'll bet it would have gotten you running.
If you jumper the solenoid and just bump it a hair, the engine will later start using the key or it should at any rate. This is my first hand experience.
03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
whacking the fuel tank can also dislodge a stuck fuel pump (sometimes) whaack gently please
Dave and Laura & two cats
02 Discovery with Accord toad
retired auto rv tech and teacher, wife rt nurse
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
If you couldn't shift it out of park , it sounds like a power issue. I'll bet it was the cable connection on the starter solonoid.
2007 Allegro 34wa .WH w20 8.1 6speed. Bow tie powered 79 CJ7 or a 2014 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Toad.
jeepfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question to the OP. Did they remove the driveshaft before towing?
Gene & Ginger 04 Winnebago Adventurer 33V, Workhorse, 11 Subaru Forester (Toad), Blue Ox Avail, BrakeBuddy, ScanGaugeII, BatteryMINDer, KONI FSD's
Gene's Pictures Ginger's Pictures Gene's Videos
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
the guy that towed me in August towed from the rear and tied off the steering wheel. He said the boom has difficulty reaching back to the front wheels. Lifted it from the hitch and it went flawlessly.

98 Beaver Monterey, 3126 Cat
2010 Toyota Matrix on dolly
beachboy27 is offline   Reply With Quote