Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2018, 06:44 PM   #1

Needing a microwave/convection oven

Our 21 yo Sharp carousel microwave/convection oven suddenly quit while DW was baking.
This appliance, Model R-7A85, is in a cabinet with an opening 20.5” wide and 12” high and a depth of 18”. It does not have a vent. It was an OEM install by Safari but is no longer made. Model R-820 BK is mentioned as a replacement on another forum, but it is unfortunately too long in depth.
I did replace the internal fuse but it failed after a few seconds so it requires a more substantial repair of $200 or more.
Anyone have a suggestion on where to find this appliance, suitable for use in M/Hs, and might have those dimensions? I hate to spend money on a dead horse.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2018, 08:47 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We recently replaced our Half Time Oven by Master Chef with the replacement model. While ours was a direct replacement, maybe this will work for you.

https://masterchefoven.info/collections/frontpage
Old 06-22-2018, 11:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc2640 View Post
We recently replaced our Half Time Oven by Master Chef with the replacement model. While ours was a direct replacement, maybe this will work for you.

https://masterchefoven.info/collections/frontpage
Thanks Jayc
I had looked at this MW, as it is carried by Sears. How is yours installed? Mine will be in a cabinet, without a dedicated vent. My previous mw worked fine but I was worried this one would need venting or it might get too hot also would 1600 watts be too much power, as my previous MW was 850 watts?
Old 06-22-2018, 11:33 PM   #4

There are several manufacturers that have models specifically for RV use. They claim that they withstand vibrations better, etc. but who knows exactly how accurate that is. Dometic, Advent, and Contoure are ones that come to my mind immediately.

RVupgrades.com, an iRV2 forum sponsor and founder, sells a Contoure model that many have used to replace the older Sharp models. It's dimensions are 20.44" W x 12.38" H x 18.81" D ...would that work in your space?

Although it has compact dimensions, it is quite an upgrade from your Sharp model as it is 1.2 Cu. Ft. of cooking space and 1,000 watts.

Contoure RV185B-CON 1.2 Cu. Ft. RV Convection Microwave

If that one doesn't work, you may want to do a quick search of Dometic and Advent RV convection microwaves but generally, both do not have very good reviews from what I remember.

edit: I didn't read what you said about venting before I posted. I'm not sure how the Contoure would accommodate that but I'll attach the installation instructions if that might help. I haven't installed one myself.
2nd edit: nevermind, after looking at those instructions, they are not much help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rv-185b-con-install-inst.pdf (97.4 KB, 36 views)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:24 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddndee View Post
Thanks Jayc
I had looked at this MW, as it is carried by Sears. How is yours installed? Mine will be in a cabinet, without a dedicated vent. My previous mw worked fine but I was worried this one would need venting or it might get too hot also would 1600 watts be too much power, as my previous MW was 850 watts?
Mine came with a wooden frame that screwed into the bottom of the cabinet, and the oven rested on that. Then a plastic frame fitted around the oven and covered the gap between the oven and the cabinet.

The oven comes with an cooling fan on top that cools the oven and directs the air out through the plastic frame.

I'm no electrician, but I can't see 1600 watts being a problem. My wife's hair dryer runs at about that. If you were running on generator and had to many high wattage appliances going, that could be a problem.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:44 PM   #6

Thanks for your help. I will call Master Chef and get some specific questions answered. Their website says “this model can not be built in. Countertop only!” I am not sure built in is the same as being in a cabinet.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
There are several manufacturers that have models specifically for RV use. They claim that they withstand vibrations better, etc. but who knows exactly how accurate that is. Dometic, Advent, and Contoure are ones that come to my mind immediately.

RVupgrades.com, an iRV2 forum sponsor and founder, sells a Contoure model that many have used to replace the older Sharp models. It's dimensions are 20.44" W x 12.38" H x 18.81" D ...would that work in your space?

Although it has compact dimensions, it is quite an upgrade from your Sharp model as it is 1.2 Cu. Ft. of cooking space and 1,000 watts.

Contoure RV185B-CON 1.2 Cu. Ft. RV Convection Microwave

If that one doesn't work, you may want to do a quick search of Dometic and Advent RV convection microwaves but generally, both do not have very good reviews from what I remember.

edit: I didn't read what you said about venting before I posted. I'm not sure how the Contoure would accommodate that but I'll attach the installation instructions if that might help. I haven't installed one myself.
2nd edit: nevermind, after looking at those instructions, they are not much help.

Thanks Theroc,
That Contoure sounds interesting, the depth might be too long though. Maybe the trim package will blend the 3/4” overhang in the front.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:05 PM   #8

As the difficulty in finding a replacement that doesn’t require a mod of some sorts is diminishing, I might just repair what I have. The new microwaves really don’t have the build quality
Old 06-28-2018, 11:14 PM   #9

Needing a microwave/convection oven

Well, although I liked the Contoure, it is too long for my short depth. Also, even though I liked my Sharp Carousel microwave/convection oven I can’t justify trying to resurrect it. Tomorrow, I’ll order the Master Chef Half Time built-in micro/conv oven. I only hope I like it and it is reliable.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:52 PM   #10

It looks like a nice unit. I think you'll be happy with it. Thanks for reporting back to let us know what you're doing.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave